Nov 16, 2014 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

thatonenoob

Reviewer: PMR Audio
BANG & OLUFSEN'S BEOPLAY H3

<< Etymotics Research ER-4PT 
Quick Navigation Panel
                      [size=inherit]Dita Answer >>[/size]

INTRODUCTION

A key player in the high-end audio market, Bang and Olufsen is known for producing some of the best sounding audio equipment out there.  While much of its lineup has traditionally been comprised of equipment for home audio systems, B&O has also produced several headphones, including the iconic U70 and the Form 1 & 2s.  In 2000, B&O made its first foray into the earphone market with the release of the Earset 3i earbuds.  However, it would only be 12 years later that B&O would make a true pair of in-ear earphones.

Enter the Beoplay H3.  The H3 is part of B&O Beoplay’s (B&O subsidiary) attempt to make B&O products more accessible to the average consumer.  And while the H3 carries a suggested MSRP of 259 USD, it is still much more affordable when compared to some of B&O’s astronomically priced products.  However, while this may be a leap for B&O, it does put the H3 squarely into a market filled with a great number of high performing competitors.

Before I go any further, I’d like to offer a big thank you to Karen @ B&O for sending a loaner unit, which I auditioned extensively for two weeks.  As always, I am neither an employee nor an affiliate of Bang and Olufsen, and all pictures seen in this review are taken and owned by me.

SPECIFICATIONS

TYPE: Dynamic Driver
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20-16,000 Hz
IMPEDANCE: 18 Ohms
SENSITIVITY: 100 db/ 1mW at 1 kHz
WEIGHT: 12.8 grams
PRICE: 259 USD

PACKAGING/ INCLUDED ITEMS

The H3 comes in a compact package with a minimalist feel characteristic of Scandinavian designs.  As a whole, the package simply exudes quality, and it’s hard to fault what B&O has done here.  The box opens from the bottom, and a red pullout “tray” contains the earphones and the rest of the accessories.  A clear attention to detail is present throughout the entire package (e.g. the incredibly smart box for the airplane adapter). 

My one big gripe with the H3’s packaging came in the way the earphones had been stored.  Looking through the box’s back window, I had initially thought that the earphones were being held in some sort of cardboard or foam cutout.  However, upon opening the package, I realized that the earphones were actually located in a plastic container covered with a sheet of black cardboard paper.  This contraption is conveniently covered with tons of tape, which I attempted to tackle for well over ten minutes.   In the end, I just grabbed a pair of scissors and cut the earphones loose.  Why B&O would choose to use such an unintuitive means to store the earphones is beyond me.

The carrying case that is included is very nice.  The outside material is leathery, and the inside is suede.  The greatest thing about the case?  Once you insert the earphones into the storage cavities, the cable loops perfectly so that the inline remote lines up parallel with the front side, and not at a diagonal with any of the corners.  I wish that there had been some way to store the extra earbuds, but that's just a personal preference.

The other accessories include spare tips (unfortunately no second set of medium tips), an airplane adapter, and a lot of writing in the form of various manuals, guides, etc.  Overall, the H3 package is practical and highly usable, but not as comprehensive as I would have liked (missing foam eartips, clothing clip).

BUILD/DESIGN QUALITY

The H3 boasts a metal housing that is milled from a single block of aluminum.  23 precision-drilled holes are situated on the face of the housing and are necessary for the H3 to achieve its full potential as a dynamic earphone.  While this does help enhance the macrodynamic quality of the earphones, it also means that sound isolation is quite compromised.  In addition, the H3 is by design meant to be a pair of shallow fit earphones. In fact, in terms of fit, they felt more similar to earbuds than to other in-ear monitors.  It is also interesting to note that about half the earphone is covered in a hard plastic (the side that faces your ear).  However, this is a well-executed change of materials, and I found no gaps between the metal and plastic parts of the housing. 

The cable is of good quality.  For such a thin cable, it maintains surprisingly little memory and has acceptable levels of microphonics.  However, the downfall of the good cable is the less than stellar strain relief.  The housing is connected to the cable through the use of a relatively hard plastic guide, which would have worked great with a flat cable, instead of a thin, rounded one.  In addition, the other strain reliefs feature an Apple-style sleeve, which in my experience hasn’t always kept earphones alive for the longest time.  The split is nicely done, and looks like quite elegant. I wasn’t a huge fan of the I-plug at the end of the cable though.  It is extremely thin, and is also made with a greyish brushed metal that doesn’t color coordinate with the earphones themselves.

