Pop Music that is secretly good
Apr 11, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 44
Kid A a pop album? I must disagree.

Anyway, there is plenty of good pop music out there to listen to that you don't have to be ashamed about. You could check into Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Beulah, Apples in Stereo, The Olivia Tremor Control, Aspera, Of Montreal, Circulatory System, The Clientele, Love Is All, Dungen for some pretty catchy 60s style psychadelic pop. None of them have female vocals, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for. P.E.E. is a great pop band that does have female vocals, but they're a bit 'out-there', probably not your cup of tea. Worth a look though.

As for genuinely popular modern pop artists that are here today, gone tomorrow... well I have nothing nice to say about the majority of them, so I shan't say anything at all. There's a reason they all seem to disappear so fast, let's just leave it at that.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 44
i'm a sucker for the Beach Boys... have been since i was 12 years old. even as i was getting into punk and hardcore, i still secretly cherished my Beach Boys albums. i taught myself to play guitar with the Endless Summer songbook.

it wasn't until much later that i found out they actually had cache amongst the pop literati, and indy bands (The Pixies, The Jesus and Mary Chain) began coming out of the closet as big fans, that i realized i was actually not dorky, but in fact cutting edge.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #20 of 44
Dido is one of my favorite pop female vocalists.

Some other female pop artists I listen to include:

Natalie Imbruglia
Donna Lewis
Lene Marlin
Avril Lavigne
Hilary Duff
Kelly Clarkson
Lindsay Lohan
Marion Raven
Bic Runga
Christina Aguilera
Coco Lee
Utada Hikaru
Corrs
Cranberries
Everything But The Girl

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 44
You people are going to send me to the poorhouse; too many good suggestions for music!

Since the "sub-thread" here is female vocalists, another two bands with good female lead vocals are The Sundays and Belly; more alternative rock-ish.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #22 of 44
I think Coco Lee is ok and probably one of the more talented artists in the China region. I've noticed that a lot of the asian popstars (mostly the movie stars that try to sing) sound horrible and their pitch is off, but I don't complain cause they are attractive
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 44
Honestly, saying you like Dido is not really brave.
biggrin.gif
I've never heard her lumped in with Britney Spears and she shouldn't be. But anyway...

I like female dance/pop music. It also helps that a majority of them are attractive.
biggrin.gif

Rachel Stevens (hot!)
Robyn
Annie (have you seen the Chewing Gum video? Wow)
Kylie Minogue
Imogen Heap/Frou Frou
80's era Madonna

And I like one song from the following:

Jennifer Paige - Crush (This song is the bomb and you know it. Even Dismemberment Plan couldn't top it with their cover)
Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone (C'mon, you can't not like this. It even rips off the YYY's Maps guitar breakdown and pulls it off nicely)
Amerie - Just One Thing

There's a lot more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
another two bands with good female lead vocals are The Sundays...

Harriet Wheeler is my favorite female vocalist of all-time. She doesn't have the most powerful voice or the greatest range or anything, but it sounds so pretty. And she was quite the hottie in the 90's as well.
icon10.gif
My copy of Static & Silence was so beat up so I picked up another on this forum.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #25 of 44
If you want some relatively unknown indiepop, start trolling for the Elephant 6 Collective bands. There are more than six of them, and if you enjoy the Beatles, Beach Boys, et al., at least one of them will scratch your itch. Probably the best known record from these bands would be "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel. But look at the rest of them- you should find something you like.

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by geforcewong
Christina Aguilera!

I really believe she has a nice voice, it's just her choice of music and clothing (or lack therefore of) that I question. The same goes for Kelly Clarkson, good voice, just cursed with the "American Idol" image. I haven't heard much from Hilary Duff lately, but I feel she's one of the girls with a nice voice and potential that was lost to the teenage-pop-princess curse.

Beach Boys brings back memories from my youth...
icon10.gif

As for Asian singers, I dislike Coco Lee and Utada Hikaru. There are a few songs I can tolerate from them, but over all too much pop/RnB for my taste. Give me Ayumi Hamasaki and Uverworld anyday.
icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 44
You get to a certain age when you just don't care anymore.

I unabashedly love ABBA's Dancing Queen. And... erm... sometimes I dance along.

Also Avril is ridiculously catchy.

m

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
(No fair using Britney as an example if you are male and have the guts to admit in a public forum that you like any of her songs; the airhead is just too gorgeous, and that is obviously coloring your judgment. If you are 16, you are excused. OK, if you are male and it's one of her videos, it's ok to like it no matter how old you are, just don't tell anybody.
580smile.gif
)

http://www.hollywoodrag.com/images/u...bikini_001.jpg

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #30 of 44
uh I'll toss in.. Ayumi Hamasaki?
tongue.gif

Maybe it's just the language barrier (ie I have absolutely no understanding of the Japanese language whatsoever), but the translated lyrics I've read on fansites for her music seem sort of deep and poetic for a lot of songs.

Come to think of it, Utada's stuff seems deepish too.

Maybe the usual American pop that the OP is trying to avoid is just so bad that I can call Ayumi and other Jpop artists poetic lol. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back