Poll...Do you hear a difference in cables?
Nov 2, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #166 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave
Are you saying that even when you do note differences in things you do not trust it unless there is verifiable proof to back up the difference?

Differences should be consistent and repeatable. If they appear random and sporadic, there may be a different cause for them than the one you expect.

See ya
Steve

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #167 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisco
I do wonder if the fact that the little dot micro and sennheiser are supposed be very neutral sounding and less coloured and I am listening to atrac at 256kbs allows for the differences to be heard when comparing an extreme like....cheap thin copper cable to a solid silver cable? I don't have a clue....

If the copper cable was extremely thin then it might have a measurably higher resistance. As luck would have it I have just bought a cheap portable amp that had a cheap cable with it, this cable is the thinnest thing I have seen, it is about 1/2 of the width of the cable that came with my PA2V2. I will try comparing it with my Monster Cable mini to mini Interconnect that is made from two runs of thick speaker cable and is bloody enormous.

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #168 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Spelling, grammar and punctuation reflects on one's education as well.

That depends on whether you claim to have ears capable of hearing infra-red signals.

(I still don't know what's wrong with pointing out that most remote controls are poorly designed...)

See ya
Steve

Sorby ta afand ya buy mi lak of adumaction...we'll tri ta doe batter in da futre

To state that the remote control is the most important part when picking out a CD player, is a little off base, do you not think?

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #169 of 189
Quote:

Differences should be consistent and repeatable. If they appear random and sporadic, there may be a different cause for them than the one you expect.

See ya
Steve

In one sentence you have just shot down the Chaos theory...good job

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #170 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Did you ever give thought to the possibility that it could be your ego that is the problem?

I try to always argue calmly, on-point. If I make a point based on observation, experience and knowledge, I expect someone who is going to argue against it to do the same with even stronger supporting arguments. That doesn't always happen. Some people feel that they need to win a debate at any cost. They resort to ad-hominem attacks, irrelevant quotes taken out of context and deliberate baiting to try to get me angry. Those are the people with ego problems, not me.

See ya
Steve

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #171 of 189
Quote:

If either of you heard my equipment with a simply blind test with the two different interconnects you would be embarrassed as to how obvious the difference is.

If you're in the Hollywood area, I'd be happy to stop by for a listen.

See ya
Steve

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #172 of 189
Quote:

You can't insult an inanimate object. My scorn is directed at hideously overpriced rocks and wires. Too bad some folks take negative comments about pebbles and wires so personally. It makes it difficult for them to remain civil.

What on God's good, green earth are you talking about? You said: "That should tell you something about the folks who participate in these polls." (Emphasis added.) That's not a comment about an inanimate object.

Dude, you just "dance a little sidestep" every time you are exposed. Quite amusing, and at this point pretty transparent to everyone given the frequency of its occurrence.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #173 of 189
I said;

I am either BSing people or I am telling the truth and if I am telling the truth it at least shows that cable can make a difference given certain equipement.

To me saying this cannot happen when it is Soooo apparent because you can't trust your own ears is like saying I can't trust my own eyes....maybe I can't see the moniter maybe I just think I can......before anyone jumps on that I point again to the objective blind testing results

To which you say;

Quote:

Seems to me that this is akin to arguing light peacock blue with a color blind person.

To me if you hear a difference, how can I possibly diagree. If YOU like what you hear that is all that matters.

Your first point is FAR from clear, your second one is abundantly so. I will comment on your second point and allow you to clarify what is in that muddy analogy.

I agree that you cannot say whether I can hear something or not and I agree that all that matters is whether or not you like the differences that you can hear in terms of the music.

I do like the differences

For the purpose of this debate me liking what I can hear is not what matters.

From the objective blind testing I did between two interconnects;

Five people picked what they thought was the better SQ from multiple testing and the result showed a 10-0 preference towards one interconnect.

That tells me that people can tell the difference between cables at least with the equipment and interconnects I have. If your analogy relates to the contrary then I would like you to explain the results of my testing. I would also like you to explain to me how when there is such a significant difference in SQ- I am not talking a small difference hear I am talking of a HUGE difference- how it is that the highs are not so much more bearable that I am able to listen to my music for hours longer at a time?

