Poll: HD25-1 VS ATH M-50 for techno and metal
Apr 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AlbinoDino

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between these two headphones. Either would be my first 'real' headphones as I listen to Skullcandy Skulcrushers now.

Music- I listen to metal and techno(DnB/Dubstep)

Comfort - A HUGE factor as I will be using these a few hours everyday

Sound quality - Another HUGE factor. If I am going to be spending this much money, I want something that sounds very good.

Amp - I do not want to buy an amp. So the headphone will need to be driven by just an ipod touch 4G

Soundstage - Really does not matter to me but I will be gaming with FPS's using these headphones

Isolation - A fairly small factor. The environment in which I live is almost always quiet. But some Isolation would be nice 

Price - I cannot go much higher than 300

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 5
M50s are suitable for Techno but not for Rock. It's just missing that oomph and the bass is a bit overpowering.

If you wouldn't mind a cheap feeling headphones, I just recieved a pair of Superlux HD 669s. They are essentially a pair of Gradios(Highly recomended for Rock), in a closed can with a boatload of mid bass added. I love then with Hip-Hop and Dubstep so I think you should give them a shot. They only 60$ and I think they are much better than the M50s, a bit better than the biger brother A700s and a little short of being on par with my Modded SR60s.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 5
the HD25 beats out the M50s in everything that doesn't need a big sound stage and that isn't really fast paced. At quieter levels the HD25 sounds more sterile, and it's more difficult to listen to its awesome qualities, but at just about any level it is always very fast paced, and exciting. The M50 stay pretty consistent in distinguishing quality and notes and any level, but it definitely doesn't keep it as exciting. Only reason for the note distinction at lower levels is because the M50 has more of a U shaped sound signature than the HD25, and the HD25 is a little more analytical sounding, and that does not mean in just the treble, I mean in all the frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back