Poll: Hearing Protectin At Live Concerts
Jul 9, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #16 of 30
I always take my Etys ER-20s just in case. If the sound is too loud I 've found the etys do a good job of reducing the the volumn without stripping off the highs like the cheap foam plugs tend to do.

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #17 of 30
I use tissue paper wadded up. I've seen several VERY LOUD concerts with this technique and hardly ever have any ringing afterwords. I mean, see someone like Helmet or the Jesus Lizard in a bar without protection and you'll have ringing ears for at least a few days. Funny because my first concert was Iron Maiden in a big arena.. I brought ear plugs fully expecting my ears to be blown off, and I didn't need them, the sound was perfect. Loud, but not painful at all.

I hate foam or wax earplugs.. makes me feel like I'm stuck in my head. Very unnerving. I don't get that effect with the tissue. I still keep my bearings.

-jar

Jul 9, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 30
i did my own comparison at a stereolab show i went to recently.

stereolab is exteremly loud live, with earsplitting moog screams and two drummers, one right in front. i was in the first row, standing in front of laetitia (lead singer). without earplugs the live sound was over-bright and painful. i tried cheap foam plugs (mack's safe sound) and it lowered the high frequencies a lot, but the bass was overpowering. i then tried the ety er20 plugs. the show was still plenty loud, but not painful and the bass:treble was more even. i also use the er20 at movies. i modded my er20 to use the clear silicon flange tips from the er6 for better comfort.

Jul 9, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #19 of 30
I wouldn't ever wear earplugs to the kind of shows that I go to, but I don't try to get as close to the stage as possible, either. When I saw Radiohead in Hamburg last year, I found a spot in the center of the audience and roughly 50-100 feet back from the stage. While I might not have been able to see every nuance of Thom's facial expressions, the sound was better than any concert I have been to before or since. It was still loud as hell, but my ears weren't ringing at all after the lights came on.

I completely agree with blessingx's comment. If listening to the music hurts, you're probably better off just throwing on the album unless you really want to see the people moving around on stage. I've been to a few great concerts, but I'd have to say that I can get a lot more enjoyment out of a great album.

~Jordan

Jul 9, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 30
I did a big project about this a few years ago and have some reccomendations:

Using tissue paper to cover your ears does very little to nothing in the way of sound attenuation. It merely muffles the sound, making people think that it's quieter than it is.

I personally use a pair of ER-20's, and there has only been one concert that i've been to where i didn't need them (Pedro the lion in a full-acoustic set at a record store). Otherwise, they've come in handy many times, and are more than worth the cost i paid for them.

As for foam/rubber earplugs, they provide more protection (Which is somehow sometimes needed, even with ER-20's, i've had my ears ringing lightly after shows), but they muffle the sound more. Some people can tolerate them, but i can't for one.

Jul 9, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 30
guinieamcpig
i should note i stood in the front at the stereolab show because i was recording it and wanted some stereo seperation. it turned out to be one of the best live shows i've ever heard.

Jul 10, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
I did a big project about this a few years ago and have some reccomendations:

Using tissue paper to cover your ears does very little to nothing in the way of sound attenuation. It merely muffles the sound, making people think that it's quieter than it is.

I personally use a pair of ER-20's, and there has only been one concert that i've been to where i didn't need them (Pedro the lion in a full-acoustic set at a record store). Otherwise, they've come in handy many times, and are more than worth the cost i paid for them.

As for foam/rubber earplugs, they provide more protection (Which is somehow sometimes needed, even with ER-20's, i've had my ears ringing lightly after shows), but they muffle the sound more. Some people can tolerate them, but i can't for one.

Has there been any actual studies done to determine what kind of reduction in db tissue paper provides (obviously it will depend on how much is used and how it's wadded up)? I've used tp at shows and have been able to listen comfortably with very little to no ear ringing afterwards. The reduction in db seemed very real. And in my personal experience, I haven't noticed a dramatic improvement from using disposable earplugs.

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 30
Live performances can be just too loud so protection is a must. But lately, I have wished I had carried ear plugs with me to the movies. What's happening in cinemas is criminal... Shrek two in the cinema near me was so loud the kids complained and I actually watched the film with my fingers in my ear. When I got home I couldn't even bear the thought of listening to music through my cans until the next day... and that is a sign of just how loud it was!

The other one that really can be annoying is the volume used on aircraft for in flight announcements. Do they think we are going to ignore them unless they come across at indecent levels?

Sadly, our hearing is being compromised in so many places (when I'd rather do short compromising sessions on my headphone rig instead). We need to start a HEARING PROTECTION MOVEMENT, maybe something like CANS... (i.e. Collective for Auditory Nusance Silencing)!!!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 30
If you found your movie viewing experience too loud then complain to the theater manager. If enough people complain then they'll eventually to turn it down or provide hearing protection.

Jul 12, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 30
I must say that live performaces are very loud, however it is one of the few places i don't wear ear protection. I have very sensitive hearing and when i get home my ears are ringing and i can't hear very well, but it's a live performace. I don't go to enough to justify drowning down the sound with earplugs.

That said i wear earplugs everytime i got into a city club. But then R&B is harldy something worth damaging my ears for, plus it's a weekly event.

I'm using Silicone stuff rolled into a ball and placed over the ear. Ear plugs used to fall out and draw attention, but most people assume i'm simply deaf when i ask them to speak up. No one (except one girl who decided to nibble on my ear
rolleyes.gif
) has ever even noticed them in the clubs. And they are rated 22dB NNR, and bring the earpiercing club music down to my average listening levels.

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #26 of 30
None for me. The concerts I attend are not of the extremely loud variety, so I'm good to go.

Jul 12, 2004 at 11:20 AM Post #27 of 30
Mr Radar: Agree, complaining to the management is the answer if you wish to help their business grow and prosper. I take a view that why should I do the sound level testing for a cinema chain???

If they get it horribly wrong, I will just never go back there and I will also advise my friends not to... Why support the worst operators when responsible cinemas hopefully still exist? Not the ideal solution but have you tried advising the staff of a cinema on sound levels, its not easy.

I liked your comment that advising the management would mean they would provide hearing protection... still chuckling at the thought of them handing out those little foamies to the crowd... at least next time I'd say no thanks, I've got my own!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jul 12, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #28 of 30
Unfortunately I always, ALWAYS forget to bring earplugs, so I find myself rolling up a wet wad of TP and twisting it into my ear. I'm glad I read this thread, though, I was thinking about buying the ER-20s, and now I've decided to go for the el-cheapo rubber earplugs I've seen at Wal-Mart.

Jul 12, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
so I find myself rolling up a wet wad of TP and twisting it into my ear

Wet?? Now that's just foul.

Jul 12, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #30 of 30
All about some foam earplugs or even cigarette butts work

that's just sorta one of those things you do at the shooting range though as it looks a little odd elsewhere
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back