Quote:

If you're in the Hollywood area, I'd be happy to stop by for a listen.

See ya
Steve

I couldn’t disagree with you more on this issue…but if I lived in Hollywood area you would be welcome mate....i’m the other side of the Atlantic though….

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #174 of 189
wait crisco, whats the components in the setup you are so fascinated by? my setup doesnt reveal the cable colouration as much as I would like it to.

[EDIT] oops lol i think we are using like the same stuff lol!

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #175 of 189
I can say that I hear a very big difference between the cables I have (see my signature). I never thought I would notice such differences but they are in fact present and color the music on their own way.

I'm in the process of comparing all 4 of them to note down the differences I hear and post here so that I can share and gain some input from you guys.

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #176 of 189
Quote:

I said;

I am either BSing people or I am telling the truth and if I am telling the truth it at least shows that cable can make a difference given certain equipement.

To me saying this cannot happen when it is Soooo apparent because you can't trust your own ears is like saying I can't trust my own eyes....maybe I can't see the moniter maybe I just think I can......before anyone jumps on that I point again to the objective blind testing results

To which you say;

Your first point is FAR from clear, your second one is abundantly so. I will comment on your second point and allow you to clarify what is in that muddy analogy.

I agree that you cannot say whether I can hear something or not and I agree that all that matters is whether or not you like the differences that you can hear in terms of the music.

I do like the differences

For the purpose of this debate me liking what I can hear is not what matters.

From the objective blind testing I did between two interconnects;

Five people picked what they thought was the better SQ from multiple testing and the result showed a 10-0 preference towards one interconnect.

That tells me that people can tell the difference between cables at least with the equipment and interconnects I have. If your analogy relates to the contrary then I would like you to explain the results of my testing. I would also like you to explain to me how when there is such a significant difference in SQ- I am not talking a small difference hear I am talking of a HUGE difference- how it is that the highs are not so much more bearable that I am able to listen to my music for hours longer at a time?

Sorry the first part did not make sense. I was agreeing with you.

You said "To me saying this cannot happen when it is Soooo apparent because you can't trust your own ears is like saying I can't trust my own eyes"

I said "sort of akin to arguing light blue peacock (maybe I should have said just blue ~ the color) with a color blind person"

ie. how can we argue with other people's personal experiences or lack of

I am not here to debate tests (as this is a DBT free forum). I am here to find what sounds better

Hope this clarifies it.

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #177 of 189
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
You said: "That should tell you something about the folks who participate in these polls."

To say that this poll is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the truth because another poll of the same people going on at the same time has obviously inaccurate responses isn't an insult to anyone. It's a statement of fact.

Ignorance isn't a sin. "Everyone is ignorant... just on different subjects." -Mark Twain

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #178 of 189
Quote:

In one sentence you have just shot down the Chaos theory...good job

Are you saying that high end cables operate the way they do because of chaos theory? I like that!

See ya
Steve

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #179 of 189
Quote:

To say that this poll is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the truth because another poll of the same people going on at the same time has obviously inaccurate responses isn't an insult to anyone. It's a statement of fact.

Ignorance isn't a sin. "Everyone is ignorant... just on different subjects." -Mark Twain

Unbelievable. Do you hear the words that are coming out of my mouth? Do you hear the words that are coming out of your mouth? How about I respond in kind: "To say this poll is not an accurate reflection of the truth does not mean that the Detroit Tigers are the best baseball team of all time."
blink.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #180 of 189
Steve...

Vul Kuolun Said “Of course do i not trust my own ears, when doing a comparison. Do you think, if i made a test today (and there was a "real" difference), i would hear it? Even if i told you that i was really skeptic about my own belief that there is no difference?”

To which I responded “Are you saying that even when you do note differences in things you do not trust it unless there is verifiable proof to back up the difference?”

You responded “Differences should be consistent and repeatable. If they appear random and sporadic, there may be a different cause for them than the one you expect”

To which I responded “In one sentence you have just shot down the Chaos theory...good job”

Then the leap was made “Are you saying that high end cables operate the way they do because of chaos theory? I like that!”

I must confess Steve I do not know what should come next. I'm having a tough time keeping up with your logic. (May have sumthang to do wit my edumication)

My first thought was "I like cake". Second thought was "Earth to Steve"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back