PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Oct 26, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,321 of 4,864
I received another email from Kickstarter saying that they're on schedule to start priority shipping this week of early orders and signature players. Since I'm both I imagine that means me. No email confirmation of my unit shipping, which should be the next step. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,322 of 4,864
Likely this has already been mentioned earlier in this long thread but, for those that don't know, What HiFi posted a preliminary review of the player on Oct. 2:  http://www.whathifi.com/pono/ponoplayer/review

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,323 of 4,864
Thanks for the link.

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,324 of 4,864
I find it strange that the pono player can't even be preordered in Canada and no word as far as I know when it will be available here. I'm sure this will turn off a few people who might be interested in purchasing one when there are other music players out there in the same price range that probably sound as good or better.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,325 of 4,864
  I find it strange that the pono player can't even be preordered in Canada and no word as far as I know when it will be available here. I'm sure this will turn off a few people who might be interested in purchasing one when there are other music players out there in the same price range that probably sound as good or better.

Especially considering it's his home country!

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,326 of 4,864

Especially considering it's his home country!

Yes that too but I can live with that...I think he's lived in California since about 1967. I know the population is south of the border. I'd just like to know approximately when I could order one. I suspect is won't be until sometime late next year. I'll likely lose interest by then and look at something else a little more high end than what I have.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,327 of 4,864
I found this in an article dated October 15th.

"The PonoMusic Store is expected to be coming to Canada and the United Kingdom in early 2015, with further expansion taking place throughout next year."

So next year...

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,333 of 4,864
The best bit about that What Hifi review is the part where they admit they weren't allowed to put their own tracks onto it or to test the thing next to any other player. That screams marketing bluff to me. Of course the preloaded music is going to sound great - the mastering and mix will have been chosen specifically for that. If they were really that confident of it, they would line up a variety of other portable devices all with the same tracks on them.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,334 of 4,864
And the shape is supposedly "to fit all the large components"...
Hmm...battery life is rated at about 8 hours. That's kind of underwhelming, especially since my iPod Touch could do about 9 and a half hours of non-stop music...

This doesn't make sense unless they have tube amps inside or most likely the just used really cheap shelf parts and stuck it together having no need to redesign the large components to make it smaller.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,335 of 4,864
I am not a gear head.  I try to get good gear--that delivers the music, so I can pay attention to it, and NOT the gear--
and I use it until it starts intruding on the music.  I have been using three Ipod classics (very large music collection) and
an RS P-51, with Westone 4r.  And it begins to seem to be time to make some changes.  So I wondered if I should wait 
for a Pono player, and I read as much of this thread as I could stomach. I usually find head-fi fairly informed and serious.
Why is this thread so dumb and mean-spirited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back