The design philosophy of the H3 is somewhat confusing.  Marketed by Beoplay as a pair of earphones that targets a younger audience living/working in urban settings, I was unsure of why B&O opted for an open back design that lets in so much environmental noise.  What is undeniable though is that this is one of the best looking dynamic earphones out there.   The minimalistic undertones in the H3 are fantastic, and I can safely say that it is an earphone that most will find to be quite “classy”.  And while certain aspects of the H3’s build quality are less than satisfactory, B&O’s excellent customer service and generous 3-year warranty will help to significantly extend the H3’s lifespan.

SOUND QUALITY

My assessment of the H3’s sound quality was done in a closed environment (i.e. indoors).  I found that during active use in settings like the subway, the performance of the H3 was significantly degraded (due to its open design).  In addition, I should note that the leakage from the earphones is quite noticeable.

The overall SQ of the H3 could be described as being overwhelmingly pleasant and natural.  Starting with the bass, there is a “big” sound that highlights the dynamic nature of the H3. Excellent impact and decent speed make for earphones that demonstrate just how great dynamic drivers can sound.  It was quite refreshing to get away from the anemic bass that plagues so many single balanced armature earphones in this price range.  Naturally, the H3 isn’t quite as fast as some of its BA counterparts in the bass department, but the added impact and musicality is a good trade off in my personal opinion.

The midrange of the H3 shines with its natural-sounding vocals and slight touch of warmth.  Listening to Surfboard by Antonio Carlos Jobim, I truly enjoyed the wonderfully pleasant sound of the chorus.  B&O really nailed it in terms of giving the H3 enough energy to ensure that it is lively enough to keep the listener engaged while managing to stop the overall experience from becoming fatiguing.  However, there is a moderate amount of sibilance on some tracks, which is rather unfortunate.

The treble is relatively clear and detailed, but does not have a presence that is as well established as the bass or the mids.   I felt that the H3 was just a little bit too relaxed on the higher frequencies at times. Overall soundstage is very comfortably sized and realistic (thanks to the open back design).   The imaging was relatively clear but at times was held back by weaker instrument separation during busier/more congested tracks.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The H3 is a very good first entry by B&O into the word of in-ear earphones.  Surprisingly, most of the issues with the H3 had to do with its packaging and build, and very little to do with the actual sound quality of the earphones.  I am confident that B&O will eventually revise parts of the H3's design, which would truly make it a lasting pair of earphones.  Featuring great musicality and a wonderfully pleasant SQ, the H3 is a solid piece of B&O gear that no B&O collector should miss.

Thanks for reading and happy listening!

Best Regards,
Thatonenoob

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 28
Are you doing a review marathon?  

If so...you are doing quite well...
size]

B&O have always been renowned for their design.

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 28
  Are you doing a review marathon?  

If so...you are doing quite well...
size]

B&O have always been renowned for their design.

beerchug.gif

Glad that you liked the review!   It is turning out to be quite a series...really brings some of my passions together (audio, writing, photography).  

And yes, B&O designs are undisputedly stunning. 
basshead.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 28
  Ooh, B&O. How I absolutely adore this company -- although I know more than a few people who are eager to prove me wrong, rambling about how they're overpriced and all that. Still, great review. I'd lvoe to see you hear the H6, though -- that can remains the best I've heard yet. 
wink.gif

You should know that I've come quite close to pulling the trigger on the H6.  Really, really, want to buy them.  But the price holds me back, and the fact that Southeast Asian weather is really unsuited for headphones on the go (sweat, heat and all that).  

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 28
Off topic: Why called "Poor Man Reviews" when the price is well over $100? Shouldn't it be Rich Man Reviews? I would think that Poor Man Reviews would include KZ and it's ilk.
But another helpful review
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 28
Off topic: Why called "Poor Man Reviews" when the price is well over $100? Shouldn't it be Rich Man Reviews? I would think that Poor Man Reviews would include KZ and it's ilk.
But another helpful review :wink_face:  

Well above $100 is entry/midrange level.

thatonenoob also did a Not-So-Poor Man Review of the an over $1000 iem. This is where one starts to get into the big-boy territory.

Well, so is head-fi.

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 28
Alright, i'll bite.

What magical technology is wrapped up in a 100$ pair of in ears vs a calibrated 20$ pair?. Or even better, 100$ vs 1000$?
Is the high end headphone market as stalled as the high end speaker market or is there actually a different technology at play that you are investing in?

