Popular Classical Music
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,757 of 8,694
An interesting teaching piece worth watching even if you know nothing about reading sheet music.

It shows the complicated technicalities of what we might consider a relatively simple melodic piece. Maybe that is why it is such a masterpiece!

The video is 30' long but the first 12-15' is probably enough to get the idea.

Oops, wrong video!

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,759 of 8,694
L'Arpeggiata - Christina Pluhar
La Tarantella: Antidotum Tarantulae
This album is not just about the southern Italian tarantella dance; it actually proclaims itself as an antidotum Tarantulae, an antidote to the bite of the tarantula. Both the spider (which is not the same animal as the feared tarantula of the southwestern U.S.) and, indirectly, the dance are named for the city of Taranto in southern Italy.

Wonderful recording. So crisp, so beautiful, so fragile.

A sample:

Deezer:
https://www.deezer.com/us/album/340722

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,764 of 8,694
He also does a cracKing version of No.5

I love how he does the lighter notes with such delicacy and with such fluidity!

Does anyone else do it better?

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,766 of 8,694

Good performance and playing by Kissin for sure. But I have a problem when the conductor does not place the first and second violins antiphonally on stage.
There are several dialogues between first and second violins in this and other works both by Beethoven and other composers of this period.
Nice little touches in the scoring that get lost in recordings like this one.
And to be quite honest I would rather be the keyboard under the delicately touching hands of Katia Buniatishvili :
Prom 42: Estonian Festival Orchestra, Paavo Jarvi, and Khatia Buniatishvili in Part, Grieg and Sibelius. as in this recent Prom where she plays another of the truly Great Piano Concertos live at the Proms.
If you need to see her as well there are, as I am sure you already know, quite a few Youtube videos of her. Her live Concert of Beethoven's 1st Concerto being one of my favourites .
But this Proms Concert is also great.
Cheers Christer

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,767 of 8,694
Mozart - Mass in C minor "Kyrie"

Royal Stockholm Phillarmonic Orchestra & Monteverdi Choir
John Eliot Gardiner, conductor

Musically very good.
The soloist is one of my absolute current favourites among sopranos worldwide.
Too bad the SQ really sucks.
I care a thousand times more about good SQ than HD Video.
Too many Youtube and other sites boast about HD quality but unfortunately it only applies to the visuals in most cases.
Music is first and foremost about sound.
Miah is good looking but close-ups in HD of oboists and other distorted faces is something I can live happily without.
I would much rather have decent SQ than HD video quality in most cases.
Cheers Christer

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,769 of 8,694

Kissin is pretty good indeed. For something a bit different the Kempff / Leitner is worth checking out, also on YT.

Miklos Rozsa - Ben Hur: Entr'acte - City of Prague Philharmonic with cute violinist

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back