PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #871 of 4,864
Apr 20, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #872 of 4,864
  My point is there were mp3 players before iPod, but Apple got the marketing and digital distribution right. 

Not saying Pono will be the next iPod, but if they get it right it could be the buzzword for high res DAPs in the same way iPod was for mp3 players. 

Getting it right would be turning on the greater population to higher quality listening, as opposed to catering to "audiophiles", which the other high end DAP companies are doing.  I'm skeptical that it will work, but I think that was Neil Young's intent from the start.  I truly hope all the kickstarter participants get their money's worth.  I will be willing to invest in the first company to master high res music streaming.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #873 of 4,864
I think it's great that so many people are backing PONO. But what is meant to be so revolutionary about this compared to other portable DACs, i.e Astell & Kern?

The Pono Device is actually only half the story. The real story is in their music store. Having access to major labels and an actual variety of music is extremely exciting to me. HDTracks does a good job, but their catalog is rather limited for my taste. It's very likely that my pre-ordered PONO will see very little use compared to my DAC on my Mac or my FiiO portable. But Hi-res music for the general public is a win all around!

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #875 of 4,864
  Neil Young released a new album this weekend in vinyl only.

That's gonna make it a little tougher to burn into a Pono! 
blink.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #876 of 4,864
Neil Young released a new album this weekend in vinyl only.

I don't see why he is going against his own endorsed program which is solely on the digital platform. Not creating a lasting impression in my eyes, says to me that he's not focused into putting all his effort into PONO & that it is just something on the side.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #880 of 4,864
Well I'm a born skeptic but I'm excited to see what happens. If nothing else I think we'll see some decent re-issues of classic rock because of his connections. HD Tracks is woefully lacking in that genre I'm afraid. And I think in many ways some of the older stuff was mastered better than a lot of todays music.  I'm betting the first review thread from the Head-Fi'er who gets his Pono first will EXPLODE!

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #882 of 4,864
  The Pono Device is actually only half the story. The real story is in their music store. Having access to major labels and an actual variety of music is extremely exciting to me. HDTracks does a good job, but their catalog is rather limited for my taste. It's very likely that my pre-ordered PONO will see very little use compared to my DAC on my Mac or my FiiO portable. But Hi-res music for the general public is a win all around!

That's the main point of Pono, but one which the gadget hacks are choosing to ignore. The player is incidental, although I'm sure it will sound pretty good. I doubt I'd buy a Pono player, but I will almost certainly open an account on the Pono website, if it delivers what it promises.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #883 of 4,864
That's the main point of Pono, but one which the gadget hacks are choosing to ignore. The player is incidental, although I'm sure it will sound pretty good. I doubt I'd buy a Pono player, but I will almost certainly open an account on the Pono website, if it delivers what it promises.

I wouldn't pull the trigger too soon as iTunes may have alternate offerings in the works which could possibly expand to its streaming service (just a thought).

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #884 of 4,864
I wouldn't pull the trigger too soon as iTunes may have alternate offerings in the works which could possibly expand to its streaming service (just a thought).

I've been reading the rumours - depends on whether Apple go for DRM on these lossless downloads or not. As for format, I'm assuming Foobar2000 will be (made) able to play whatever they are.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #885 of 4,864
If it's not the established industry standard we already have, ie FLAC, then not interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back