Might have to jump into the high end audio business myself some day.
Seems like a good way to part rich fools from their cash and put it to good use in a charity of sorts
rolleyes.gif

And although my post is rather sarcastic I would actually like to know of any big groundbreaking differences if they exist
happy_face1.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 28
The airplane adapter is an odd accessory imo. When I travel by air, usually for work, I have my laptop, Android tablet, Kindle paperwhite and LG G3, spare battery pack, and lots of media content, movies in x264  and music is high quality mp3. If I get stranded there's enough fresh media to keep me entertained for weeks. Of course I have headphones and several IEM's. I can't imagine ever needing or wanting to use content provided by the airline. It makes me kind of sad when I see people that that rely on flight magazines and tv/airline provided movies/tv for entertainment. Makes me wonder whom exactly B&O is targeting. It's not me.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 28
But another helpful review
wink_face.gif

Haha great point!  I'm surprised this question hasn't been asked more often. 
tongue.gif

This series has always been about investing on a budget.  I started my audio journey with a relatively small pool of money, and wanted to buy equipment that I knew would be worth its weight in figurative gold.  And while I have been able to expand that budget, I do still look at products from the same perspective.  Every product should be assessed as a package, and should be an experience that pleases the buyer.  In many ways, my reviews are for those who want to make a one time investment, who can't afford to go back and purchase a whole lineup for fun.  Hence, I wanted my reviews to be as comprehensive as possible, to guide prospective buyers through the entire process and ensure that they aren't getting into anything that isn't already expected.  

That's why it's Poor Man Reviews.  
cool.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 28
  Alright, i'll bite.

What magical technology is wrapped up in a 100$ pair of in ears vs a calibrated 20$ pair?. Or even better, 100$ vs 1000$?
Is the high end headphone market as stalled as the high end speaker market or is there actually a different technology at play that you are investing in?

Might have to jump into the high end audio business myself some day.
Seems like a good way to part rich fools from their cash and put it to good use in a charity of sorts
rolleyes.gif

And although my post is rather sarcastic I would actually like to know of any big groundbreaking differences if they exist
happy_face1.gif

I wouldn't consider it stalled, but there are certainly companies going the route of simply tossing more and more balanced armatures into a single unit.  I'm not too sure that's the best way to go...but oh well.

However, with regards to 20 dollars vs 100 dollars, and 100 vs 1000, the difference is definitely quite noticeable.  Better tuning, components, housing, etc. can make for much more enjoyable sonic experiences.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 28
 Recently a campaign was started in Denmark, the home of B&O, with the purpose of banning cyclists from listening to music whilst riding a bike.
The reasoning was that (isolating) In-ear monitors and headphones prevents cyclists from hearing ambient 'noise', like emergency-sirens, car-horns etc etc .
I've tried both open and closed monitors in traffic and have to admit that the prohibitionists have a point regarding closed/isolating monitors ..
Anyway, nice review, I'm definitely going to check them out !

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #14 of 28
Nice review.  As a cyclist I personally enjoy open phones of any kind. I doubt the people these are being marketed to will enjoy that feature.  There are a number of occasions I've used my old grado sr80s for cycling and they worked well for me.

@bufferoverflow There is an app out there taht lets you listen to music and lets in outside noise using your phone's speaker if you are interested.  Also I've never been in a situation personally where i was not able to hear a siren or horn with headphones on, but maybe I just don't pump my music as high as most.  

The danger(to me personally) is not knowing when a car is right next to you or right behind you without looking which is something you would definitely hear without headphones.  There's a lot of audible things in the environment that can help with being a safe cyclist, and such a law could potentially save some lives.  Not sure how the laws are in denmark, but here in the US a helmet is not even required.  I guess I'm not sure I see the point if it's only to do with sirens and horns because you have to be wearing some heavily isoloated stuff pumped up to a ridiculous volume to not hear those.

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 28
   Recently a campaign was started in Denmark, the home of B&O, with the purpose of banning cyclists from listening to music whilst riding a bike.
The reasoning was that (isolating) In-ear monitors and headphones prevents cyclists from hearing ambient 'noise', like emergency-sirens, car-horns etc etc .
I've tried both open and closed monitors in traffic and have to admit that the prohibitionists have a point regarding closed/isolating monitors ..
Anyway, nice review, I'm definitely going to check them out !

Nice review.  As a cyclist I personally enjoy open phones of any kind. I doubt the people these are being marketed to will enjoy that feature.  There are a number of occasions I've used my old grado sr80s for cycling and they worked well for me.

@bufferoverflow There is an app out there taht lets you listen to music and lets in outside noise using your phone's speaker if you are interested.  Also I've never been in a situation personally where i was not able to hear a siren or horn with headphones on, but maybe I just don't pump my music as high as most.  

The danger(to me personally) is not knowing when a car is right next to you or right behind you without looking which is something you would definitely hear without headphones.  There's a lot of audible things in the environment that can help with being a safe cyclist, and such a law could potentially save some lives.  Not sure how the laws are in denmark, but here in the US a helmet is not even required.  I guess I'm not sure I see the point if it's only to do with sirens and horns because you have to be wearing some heavily isoloated stuff pumped up to a ridiculous volume to not hear those.

I often do this when cycling the woods.
I do not dare using iems on public roads (especially not my ER4s), as it would make me risk for myself and the people around me.

Be responsible, don't but others at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back