Poll: Your Public Transportation in Your City
Apr 28, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #62 of 81
Small town America, population @7000

Aside from an ambulance and the school buses you better own a car or walk (you cannot legally ride a bicycle on the only bridge in town... but you can carry it across!)

So I'm gonna vote 'None' (unless your going to school or the hospital).

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #63 of 81
Voted "Acceptable" even though I have never used them, they are reasonably clean, and are never crowded - three buses leaving town in the morning, three coming back in the evening.

They provide no service within the town, just serve to collect and return those who can't drive or don't have a car.

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philadelphia's SEPTA (SouthEast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) is without a doubt the worst public transportation system in the country.

In Center City Philadelphia, SEPTA can be rough but is very usable. The Market EL and Broad Street subway lines get you basic access to center city. The bus routes and trolleys get you to the neighborhoods and the regional rail gets you to the suburbs. Or PATCO to NJ. For the buses you have to know the routes before you get on because they can be confusing.

It helps that I live two blocks from a Market el subway stop and two blocks or less from at least four bus routes. It is convenient for me to take public transportation a lot of places - even the the airport and stadiums.

Now if you are talking about SEPTA operating on budget, customer service or cleanliness, I wouldn't give them good marks.

SEPTA costs $1.30 one way if you buy at least 2 tokens. Very reasonable.

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #66 of 81
The LIRR is good as long as your going east or west
wink.gif
Never took a bus here on LI though

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #67 of 81
Cities I've lived:

1) Vancouver (miles ahead of any city I've been to; they are adding a huge skytrain line now and another by 2015 and there is a large light rail line being added by 2011)

2) Paris (extensive subway that got me everywhere I needed to be)

3) Toronto

4) Calgary (starting to get pretty crappy by this stage)

5) Edmonton (terrible for a city of 1million)

6) Ann Arbor (everything is so close cause the town is small but if you need to go anywhere surrounding pretty brutal)

7) Prince George

8) Red Deer (to get any bus on the weekend you have to call the transit company so they stop by on that route)

9) Irvine (in Socal you just need a car; they need to put like 500 billion into public transit here)

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #68 of 81
I voted "It sucks", and it does. The bus system in Montreal is absolutely crap due to most of the bus drivers being ********. I have a daily commute of around 20-30 minutes each day to get to school, and the I get on the bus at the first stop (St-Michel/Henri-Bourassa, bus 67, for those interested), and on cold winter days the drivers would rather sit in their busses and read the newspapers or talk to eachother rather than pickup passengers.

The schedule is a variable mix-up depending on whether the bus is late or not. If it's ahead of schedule, the ride will seem like forever and the bus might even stay at stops for 10 minutes at a time. The bus drivers will usually drive away even if they see you running across the street to catch the bus.

I find that I can't readily trust or depend on public transportation for a number of reasons. And then add in the bus fares which increase every year, and the random strikes for increased wages once in a while...

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #69 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnniewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seattle currently is ok if you are just talking about within the city, but outside the city limits, it sucks.

Light rail is being built, which might help some if it's expanded.

My commute in a car that is 27 miles takes 35-45 minutes. On the bus it takes 2+ hours.

I live in Seattle proper. I've commuted to Bellevue over 2 years on Metro Bus and Sound transit both ways. To go across Lake Washington there is no faster way. I drive now and I miss the 555 to northgate and the 550 except when there was a game. I've broken in a lot of portable gear on these fine routes.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #70 of 81
We have the tri-rail and awful useless buses. They both suck and therefore are used by no one. This results in worse traffic than any other city in North America. It is a disaster.

May 1, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #72 of 81
111 for "it sucks"....

Maybe I'm not the only San Antonian Head-Fier after all.

May 1, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #73 of 81
I put down Melbourne as acceptable. Melbournites bitch about the Public Transport, but it is not that bad. We have an extensive train network, tram network and several bus networks. All of these networks have been privatised, but use a common ticketing system.

I use trains and trams a fair bit and they generally run pretty much to schedule. Some of the rail rolling stock is tired, but I believe that it is to be upgraded over the next few years.

Generally I have no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back