Poll: Is gaming a waste of time?
Jan 5, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 248

Quote:
Depends. I'm a fairly avid gamer but until recently I'd been spending most of my time listening to music when I would have been gaming. Over the Christmas period I've found myself gaming again, but listening to less music as a result.

I guess they're both a waste of time in a way, but by that definition so is visiting art galleries, going to the cinema, reading books etc.

I do bouth whne on PC and use me headphones when playing games, I find it evens out.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #47 of 248
Every thing can be a waste of time if you dont approve of it or it doesnt appeal to you. For me it is a great to relax and take out some frustrations from work. Then I can relax myself to sleep with some music.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #48 of 248
Heh, I mute my game and listen out of my Zune HD. Confused the hell out of my room mate when he walked in and I was kicking ass in Black Opts while while chilling to God Is an Astronaut.

Quote:
Quote:
Depends. I'm a fairly avid gamer but until recently I'd been spending most of my time listening to music when I would have been gaming. Over the Christmas period I've found myself gaming again, but listening to less music as a result.

I guess they're both a waste of time in a way, but by that definition so is visiting art galleries, going to the cinema, reading books etc.

I do bouth whne on PC and use me headphones when playing games, I find it evens out.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #49 of 248
Naw not a waste of time, unless it taking up your life to the point it takes up your life and is a waste of time. 
eek.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #50 of 248
really depends. gaming to unwind, or playing adventure games, to me like equivalent to watching movies.

however, if you have 300 days /played on your wow account within 2 years, then it's probably a major waste of life, not just time. :O (... that was me a while ago).

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #51 of 248
I'm pretty sure that Starcraft hasn't given me any real-world skills, but since I play <1 hour a day to have a little fun, I wouldn't consider it to be a waste of time. If you're playing to the point where it interferes with your school/work or preventing you from regular social activities and you're not a Korean, then gaming is a waste of time for you.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #52 of 248
Never seen the point in Starcraft...guess it's just not fun.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #53 of 248

Quote:
Never seen the point in Starcraft...guess it's just not fun.

For me there's a competitive aspect that I've never felt in any other game, and that keeps it fresh for me. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #54 of 248
Aw the stars align now. 
biggrin.gif
 I've have to play it some time but until then there's.....

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #56 of 248
I think gaming is a waste of time.  You get nothing from the time you invest in it.

If you invested several hundred hours into DIY electronics, you'd have all sorts of killer gear.  The $500 you spent on a console and games would translate (roughly) into a $2,000 (retail) amp.  Markups are usually four times parts cost.

And you're better off socializing in real life, as well.  Playing a character online doesn't count as socializing.

Go outside and say "hi" to someone.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #57 of 248
I think gaming is a waste of time.  You get nothing from the time you invest in it.

If you invested several hundred hours into DIY electronics, you'd have all sorts of killer gear.  The $500 you spent on a console and games would translate (roughly) into a $2,000 (retail) amp.  Markups are usually four times parts cost.

And you're better off socializing in real life, as well.  Playing a character online doesn't count as socializing.

Go outside and say "hi" to someone.

I understand your points, but not all gamers portray an online character a la MMORPGs, and I'm sure not all of them get the same enjoyment out of DIY as gaming. (I enjoy both.) To each his own. I'd rather be happy than have all the material things in the world, after all. Anything that brings happiness is not a waste of time or money.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #58 of 248

Quote:
I understand your points, but not all gamers portray an online character a la MMORPGs, and I'm sure not all of them get the same enjoyment out of DIY as gaming. (I enjoy both.) To each his own. I'd rather be happy than have all the material things in the world, after all. Anything that brings happiness is not a waste of time or money.

Yeah, it's an activity to have fun and burn off some steam, which saves on psychiatrist bills in the long run. For some people it's soldering your heart out, others it's pwning nubs, still others it's harvesting strawberries in farmville. It doesn't actually save you money to DIY when you figure in your comparative advantage (can you tell that I just had a semester of Micro??), but you derive enjoyment and satisfaction that makes it all totally worth it. :) 

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #59 of 248
It sounds as if Uncle Erik needs to play more games 
biggrin.gif

No but in all seriousness to each is own but games for me are just games something fun to do nothing more nothing less.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #60 of 248
Yeah, a very efficient way of wasting time actually. Nevertheless, it can be very joyful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back