Poll: Hearing Protectin At Live Concerts
Jul 9, 2004 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

k.ODOMA

100+ Head-Fier
I personally use tissue paper right now, but I'm looking into getting higher quality earplugs. What are other people using?

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 30
i refuse to go to a concert without earplugs. i simply can't enjoy it without them, and unless i forget, i bring my er-20's to every show i go to.

there are three artists whose shows i have been to that did not require earplugs: tori amos, sigur ros, and the decemberists. everybody else seems to be bent on playing as loud as possible, and i hate it.

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch
there are three artists whose shows i have been to that did not require earplugs: tori amos, sigur ros, and the decemberists. everybody else seems to be bent on playing as loud as possible, and i hate it.

I've seen the Violent Femmes three times and each time the audience was louder than the band. It was a case of not enough amplification.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 30
it's one thing to feel the music. it's another thing for your ears to feel the music with the rest of the body. So yeah. Earplugs is a must for me since my hearing is so sensitive. The cheap foamy ones from Sears works just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 30
Cheap foamies. I own a pair of Ety ER-20s, and then don't attenuate enough to be useful in most cases. Riding on a plane with them doesn't cut down the noise enough to make the ride more comfortable, and neither does wearing them when the wife vacuums. A cheap pair of foamies would be my hearing protection of choice, hands down.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Cheap foamies. I own a pair of Ety ER-20s, and then don't attenuate enough to be useful in most cases. Riding on a plane with them doesn't cut down the noise enough to make the ride more comfortable, and neither does wearing them when the wife vacuums. A cheap pair of foamies would be my hearing protection of choice, hands down.

A friend of mine who has tried the etys said basically the same thing, that they aren't really an improvement over cheap earplugs.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by k.ODOMA
A friend of mine who has tried the etys said basically the same thing, that they aren't really an improvement over cheap earplugs.

IME they're a step BACK, nor forward. The only advantage I can see is that they can be reused multiplke times before wearing out. They do cost a fortune for what you get, like $10 for a single pair, so that doesn't help matters at all.

I just stock up on the cheap foamies whenever I need some, and am quite happy leaving the Etys sitting around unused.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Riding on a plane with them doesn't cut down the noise enough to make the ride more comfortable, and neither does wearing them when the wife vacuums.

Ya, right, like you have a lot of experience with that, vaccuum boy!!!

I can just see it now... "Honey bunch, could you please plug in the vaccuum just for a little while so I can evaluate these ER-20's? No, honey bunch, of course you don't have to actually vaccuum... I just... just... want to figure out if they attenuate well... Yes, dear!!! I'll vaccuum the room, like always... I just need you to give me a helping hand for a minute."

Jul 9, 2004 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 30
Not to sound crazy, but if I get asked to a concert where I suspect hearing protection is required, I skip the show. I hope film theaters never get to the point of requiring sunglasses either.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 30
Although the sound at concerts can get to ear-splitting levels sometimes, it sort of defeats the purpose of going to hear the music by plugging up your ears.

Tom

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 30
Depends on the concert, as a general rule rock & metal concerts require earplugs unless you want your ears to ring for the next couple days. I use the cheap drug store foam ones for those. For other music it depends on the artist & venue, but when in doubt I always bring protection just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back