Poll: Is gaming a waste of time?
Jan 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #16 of 248
Yes, IMO gaming is a waste of time, but I don't think there is anything wrong with wasting a couple of hours a day on something you enjoy. OTOH if someone is spending 8-12 hours a day or more gaming on a regular basis, they aren't just wasting time, they are wasting their life.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 248
Other:
Depends what you are using it for and to what degree.
You can say "I game to distract myself" but if this leads to continuous hours of flaming and uttered curses while getting owned in a fps game then I can't really say you're being productive.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 248

Quote:
Yes, IMO gaming is a waste of time, but I don't think there is anything wrong with wasting a couple of hours a day on something you enjoy. OTOH if someone is spending 8-12 hours a day or more gaming on a regular basis, they aren't just wasting time, they are wasting their life.

I'm happy I was able to quit WoW after over a year ingame time (8700h+) I got during three years of my gaming addiction. Got my life in order again a year ago and don't have any urges to play anything now.

And oh yes, it definitely was waste of time.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 248
The very point of gaming is to waste time. Although you need self-control or you can sink into the gaming world, you stop going to school, your girlfriend leaves you, etc. Hey I just play my Tux Racer.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 248
Well it depends on how much you play a day on average. I spend more money on games than on headphones but only play a max of 3 hours a day so i think it's alright if you're doing it for fun. Also some RTS games like starcraft 2 actually helps your critical thinking.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 248

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Everything is a waste of time.

I'd like to elaborate on my earlier post. As my Psychology teacher says, "Everything short of eating and screwing is a waste of time." He elaborated further, but I'm not going to.

One could argue that even those two things are a waste of time

I disagree. You have to eat to stay alive, and every living thing has... urges. Hence why 95% (IIRC, it's been a while, but the number is close to that) of Pedophiles are repeat offenders. Their... erm... urges are unavoidable.

Quote:
Being alive is a waste of time.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 248

Quote:
Talking about whether something does/doesn't waste time is a waste of time.

Stop wasting my time. 
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #29 of 248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back