Poll: Your Public Transportation in Your City
Dec 16, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #16 of 81
marta is atlanta is not bad. It isn't really integrated into the city though.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #18 of 81
Pittsburgh needs a subway.
frown.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #19 of 81
I guess the "local" public transportation here is the DC Metro, which is pretty spectacular as far as running often and getting you cheaply to most anywhere you want to go.

My problem is that I live out in the suburbs, and it takes me at least 20-30 minutes to drive from my home to a metro station to get on the train to go downtown. There's actually a train station maybe 2 miles from here that runs a train line called MARC between DC and Baltimore. It's strictly commuter though - it only runs on weekdays and only till about 9pm, so it's no good for going out on a Friday night or downtown on a Saturday afternoon.

Baltimore's public transportation kinda sucks.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #20 of 81
I would never set foot on a MARTA bus or train, ever.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #21 of 81
There isn't any public transportation here really. My University does have quite a few buses for getting around the campus though, I had to use them twice so far and they weren't that bad, just extremely crowded one time.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #22 of 81
I hate our public transportation.

The station I go to never has any all day car parks. Just 4 hour spots that luckily no parking inspectors ever bother checking and every body has to use as the amount of bays would probably be about 1/20th of the amount of people that use the station. I can't ride to the train station as there is no security for my bike, so other than the nuisance of removing a lock it's easily stolen and you aren't allowed to take your bike at the times I catch the train.

Not only that, the trains to me never run enough. At peak times, which is only for about an hour in the morning and an hour or so in the afternoon they come every 7 or 8 minutes, yet at still a busy time just outside that window if you miss a train it's 15 minutes till the next one and it will be packed.

With huge sporting events they never put on enough trains to cope with demand.

Everything is centralised, so to get anywhere you first have to go through the main station and then catch a train to where you're going. This adds so much extra time to your trip in waiting for the next train.

Buses don't run nearly enough, I was in an unfamiliar area and needed to catch the bus and I missed it by about 5 minutes. An hour wait in the sun for the next one.
mad.gif

Not only that it's a rip off unless you're a student or get concession, luckily I am but at full charge it would probably be about the same price to drive, unless you have to pay for parking.

Also annoying is the money patrol aka "Revenue Protection". Basically just there to issue fines and make money.

Dec 16, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 81
Pretty good in the city centre. Subway, tram, bus on all lines every five minutes.
But travelling out of the city centre is frustrating. Some places there are 30 minutes or more between each bus. Grrr!

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #24 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never set foot on a MARTA bus or train, ever.

i grew up in atlanta, and go back there regularly, and i think this is a ridiculous statement.

the problem with MARTA and atlanta city planning is that they plowed money into expanding highway 400 and other expressways, while neglecting public transportation. as a result, everyone lives in the suburbs and leaches off the city without giving anything back (taxes, personal investment, etc.).

MARTA is fine if you want to go north/south or east/west, but it certainly doesn't eliminate the need for a car. unfortunately. if the local officials had put some thought into it, they could've beefed up MARTA and really made the downtown a vibrant cultural and residential area. alas.

Dec 16, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philadelphia's SEPTA (SouthEast Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) is without a doubt the worst public transportation system in the country.

Not true, I live in Philly and I have lived in Dallas, Philly has a much superior system to Dallas. I dont use it much but it is reasonably quick when I need it - apart from the R5 which is pretty flaky.

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #27 of 81
Brisbane here. Public transport is ok- the buses are better than Sydney because of the lighter traffic, (at least outside of the CBD- since the freeway at the CBD seems to be crumbling around our ears) and the trains are good if you live near the lines - the train network isn't that comprehensive. Of the other cities I've lived in, I'd say it was better than Newcastle (UK) and probably more reliable but massively less comprehensive than London.

Camille, those autumn colours really make me wanna visit Vancouver!

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #28 of 81
I believe up here in Santa Rosa, It's really not to bad, altho I've never used it myself in over 30 years of living here
blink.gif
I see CityBus stops and busses all over the place, we have Golden Gate Transport for those needing to go to San Francisco, and a dedicated Airporter bus setup for those going to the Airports in San Francisco or Oakland. For several years now, activists have been pushing for additional 'tax' to purchase and restore i guess about 70 or 80 miles or so of an abandoned railway from Cloverdale to Larkspur (this side of the bay to San Francisco) that parallels the freeway (US101) which riders then would have to take the Ferry. It hasn't passed yet because there are too many people that time schedules or other personal reasons stop them from using public trans. Personally, I am dependant on my pickup truck as I have been a carpenter by trade for over 30 years now and there are just too many tools, supplies and materials that need to be transported every day to various projects and jobs.
plainface.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #29 of 81
Well, my town is pretty small, about 30k, there is public transportation, a bus system, but I've never taken it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back