Poll: Your Public Transportation in Your City
Dec 21, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #47 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Public transportation is called a car in Los Angeles.

Yep....I live in Los Angeles but I go to school in DC. I really like the DC Metro system, so I voted "Very Good".

Dec 21, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #48 of 81
Singapore apparently has one of, if not the best, public transport systems in the worth. Bus stops are never more than a 10 minute walk apart, and you can reach most places changing buses only once (some stops have twenty over different service numbers serving). Mass-rapid-transit (train) is clean and fast.

But I don't think the transport system is nearly good enough for our weather. I'd rather wait 30 minutes for a bus on a nice cool winter night, than 10 minutes on a warm sticky tropical night
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never set foot on a MARTA bus or train, ever.

Are you kidding? Why not? Are you really that homely?

When I lived in the ATL I used Marta all the time. Going from Perimeter to the Airport for $1.25 can't be beat.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #50 of 81
It sucks - I supose I'm a bit spoiled comming from a city with a really good public transportation system.

But seriously what kind of an idiot designs the bus routes so that litterally every bus goes to the intercity train station in the center of the city.

When I went to university I lived in the south western part of the city and could walk to the university in the south eastern part (~5 miles) faster than the bus could bring me there because the bus drove SW -> NW -> C -> NE -> SE.

And the bus drivers are always in a dreadful mood - I once experienced a bus driver who refused to drive on (he actually called the police) because there were two prams on board and the rule says only one is allowed - it was the quiet part of the day and there were like 5 persons on the bus - in the city were I used to live I have seen as many as 4 prams squeezed in during rush hour and no one complained.

The system is great if you are trying to get out of town otherwise it is useless - needless to say: I bought a car
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #51 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Octa_Bus.jpg

That's all we got here in the OC....I think.

yup, it's mediocre for what it is; hard to convince people to use it, so routes are definitely few

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #52 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at this time, transit in Vancouver is ok. they're handling the rapid transit construction quite well. can't wait for all the new trolleys to be in full service.

it was much better 10 years ago, not so much now.

oh so beautiful...

i was just there; those electric lines the buses attach to up top tripped me out

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #54 of 81
1 route, 4 buses a day, takes an hour and ten minutes to drive five miles (it spends most the time driving in the opposite direction), unreliable, seats 12 people for half the journey then you have to change to a full size bus, one of the most expensive routes per mile in the country, nice.

The average cost of getting a car on the road is over $8,000, the average time taken to do it, over a year.

Good thing it's a small country.

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #55 of 81
For me, the Stuttgart-system seems perfect, faster and more comfortable than bike (loveley Focus Mountain-Bike) or best car (Porsche, Mercedes or Smart)......

.... still, I use the car, because music-installation is nice
orphsmile.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by organicabstract /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone i know has NEVER rode on the cable car trollies downtown...

Well now you know me!

I live on Pine at Taylor, two blocks from the Powell lines, and one block from the California line. I live off of cable cars. They run as often as the busiest busses, both run straight to MUNI/BART stations... can't complain. There's something magical about a late-night cable car run to Jack-in-the-Box in my pajamas, riding next to some guy from Amsterdam who flew 6,000 miles to ride in the cable car I use to get munchies.

San Francisco's public transportation is just about as good as it gets in the US. The city is small, dense, and has a well-defined business/financial/downtown area that attracts most of the daily traffic... all of which make public transportation easier to implement. Sure it's late sometimes, and crowded sometimes, but that's life, and that's the same complaint you get from any public transportation system. It runs all night, it runs a lot, and it gets you home.

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #57 of 81
We have good bus service in the city and a new metro that doesn't really go anywhere, but is nice anyway. It costs roughly $4.50/trip to ride in the central city. Cabs are very very expensive. We also have seperate cycle paths on all major streets.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #60 of 81
ATL's subway system is good: if it services one of your areas. Since it really goes nowhere, most Atlantans don't use it! Probably why there's no delays. Only people in Decatur or tourists find use for it. Otherwise, there's traffic grid lock......very much like LA IMHO.

Best subway system in the U.S., I think, is in Washington DC. Even when there's construction on the tracks/ they seem to try to get the trains still moving....something tells me it has to do with all the politicians needing a working subway system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back