PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 19, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #4,576 of 4,858
Don't have the N5, but I do have the C5 portable amp, which I believe is the amp used in the N5, and I'm not really impressed with the sound quality out of it as well. It ain't no Pono!

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4,577 of 4,858

Don't have the N5, but I do have the C5 portable amp, which I believe is the amp used in the N5, and I'm not really impressed with the sound quality out of it as well. It ain't no Pono!

Completely different amp between C5 and N5, the C5 is much better than the N5 actually.

Can anyone compare the Pono player to the Cayin N5?

I have spent some time with the Cayin N5 and I am not overly impressed with it particularly at the slow load speeds and some of the build quality (the scroll wheel feels terrible and the rubber flap covering the SD card and charge ports is pretty crappy).

I've had the N6, I'd take the Pono over it, way more emotion and energy conveyed with the Pono. The Pono is all plastic build, but it still feels solid and doesn't feel too cheap, though the inlaid screen is a nightmare for dust, and the touch UI isn't the fastest around, but is still better than the N6 UI which is crap. On Pono the little door that covers the SD and usb port is actually nice. For the sound alone Pono is easily worth it.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #4,580 of 4,858
Hello, my current situation is my Ponoplayer's line out jack is not working (it has a broken 3.5mm jack in it and a broken pin) and the battery refuses to charge. So my solution would be to replace the entire board and battery which comes close to the price of a new Ponoplayer.

The dilemma is, should I pay to have it repaired/buy a new one + new cables to run balanced mode for my Focal Elear? Or should I just move on to another DAP that offers balanced sound and a longer battery life? This has been running in my mind for a while now as the battery life on the Ponoplayer is quite low, limited storage space and not too mention the lifespan of the hardware. However, I haven't found another DAP out there that matches the sound quality of the Ponoplayer in balanced mode. Any advise is highly appreciated.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #4,581 of 4,858
@BrutalLegend, what an exceptional pair of headphones. They are going to magnify the difference in sound quality between the Pono and any other DAP. It will cost far, far more money to buy a comparable sounding DAC from another company. Fixing/buying a new Pono is your best bet. If the price is close, I would buy another Pono Player. Then everything is new, plus you have a full warranty.

Then you might try fixing the old one yourself. There is a video showing how to open the Pono with a guitar pick. The battery is readily available and just clips in and out. With the Pono open, you can then see what is damaged with the line out. And possibly fix it. If not, does the other headphone/ line out work now. If so it could always be used with standard IEMs, headphones, etc.

One of those USB/battery power banks can run the Pono for a much longer time.
Good luck.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #4,582 of 4,858
@barondla, thanks for the advice. I still look at the market today and everything is just simply overpriced for what the hardware is capable of doing. I have taken my ponoplayer apart a few times to diagnose what is wrong with it. I believe the power chip that handles the charging has given out, not to mention the line out 3.5mm female jack needs replacing but it seems to be attached to the board in an odd way. The regular 3.5mm headphone jack works just fine though. 

It will probably cost me close to $200 to fix everything and have it up and running. I can't seem to find the ponoplayer on their official website so I can't compare the costing difference for a new one. My other concern is because I use my player consistently and have to pay that amount; its quite disheartening for a 2 year lifespan.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4,583 of 4,858
If a headphone plug is broken inside the socket, as I think I read correctly from your post, then that sounds like an accident has been had and is not reflective of the Pono's lifespan - any player experiencing such force on the plug will likely break at the socket.

Only the battery or power chip part is the concern - diagnose the fault first as it may be just the battery. And it's not to say that another Pono will ever have the same problem (unless others are getting the same thing?).

Not impossible to change the chip - many skillful repairers out there with hot air solderers.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4,584 of 4,858
@LuckyNat, I mean no offense but obviously the broken 3.5mm stuck in the socket is not what I meant by hardware lifespan. That's just an accident. I can actually repair the chip myself. I've already begun hunting down a replacement chip though replacing the 3.5mm female socket is my real problem because its plastic casing mounted in an odd way.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #4,587 of 4,858
Fry's Electronics has the Pono Player on sale at last year's BF pricing! Good until 12 -24. Must use promo code in this ad. If your store is out switch to anoher. Their inventory is by store not national. Gift a Pono or buy a spare.
http://images.frys.com/art/email/121816_sun258mju/sun_web.html?promocode=1974320#set3

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #4,588 of 4,858
Fry's Electronics has the Pono Player on sale at last year's BF pricing! Good until 12 -24. Must use promo code in this ad. If your store is out switch to anoher. Their inventory is by store not national. Gift a Pono or buy a spare.
http://images.frys.com/art/email/121816_sun258mju/sun_web.html?promocode=1974320#set3

Also, this price is good for on-line purchase as long as you use today's (12/18/16) promo code and you order by 12/24/16...  Sale price $199.98!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back