Pop Music that is secretly good
Apr 7, 2006 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I know I'm not the only one, so fess up. There are artists who through their own behavior, marketing or chance wind up being labled "Pop" and get no respect among "audiophiles," even though their music is excellant.

I'm in my mid 40's and have been married for over 20 years, so I no longer care what anyone thinks about my musical taste.

I like all kinds of different music (except old Country and ANY Rap unless you include Linkin Park, which has Rap influence to be sure, but is still great IMO). My favorite genre is Alternative Rock. Since Alternative Rock can mean just about anything these days, what I mean by Alternative Rock is most accurately characterized by the early/mid 90's post-grunge stuff--Smashing Pumpkins would be the best example of what I mean by Alternative Rock.

So, getting back to my point, what "Pop" music to you secretly love?

I like Dido. No, that's not quite true; I LOVE Dido. I find her music perfect for office listening. I'm a lawyer, and I can't go blasting MelonCollie & The Infinite Sadness in my office and maintain my "cover" as a professional. (That's what headphones are for--hee hee).

Anyway, I've always been a sucker for female vocalists from the UK for some reason, and that's probably part of it. Her voice is beautiful, and she has real talent in my opinion. I can listen to her music without being overly distracted, and it is uplifting. A lot of it sounds the same, but it's all pleasant. I can listen to her music frequently, without getting tired of it.

Another unusual observation is that there are no songs on any of her albums that I dislike to the point that I'll bypass the track. There are very few other artists who don't have at least one song I can't stand. There are NO other "Pop" artists who don't have at least one song that makes me want to hurl.

If perchance I have stimulated any interest, check out "Dido Live at Brixton Academy" on DVD. It is a very well produced concert DVD, and also includes an audio CD. It is one of the best live concert DVD's out there in terms of production quality, and the playlist includes most of her best work. Sound options include Dolby Digital 2.O, 5.1, and DTS.

Anyone else care to confess? Which artists are unfairly branded as unworthy by "Pop" stigma?

(No fair using Britney as an example if you are male and have the guts to admit in a public forum that you like any of her songs; the airhead is just too gorgeous, and that is obviously coloring your judgment. If you are 16, you are excused. OK, if you are male and it's one of her videos, it's ok to like it no matter how old you are, just don't tell anybody.
580smile.gif
)

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 44
very_evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
There are artists who through their own behavior, marketing or chance wind up being labled "Pop" and get no respect among "audiophiles," even though their music is excellant.

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to equipment.

biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
very_evil_smiley.gif

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to equipment.
biggrin.gif

Oh please; surely you can do better than that.

Beuler? Beuler? Beuler?

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 44
For me, modern country is the new "Pop" music in America. And I am happy to admit, without shame, that I listen to it a bunch. Right now, Rascal Flatts' "What Hurts The Most" is playing in my head.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 44
the postal service - give up

and

Air - the virgin suicides soundtrack

are probably the popiest albums im into. but thats just current stuff. the velvet underground could be pretty poppy. and the talking heads might be considered pop. and the beatles!

every once in a while i listen to some neil diamond.

Apr 8, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
(No fair using Britney as an example if you are male and have the guts to admit in a public forum that you like any of her songs; the airhead is just too gorgeous, and that is obviously coloring your judgment. If you are 16, you are excused. OK, if you are male and it's one of her videos, it's ok to like it no matter how old you are, just don't tell anybody.
580smile.gif
)

ROTFLMAO

I like a lot of pop music. I'll even admit to having bought the Hilary Duff "Most Wanted" album, although my dear mother jacked it from me after I'd only had it for a day... I haven't seen it since.

The whole idea of pop music is for it to be catchy, so with that in mind I don't get why people try to avoid enjoying it. Sure, they aren't always successful in creating good catchy tunes, and there's definitely some garbage out there in the pop world. Much of it also sounds just like every other pop song, but in the end, there's plenty of great pop music out there.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 44
Yes, I remember Swing Out Sister too. Their album "It's better to travel" was a great album. Fooled by a smile, Surrender....80's nostalgia here we go again
biggrin.gif

Amazon.com calls them "sophisti-pop"...how's that for a new genre
wink.gif

Another great song from that period which might be labeled pop is Love and Money's "Jocelyn Sqaure"

Other pop from 80's that everyone will be familiar with is, which I thought were and are still pretty good in places, are depeche mode, A-ha, pet shop boys. Can you say Yamaha DX-7
wink.gif
But no female vocalists in these bands.

U might also enjoy Natalie Merchant's voice in 10,000 maniacs.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 44
I'm big on female vocals too and buy plenty of music that I would not have bought if it were a man singing the same tune.

My #1 female vocalist is Melissa Kaplan (formarly of Splashdown). She is now with Universal Hall Pass. Not really pop but you may like her Splashdown stuff which can be downloaded for free (legally) here Check out 50%, Mayan Pilot, and Sugar High to start.

For more of the top 40's pop you may like:

Lucy Woodward
and
Anna Nalick

Apr 10, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 44
edit

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 44
Lamya - Learning From Falling...she's one of my favorites and i can relate to her lyrics...at any rate i think she's highly underrated, but that's the industry for ya http://www.npr.org/programs/wesat/fe...02/june/lamya/ there is a website on her, but i can't find it...i wish she was still making records, but she fell under radar i guess and i have no info other than old news from years back...oh yeah and if anyone's interested in listening to her live in studio and uses winamp just go to the shoutcast video's i believe and look for her name, she performs her whole cd i believe, good stuff imo

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 44
Abba is classified as "secretly good"?
They sold 400 million albums, second only to the Beatles, so I think the secret of ABBA being good is well and truly out of the bag....
wink.gif

sorry, it just gets me that people have been made to feel that they have to almost "come out of the closet" and apologise for liking ABBA, yet other people will be deemed cool for thinking Green Day... ah, nevermind
biggrin.gif

Anyways, on the topic of pop with female singers, you might enjoy Viktor Lazlo (Breathless), Basia, Jennifer Rush and Kate Bush.

Antiant, I also enjoy the npr music site, made some nice discoveries thanks to it, like the Susie Arioli Band.

Cheers

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind
Antiant, I also enjoy the npr music site, made some nice discoveries thanks to it, like the Susie Arioli Band.

yeah they're pretty good, i like listening to their shows when i get a chance...i didn't hear lamya from them though, but that was the only site that i thought was kinda legit and their music recommendations are nice

Apr 11, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 44
edit

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 44
There have been alot of great albums that are ultimately pop albums. I guess though that we have our own difinition of what 'pop music" is. I think alot of people define it as corney, catchy and fun. I however don't share that definition. I believe that pop music is music that heavily uses rythm and harmony and melody to appeal to our baser musical instincts. That isn't to say that a talented mind is limitated to those elements of music. An artist can work however he pleases to create something that will also expand in our minds and bring us to a more intimate and personal connection and interpretation of thier music. Here are some great pop albums for example

Kid A by Radiohead
Post and Homogenic by Bjork
The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi by The Flaming Lips
Pinkerton by Weezer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back