PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Sep 6, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #4,126 of 4,858
  Fyi the ASG-2 bass port adjustment is not at all linear, anything over 50% results in some pretty wacky upper bass bloat, and 20hz-100hz isn't even altered by the bass port from settings 25% to 100%, only upper bass is effected.

From hands-on experience the dials are clearly far too sensitive, anything over the first notch is complete overkill imo unless you just want to hear a bass drowned out presentation. Even single ended mode I need to play within the tolerance levels of only the first notch. It looks good in pictures, and sounds good on paper though the dials are just not implemented well.

At the very least they do accomplish their task but with a much smaller threshold than the dials would have you believe.

Here are the tiny amounts I need to play within these two arrows below, the rest of the dial is not used in most sensible cases, and more so running balanced with Pono.

Then you need to make sure they're even both sides as well, another task. 

I think ASG-2.5 was a little better in this regard

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #4,127 of 4,858
^ Yep, the graph completely coincides with your findings, it indicates you wouldn't want to use anything over the second notch (or your red marker), which is labeled "bass 2/4" on the graph, so you can use 33% of the bass dial effectively.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,129 of 4,858
HD650 balanced arrived today, a very quick listen and I am very encouraged, much fuller sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #4,130 of 4,858
I got my balanced cables (with Pono adopter) for the W30 from Ted over the weekend. In balanced mode, the sound out of the Pono is phenomenal. Lot more details plus fuller sound (more 3d to my ears) using it in balanced mode. I am now convinced that to truly appreciate the Pono, you need to go balanced mode. Listening to all my albums again, and the experience is surreal.
basshead.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #4,131 of 4,858
  I got my balanced cables (with Pono adopter) for the W30 from Ted over the weekend. In balanced mode, the sound out of the Pono is phenomenal. Lot more details plus fuller sound (more 3d to my ears) using it in balanced mode. I am now convinced that to truly appreciate the Pono, you need to go balanced mode. Listening to all my albums again, and the experience is surreal.
basshead.gif

You guys with the balanced raving again - going to force me to upgrade, dammit. Mind you, you've got me pondering a conversion of my NAD HP50's to balanced - it's dual entry so if I make my own cable and cut the feed between the earcups I could join the club fairly cheaply.

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #4,132 of 4,858
To my ears, NAD HP50 single-ended with Pono - pure ecstasy.

I use balanced for other headphones that are harder to drive.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,133 of 4,858
"...but Dr. Mackenzie! What you do here....is it not an abomination in the eyes of man and a violation of the laws of nature?!?"

"FOOLS! I care not one lick for the eyes of man, and Nature can bend her knee to me as far as I am concerned! BEHOLD! The Pono-balanced Koss Portapro!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

*cue lightning strike*

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #4,134 of 4,858

How much better do they sound balanced?

Haven't modded my Porta Pros (yet) but they make the most portable combo with the Pono. Took them along as a second (backup) headphone on my last trip. Almost forgot I had them since they fold up so compact.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #4,135 of 4,858

How much better do they sound balanced?

Haven't modded my Porta Pros (yet) but they make the most portable combo with the Pono. Took them along as a second (backup) headphone on my last trip. Almost forgot I had them since they fold up so compact.

Still a tad on the bassy side for my tastes, but they still get the benefits of balanced: more space, more detail, more natural/effortless sound...going to spend the day with them at the office and see how things go. I prefer the KSC75 personally, so might switch the cable to them tomorrow....

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #4,136 of 4,858
  "...but Dr. Mackenzie! What you do here....is it not an abomination in the eyes of man and a violation of the laws of nature?!?"

"FOOLS! I care not one lick for the eyes of man, and Nature can bend her knee to me as far as I am concerned! BEHOLD! The Pono-balanced Koss Portapro!!!!

*cue lightning strike*

Would you share some particulars about the cable, please, Dr. Frankenstein - i.e. - source/configuration ?

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,137 of 4,858

Would you share some particulars about the cable, please, Dr. Frankenstein - i.e. - source/configuration ?

...sure thing...it was built by @PETEREK using basic Mogami. He sleeved each channel separately and twisted the two together. He used Amphenol connectors for the termination. They were actually intended for a SennGrado build that I shelved for later. Using the cups I am making for some Magnum V4 drivers instead. I saw the cable this morning and thought "...why not?"

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,138 of 4,858

*cue lightning strike*

pretty sexy. the headphones look overmatched.

anyone think that black pono is a cousin to the monolith in 2001?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back