Poll: Your Public Transportation in Your City
Dec 16, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 81
There is a busing system in Grand Cayman and I suppose it's "acceptable" given the size of the Island and population base, but a lot of people who use the buses regularly complain that they don't run late enough. They're not "real" buses, but more like 10-12 passenger vans.

They're not terribly comfortable but are pretty cheap. It's $1.50 to get to most places but some people need to change buses and pay again to get to the outlying areas. Thus it can be as much as $6 per day to get from home to work and back. A lot of people who can't afford cars use scooters instead.

I voted "it sucks" because I've hated it every time I've had to use one of the so-called buses. But that has only happened a couple of times when my car was broken down or when I lock my keys in it and need to get home for the spare!

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
San Francisco Muni is uneven but otherwise pretty good by US standards. Nowhere near as good as Paris, London, Tokyo or Amsterdam, of course.

My girlfriend (she's Japanese) tells me that the Tokyo subways are obscenely overcrowded. She told me stories about the crowd pushers, whose jobs are to actually shove, cram, and smush people into trains.
eek.gif

Doesn't sound like a good standard to me. Then again, I've never been there myself...

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 81
The MUNI system in San Francisco is usually very good, but there will be huge crowds at some stops at certain times and you just know that some driver was being lazy to the schedule...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My girlfriend (she's Japanese) tells me that the Tokyo subways are obscenely overcrowded. She told me stories about the crowd pushers, whose jobs are to actually shove, cram, and smush people into trains.
eek.gif

Doesn't sound like a good standard to me. Then again, I've never been there myself...

I hear their culture is generally much more polite...so I wouldn't mind
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #8 of 81
while i've often had bad experiences, the AC transit, muni, Bart and UC bus services are an amazing combination compared to what i grew up with... basically the lousy LA metro/foothill transit system.

plus, we got good looking buses:
bus2.jpg

Subway
Long_Pointy_BART_040524.jpg

and trolly
SanFranciscoMunicipalRailway.jpg

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 81
cambridge transit isn't bad at all from what I've heard. I've never taken it in the 6 years I've lived here (I have NO idea how I've managed that) but I have friends/family who have and I haven't heard any complaints, really. Getting to the university campuses and such is fairly pain-free from what I've heard.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 81
i've never had any real problems with bay area public transportation.

the samtrans is fine, the muni's (with it's signature pee smell) & bart trains (with all the bum saliva slobber discoloration on top of the seats) are always crowded when i take them.

everyone i know has NEVER rode on the cable car trollies downtown...

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 81
at this time, transit in Vancouver is ok. they're handling the rapid transit construction quite well. can't wait for all the new trolleys to be in full service.

it was much better 10 years ago, not so much now.

oh so beautiful...

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #13 of 81
London.

Difficult to reply here because your title uses the word 'transportation' which implies the concept of movement twixt one place and another, something which London Transport seems incapable of doing
biggrin.gif

Pluck

Dec 16, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 81
Zurich mostly has streetcars which are amazingly slow. You're usually faster on bike. There are also some buses and city trains. The good thing is that it's not such a big city.

A neat thing, mainly for tourists, are the fondue streetcars: Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back