PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #886 of 4,866
Another keyboard warrior passes judgment on Pono, despite not apparently having much of a clue about... well, anything. But specifically not Pono: 
http://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/blog/what-pono-is-doing-to-the-music-industry-nothing

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #887 of 4,866
Why are skeptics keyboard warriors?

Without even mentioning the odd triangle shaped DAP, I can buy an actual CD for $10, rip it to FLAC and have the same audio quality as PONO selling online songs for $24. Why does this sound like a good deal that everyone wants to sign up for? What am I missing where people who think this is silly or are not interested in building a new media library are keyboard warriors?

I constantly hear about people wanting terrabyte memory cards, because they have 1000s of media files. Do you or anyone else really want to repurchase 1000 media files? I don't. Am I a keyboard warrior? Please forgive me if I just want to actually listen and enjoy my music.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #889 of 4,866

Without even mentioning the odd triangle shaped DAP, I can buy an actual CD for $10, rip it to FLAC and have the same audio quality as PONO selling online songs for $24. Why does this sound like a good deal that everyone wants to sign up for? What am I missing where people who think this is silly or are not interested in building a new media library are keyboard warriors?

I constantly hear about people wanting terrabyte memory cards, because they have 1000s of media files. Do you or anyone else really want to repurchase 1000 media files? I don't. Am I a keyboard warrior? Please forgive me if I just want to actually listen and enjoy my music.

I, for one, will never have a #ponoboner.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #890 of 4,866
  Another keyboard warrior passes judgment on Pono, despite not apparently having much of a clue about... well, anything. But specifically not Pono: 
http://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/blog/what-pono-is-doing-to-the-music-industry-nothing

that's some silly article.
you can say the same thing about pretty much any DAP on the market.
what is the DX90, X5, ZX1 doing for music? not much.

and headline says 'what is the PonoPlayer doing for music?' but all he talk about is PonoMusic....

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #891 of 4,866

It comes down to the age old arguments regarding whether or not you can tell the difference between 44.1/16 and 96(192)/24.  Sounds like PONO supports 96/24 music, and the discussions regarding what the human ear can actually perceive will go on and on and on. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #892 of 4,866
The keyboard warriors are the ones who know little to nothing about audio in general or the Pono project in particular, then fixate on one aspect (which may be something they have imagined, rather than anything real), chuckle like Beavis & Butthead about that Trent Reznor 'Toblerone' quote, and produce a limpwitted excuse for an article like the one linked to above. The iSpods and Bose-Os of the 'gadget' press will make the loudest noise about this story, but that's a common feature of empty vessels.

I'm certainly not going to replace my existing library with Pono/iTunes downloads, but would appreciate the immediacy and convenience of downloading a track or album in decent quality. I just want to enjoy my music too, and legal better-then-MP3 downloads are well overdue.

This does, of course, very much depend on the prices asked for such files by either company in the UK.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #893 of 4,866
  The keyboard warriors are the ones who know little to nothing about audio in general or the Pono project in particular, then fixate on one aspect (which may be something they have imagined, rather than anything real), chuckle like Beavis & Butthead about that Trent Reznor 'Toblerone' quote, and produce a limpwitted excuse for an article like the one linked to above. The iSpods and Bose-Os of the 'gadget' press will make the loudest noise about this story, but that's a common feature of empty vessels.

Project much?

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #895 of 4,866
No problem, I'll spell it out.

Quote:

Here's the linkedin for the "keyboard warrior" you claim "knows little to nothing about audio in general":

1. Contributing Writer at Exclaim! Media
  2. Journalist and Content Creator at Freelance
  3. Founder, Editor, and Music Programmer at Radio Cannon (Sole Proprietorship)
  1. Award Jury Member at Polaris Music Prize, Prism Prize, and GAMIQ Awards

1. Editor at Midnight Poutine
  2. Doctoral Student in Media History at McGill University
  3. Course Instructor in Print History at McGill University
  1. Research Assistant (including content analysis) and Copyeditor at McGill University

Would you believe that this ignoramus got paid to write that clueless article?
eek.gif
  And what's with all those cited statistics, industry analyses and references to interviews with audio engineers? My god, what a newb!

What I'm saying, dear boy, is that you're the tool here.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #896 of 4,866

Here's the linkedin for the "keyboard warrior" you claim "knows little to nothing about audio in general":

Would you believe that this ignoramus got paid to write that clueless article?
eek.gif
  And what's with all those cited statistics, industry analyses and references to interviews with audio engineers? My god, what a newb!

What I'm saying, dear boy, is that you're the tool here.

And what I'm saying in response to that very fulsome and informative reply is that if those qualifications are all legitimate, he has less excuse that the average gadget hack for writing something as feeble-minded as the article linked previously. In other words, if an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters came up with the same article word-for-word, they would be less culpable, having not known what they were doing in between public masturbation and faeces-throwing (the latter two being similar to posting snarky put-downs on Twitter).

Apr 25, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #897 of 4,866
One of the reasons I put down my money for the Pono Kickstarter (and ordered one of the artist-signed edition players) is the involvement of Ayre. They make very nice sounding products and since they designed the hardware (or at least the DAC/headphone amp) for Pono it should sound pretty good. Even if Pono is unable to deliver significant quantity of high-resolution content through their own store, the player should sound great as a portable headphone amp for any FLAC or PCM tracks that are loaded onto it from other sources. Plus, like I have said before, it will likely become a collectable device, or at least an interesting conversation piece.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #900 of 4,866
I don't care much for speculation in either direction - the proof will be in their website and whether or not it truly offers the best quality recordings to be found anywhere. The player is of secondary concern to me, though I'm very curious about its performance - there are plenty of options for portable sources, but not so many for stellar recordings. I hope they are successful in spite of their marketing snafus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back