POLL: BLADE RUNNER or THE MATRIX (original release)
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #61 of 89
Yep, Blade Runner without a doubt.

Both are great movies, but BR is a classic. I've dropped it into my DVD player far more times than The Matrix. It creates a world that is just so satisfying to immerse yourself in.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #63 of 89
I am absolutely 50/50 on this one. That is why I started the poll. Both are brilliant films as far as I am concerned. If I were forced to choose, however, I would give the nod to Blade Runner, only because it paved the road for the Matrix. Yet, for the Matrix to come out some 17 years later and to raise the bar as high as it did, when this genre was flooded by this point in time, was an absolute feat. Both of these films make a certain other science-fiction movie look like child's play.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #64 of 89
When I watch to Blade Runner, somehow, I get the feeling that I am listen to Roger Waters, which I like pretty much. But when I watch to The Matrix its like listen to a TRANCE, which I like pretty much to.
So, I choose The Matrix, simply because of not hidden energy of it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #66 of 89
Blade Runner has so many levels of interpretation that each time I watch it it's not only a pleasure, but a more pleasant experience than the last time. It's one of my favourite films, along with Clockwork Orange and few others (I don't know the English name of a couple of those).
I agree with Grawk in that Harrison Ford was perfect for the part, and by contrast made Rutger Hauer shine even more by being the more "human" of the two.

Matrix, on the other hand, was kind of meh for me. It might be innovative in some technical ways, but I am not bothered much with those changes if the overall film isn't involving. I second who compared Matrix to "plastic".

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #67 of 89
Gotta go matrix here, I have seen both and for whatever reason BR didn't excite me. But the way the doctor died with the eye gauging that was sick.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #68 of 89
The Matrix probably should've been the easy choice for me, but the sequels ruined it as a whole to me (although, oddly, I don't like Anime, but liked The Animatrix). The reason I say easy, is that I actually had not seen Blade Runner until about a month ago. I'd bought it on DVD a while back and had not watched it yet, and decided one day to pop it in and give it a watch. I'm still a little, WTFish about it. I can see why its well liked, and yet I'm also a little perturbed by it for some reason.

This is the Director's Cut (not the recent final one or whatever that they made a fuss about a year or so ago), so that might have something to do with it.

While I can't think of any others off hand that I'd necessarily say were better, but I will say I don't think either of these is my favorite sci-fi films.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #71 of 89
Loved them both, but Blade Runner is a deeper movie than The Matrix. Blade Runner has the edge for the cast, director and being adapted from a Philip K. Dick story. Fishburn is always great and I do like Keanu, but Blade Runner outclasses The Matrix in most ways.

A couple others I love are 2001: A Space Odyssey and Gattaca, which is something of a sleeper, but should gain in reputation over the years. Gattaca is one of the greats.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #73 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loved them both, but Blade Runner is a deeper movie than The Matrix. Blade Runner has the edge for the cast, director and being adapted from a Philip K. Dick story. Fishburn is always great and I do like Keanu, but Blade Runner outclasses The Matrix in most ways.

A couple others I love are 2001: A Space Odyssey and Gattaca, which is something of a sleeper, but should gain in reputation over the years. Gattaca is one of the greats.

Agreed, Gattaca really was a great film and almost never spoken of.

I am ashamed to admit that as a scifi fan I have never seen 2001
redface.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #74 of 89
Bladerunner.

For deep science fiction, -Solaris- rules (the original Tarkovsky version, of course).

I thought 12 Monkeys was also very good.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #75 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, Gattaca really was a great film and almost never spoken of.

I am ashamed to admit that as a scifi fan I have never seen 2001
redface.gif

I too really loved Gattaca and I could have put it on the poll. I have seen it a few times now, and I feel that the visuals do not hold up very well. The story is complex and persuasive but if looks a bit dated to me. I could actually see a remake of this though I would be terrified that the studios would butcher it. I don't feel that Blade Runner or the Matrix looks dated at all. They both hold up so well, and kudos to Blade Runner for being so much the elder statesman here. As far as 2001 is concerned, well, isn't it obvious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back