Poorly recorded albums: name your "favorite"
Jan 30, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 44
I can't remember the album name, but Ulver made a album that was meant to have as bad sound quality as possible.. They wanted to get rid of their label, so they used all the budget for recording to drinking, and recorded the album with lo-fi equipment in a garage. Good songs, but the sound is unbearable.

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 44
Jefferson Starship's "Red Octopus" (at least the vinyl); I cleaned up this sucker a couple of weeks ago and threw it on to check out some new tweaks - DEAD AS A DOORNAIL. Flat as a pancake, no soundstage. Great music, though, too bad the recording came up so lifeless.
mad.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Imperial bedroom, Elvis Costello. Harsh!

Quote:

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffitti

Quote:

OK Computer tests my grain tolerance

???????????????
Time for an equipment upgrade methinks...
Here's some bad ones (recordings):
Rolling Stones: Goats Head Soup, Some Girls, Undercover, Steel Wheels
Lou Reed: Street Hassle, Rock & Roll Heart
Blue Oyster Cult: Spectres (sounds like it was recorded in quicksand)
Wham: Make It Big
Any Todd Rundgren recording, but you can start with Bat Out Of Hell, XTC Skylarking and Hall & Oates War Babies
I'll think of some more later.

Jan 30, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #21 of 44
I forget the album title, but it's by Akino Arai. Nice, seductive music. Unfortunately, it has some extreme channel separation, the blobs sound more squashed than usual, and the overall sound is somewhat compressed. Crossfeed is a must-have for this album.

Also, in general the same comments for one of BJ Thomas' greatest hits album.

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 44
Beagle,

Whoa, you like the sound of Physical Graffitti? I think it sounds like the tapes were strewn over the studio before they mastered it - especially on The Rover. I'd have to say that our opinions are just a matter of preference then rather than absolute. Don't bother tempting me with equipment upgrades. I've just managed to settle mine down for a while (right after that power supply upgrade.) Besides, I can't reasonably afford it right now
redface.gif
. Don't tempt me!!

Jan 30, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 44
Karl Bartos - Electric Music -- distortion all the way through. Great tunes.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #26 of 44
originally posted by Beagle
" ???????????????
Time for an equipment upgrade methinks...
Here's some bad ones (recordings):
Rolling Stones: Goats Head Soup, Some Girls..."

Find yourself a copy of the Mobile Fidelity LP of "Some Girls", that will change your mind. ****ing awesome.

That and MF's remaster of Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" are Holy Grails to me.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 44
zoboomofo : I'll admit that some tracks like "The Rover" and "In My Time..." are not exactly sonic gems, but stuff like "In The Light", "Kashmir", "Down By The Seaside" and others sound quite nice, very open and clear. Those are the ones Ron Nevison tracked. The others were left over from the "Houses Of The Holy" sessions.

And "Some Girls" is the same deal. Things like "Miss You", "Beast Of Burden" and "Far Away Eyes" are decent, but others (ex."When The Whip Comes Down", "Respectable" "Shattered" "Just My Imagination" Some Girls") are horridly compressed.

"Black and Blue, now that's a nice sounding album.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

...and others sound quite nice, very open and clear.

Yes, true! I'm playing Bron-Yr-Aur right now.

One other candidate for bad sound that I missed is [London] Suede's debut. There's some wacky stuff going on at the high frequencies.

Jan 30, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #29 of 44
Hendrix......the music usually makes me stop caring about the quality of the sound - but i think the new Voodoo Child two-disc set has, despite remastering efforts or whatever - pretty bad sound........

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #30 of 44
I cant' believe no one has mentioned The Misfits. Twisted Sister is also up there as well as Smashing Pumpkins "mellon collie and the infinite sadness," it just sounds so bass heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back