[Poll] How Do you get your Tunes?
Oct 10, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 27
If it's someone I haven't listened to before and were recommended to me I'll find some samples and list. Otherwise buy the CD, rip to FLAC.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rip and/or listen to CD's. Usually they're bought from those old-fashioned things called record shops (stores).

Oh yeah, my dad spoke of those. I didn't pay any attention to it. He cant stop rambling about 'the good old day'.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, my dad spoke of those. I didn't pay any attention to it. He cant stop rambling about 'the good old day'.

Up hill both ways?

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 27
Poke through bins of used vinyl at thrift stores, junk shops, used record stores, garage sales, or anywhere LPs turn up. Buy anything that looks interesting.

Also buy used CDs this way, but I'll shop for older non-compressed versions on eBay and will occasionally pay full price for SACDs and nice new vinyl.

Folks, turntables really do pay for themselves.

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 27
I listen through youtube or other sites such as lastfm and programs like itunes to preview the songs. Then I'll usually buy the cd and rip it into FLAC files for archival purposes in an external drive or other partition to keep them safe. Then I'll use the mp3 files for portable music players.

About torrents that type of stuff, I think it's okay to download them as long as you have the original cd or purchased file.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

Also buy used CDs this way, but I'll shop for older non-compressed versions on eBay and will occasionally pay full price for SACDs and nice new vinyl.

snip

I've been buying quite a few old CDs off ebay. I rip them with EAC and FLAC and the store the media.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Most of the times I download it. If I consider it good, I get the album new or 2nd hand.

Yep, same here. I don't always download before I buy, especially in the case of bands I already know I love, but with money being tighter lately and every decision counting more, it has sort of become a prerequisite. That and very few bands can be counted on to always put out a good album now.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_headshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen through youtube or other sites such as lastfm and programs like itunes to preview the songs. Then I'll usually buy the cd and rip it into FLAC files for archival purposes in an external drive or other partition to keep them safe. Then I'll use the mp3 files for portable music players.

About torrents that type of stuff, I think it's okay to download them as long as you have the original cd or purchased file.

Ditto. I'm curious, what do most people pay for a CD, on average? I try to support the two independent locally owned stores in town, usually pay between $6-10 for a CD.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #26 of 27
Wow that's pretty cheap. There no local music stores for me, so I get what I can at best buy and FYE. They are usually $10-15. Then I rip them and spin them in my CD player. I will download the album if I don't know them, testing to see if i will buy the CD (I usually do). I will also download if I bought the LP. I search at record shops in NYC, audio stores, and thrift shops.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Most of the times I download it. If I consider it good, I get the album new or 2nd hand. Then rip it using EAC + Flac Frontend.

same here

anything i dont like gets deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back