Poll: How much would you spend on cable upgrades
Apr 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 16
Up to about 20% of headphone cost.
Which sums up to about $600, since I have about $3,000 worth of headphones.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 16
0%. Stock cables work fine.

Debate on cable aside, it is ridiculous to make purchases based on the percentage of the price of something.

Price is not an indication of quality.

When you evaluate audio gear, do not assume that you have to spend X because you spent Y on something else.

Evaluate each purchase for the best performance possible versus the point of diminishing returns. Each type of gear has a point where the majority of its cost goes directly into the pocket of the manufacturer, or for stuff that makes zero difference, like a 1" thick faceplate. When you see the benefits trail off into nothingness, yet the price tag continues to skyrocket, that's where you draw the line.

If you pay for something that costs $5,000, with $4,000 of profit going directly to the manufacturer (you'd be surprised how often this is the case), does that mean that you have to spend 20% on an accessory for it? That's insane. You'll pay as much for the accessory as the item is actually worth.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 16
Anywhere between ~0% and 100%, depending on the equipment, options, expected improvement per additional dollar, etc.

For example, I'd be willing to pay 100% of headphone cost for a cable that I expected would provide a great improvement in quality, but I wouldn't be willing to pay 20% for a cable that I expected would provide only a barely detectable improvement over the 0% cable.

When merely upgrading to a different configuration (e.g. unbalanced -> balanced, stock -> braided), I'd also rather buy the materials and make the stuff myself, because it kills two birds with one stone (more fun + lower cost). Plus you get to tweak/redo the cable until you're happy with it.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 16
I have spent at least twice the price of the HD 650 for replacement cables (Zu Mobius, Silver Dragon (x2), BlackSilver, Oehlbach) and invested many hours for making my own cables.

Would I do it again? In the same situation: yes, because at that time the HD 650 gave me the sound I wanted, and I wanted it to be even a trace better -- not another headphone.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0%. Stock cables work fine.

Debate on cable aside, it is ridiculous to make purchases based on the percentage of the price of something.

Price is not an indication of quality.

When you evaluate audio gear, do not assume that you have to spend X because you spent Y on something else.

Evaluate each purchase for the best performance possible versus the point of diminishing returns. Each type of gear has a point where the majority of its cost goes directly into the pocket of the manufacturer, or for stuff that makes zero difference, like a 1" thick faceplate. When you see the benefits trail off into nothingness, yet the price tag continues to skyrocket, that's where you draw the line.

If you pay for something that costs $5,000, with $4,000 of profit going directly to the manufacturer (you'd be surprised how often this is the case), does that mean that you have to spend 20% on an accessory for it? That's insane. You'll pay as much for the accessory as the item is actually worth.

Seriously guys, read this. Uncle Erik is a wise one
smily_headphones1.gif

And I have to ask: What is wrong with stock cables?
My opinion is that in most cases there is NOTHING wrong with them

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...And I have to ask: What is wrong with stock cables?

There's nothing wrong with the stock cable, but with a good aftermarket cable the sound is even righter.
smily_headphones1.gif

How many of them have you tried?

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 16
It also depends highly on which cable you want to upgrade from.
If you already own an interconnect/power/... cable worth 15% of the headphone value its probably not worth it to upgrade to a 20% one...

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously guys, read this. Uncle Erik is a wise one
smily_headphones1.gif

And I have to ask: What is wrong with stock cables?

1. I don't "trust" stock cables.
2. They are not as pretty
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 16
I love the cables I do! BUT I have found if I do not like the sound signature of a particular brand or specific headphone then a re-cable does not change that, the changes are subtle and it is more a case of refining their strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back