Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Jan 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #391 of 551
Quote:
No, you can't. You're hearing distortion from those poopy speakers. 

It's not impossible, I managed to hear up to 22000Hz with my Superlux HD 681 and Realtek ALC892 when I generated sine waves (amplitude set to 1) in Audacity, it did become hard after 20893Hz, though. Since I had to concentrate on what I was listening to.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #393 of 551
chairmansaab, what test file did you use?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #394 of 551
Quote:
I doubt that was distorted sound. Volume is at 70% and its 2:16am here i can still hear that sound and clear. Nope, speakers seems fine.

It is distortion. Either it's present in the sample or it's due to your phone. Or both.

Typically you wouldn't be able to hear a 20 kHz tone unless you were listening at 140 dB SPL. Rather than assume you have golden ears, you should doubt the fidelity of your playback equipment. This is directed at everybody else who claims they can hear beyond 20 kHz as well.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #395 of 551
He's 14, it's not that improbable.

When I was younger an incandescent lightbulb turned on in a separate room would bug me. 

Even with my rear projection TV... at multiple times on my way out from school I would notice I left it on in my basement(on a blank video input channel) while I was on my way out.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #396 of 551
I agree. Its not that much of a surprise to me either. What's more surprising is the amount of damage done to peoples ears on a daily basis from noise-pollution alone.... Then factor in the other miscellaneous things and its a very big problem across the board.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #398 of 551
Quote:
I agree. Its not that much of a surprise to me either. What's more surprising is the amount of damage done to peoples ears on a daily basis from noise-pollution alone.... Then factor in the other miscellaneous things and its a very big problem across the board.

Tell me about it.  If only people knew....

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #399 of 551
Quote:

Tell me about it.  If only people knew....

That's the sad part. Most are simply oblivious to it.... I guess I never was able to be a part of that group since I've always been extra sensitive to the higher frequencies and the pain I get from excessively loud volumes in general.....

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #400 of 551
That's the sad part. Most are simply oblivious to it.... I guess I never was able to be a part of that group since I've always been extra sensitive to the higher frequencies and the pain I get from excessively loud volumes in general.....

Same here. I've been to concerts and cover my ears or stuff tissues in them because its uncomfortable. Lol. I'm the only person at my job that wears earplugs in the server room. I even measured the decibel level at 97 on average and let everyone know, and they just don't care. I don't want to lose hearing, in any amount. Nor do I want tinnitus. I want to enjoy music as long as humanly possible as well:p

Now I bring earplugs to concerts. I don't care what people say... I may even try some musician earplugs that claim to preserve frequency balance. Hmmmmm...

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #401 of 551
Quote:
Same here. I've been to concerts and cover my ears or stuff tissues in them because its uncomfortable. Lol. I'm the only person at my job that wears earplugs in the server room. I even measured the decibel level at 97 on average and let everyone know, and they just don't care. I don't want to lose hearing, in any amount. Nor do I want tinnitus. I want to enjoy music as long as humanly possible as well:p

Now I bring earplugs to concerts. I don't care what people say... I may even try some musician earplugs that claim to preserve frequency balance. Hmmmmm...

Oh yeah the fans can be super loud in server rooms lol. Had issues with that at my last job as well. I would wear my IEMs as much as possible to just kill the noise.... I really can't wait for my customs to come in... Will be nice to have complete isolation and at lower volumes as well.... Quite funny when you hear so many different types of noises (distractions) and you aren't even trying to focus on it lol...

Speaking of covering ones ears. I also do that at loud events. Even when people are screaming it makes my ears crackle bad.... Like I'm picking up on distortion lol.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #403 of 551
Well, I hate to say my age because Lee730 thinks I'm 16, but I'm really 56 and I can only hear the 10khz tone.   I recommend checking out this test
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html.   It doesn't have 10khz, but it has the others and what's neat is that you can figure out the dbs to allow you to hear the frequency, so how much louder to crank it up and further run the ears!!!LOL!!! 
Just took this test  http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php and I have moderate hearing loss for pretty 125 to 8Khz!

Jan 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #404 of 551
Quote:
Well, I hate to say my age because Lee730 thinks I'm 16, but I'm really 56 and I can only hear the 10khz tone.   I recommend checking out this test
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html.   It doesn't have 10khz, but it has the others and what's neat is that you can figure out the dbs to allow you to hear the frequency, so how much louder to crank it up and further run the ears!!!LOL!!! 
Just took this test  http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php and I have moderate hearing loss for pretty 125 to 8Khz!

lol you lied! :wink:

If your DAC isn't up to snuff it could be messing up your tests as well (needs to be set to match the test files output, so if its 16/44 it needs to be set to that in windows sound). Consider that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back