POLL: BLADE RUNNER or THE MATRIX (original release)
Nov 10, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #17 of 89
The Matrix gets my vote.

I remember watching the MTV preview with Keanu and thinking...what the hell is this Matrix trash he is talking about (he was being very vague). It was the most requested movie on Moviefone for that weekend so I went to see it on the opening night...I was blown away. It was one of the more memorable movie experiences for me.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 89
Blade Runner gets my vote. I am not sentimentally attached to it, as I actually first saw it a few years after the Matrix, but to me it was the superior experience. Both of these films have resonant themes in them, and their deft analysis of those themes is what makes them classics. Blade Runner just has more to work with, and that makes it the better film.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 89
"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Blade Runner for me. It has more real emotion. Matrix is great as well. But "plastic"

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are, in my opinion, the two greatest science-fiction films of all time. I would normally add also, "2001: A Space Odyssey," but I think this film is in a category all of its own. Yes, I have not included Star Wars, I know. Please weigh in with your votes. Thanks.

Btw HAL i love your Avatar.

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #22 of 89
Blade Runner is pretty bland compared to The Matrix's good texture and depth that goes great lengths. The Matrix also has better crew, better artistic views and overall better performance. The only great pro for Runner is the music score and Ford. Both are good but The Matrix is superior (although isn't the best scifi movie).

ETA: I'm not saying the Matrix' score is worse than BR's but Vangelis has done serious job with it! Darn!

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #25 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ergh. I can't believe I woke up 7 hours later and saw "The Matrix" coming up from 8 to 20 votes. That's just so very very sad.

Sad? I personally felt BR very bland (as I said) ie not so defined as the Matrix is. NO question the Runner feels more realistic but the philosophical style of the Matrix makes it a top movie. You're making a strong gesture at opinions. Should I say I'm sad because you didn't do the right choice?
regular_smile .gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #26 of 89
The Matrix, no matter what...

I dont think you can make it better, the scene when they come in to the building to safe Morpheus, man, great shooting one, really breath taking... Another shooting scene I am totally crazy about it is from HEAT, when they come out of the bank and the whole thing starting...wow, powerful, not real, shocking, simply amazing, like this movie...And wait, how about the TRUE ROMANCE, yeah, holly shmolly...sorry guys, bit out of topic...

The Matrix, THE BEST, to me anyway...
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #27 of 89
My vote goes to Blade Runner. Although The Matrix is a fine film (discounting the sequels, which were aberrations), I find the general tone and mood, as well as the script itself to be inferior to Blade Runner. Plus, Blade Runner has one of the best death monologues of any film:

Quote:

Roy: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

[ Deckard falls, Roy catches him. ]

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

As a pure action flick, the Matrix is of course superior, however.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad? I personally felt BR very bland (as I said) ie not so defined as the Matrix is. NO question the Runner feels more realistic but the philosophical style of the Matrix makes it a top movie. You're making a strong gesture at opinions. Should I say I'm sad because you didn't do the right choice?
regular_smile .gif

The thing is, I love the Matrix as well. But IMHO it doesn't deserve any hype or "worshipping" at all. Why? It's nothing special. Even the Wachowski brothers said the movie was heavily influenced by Ghost In The Shell. When I first saw Ghost In The Shell, it was an amazing piece of artwork as well as storyline. When I saw the Matrix, however, I saw too many similarities of it to Ghost In The Shell as well as Akira. These are two of the best Animes ever made and the Wachowski Brothers blandly made the Matrix by mushing them up into something similar to a Pop song. You watch it, you enjoy it, you throw it away after a few times.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #29 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is, I love the Matrix as well. But IMHO it doesn't deserve any hype or "worshipping" at all. Why? It's nothing special. Even the Wachowski brothers said the movie was heavily influenced by Ghost In The Shell. When I first saw Ghost In The Shell, it was an amazing piece of artwork as well as storyline. When I saw the Matrix, however, I saw too many similarities of it to Ghost In The Shell as well as Akira. These are two of the best Animes ever made and the Wachowski Brothers blandly made the Matrix by mushing them up into something similar to a Pop song. You watch it, you enjoy it, you throw it away after a few times.

Okay. You may feel that way about the Matrix, but I personally find something new of it every time I watch it again. Unlike the general concensus, I also like the sequels in mythical and epical sense; seeing a kind of Odysseia Neo is doing in the trilogy makes it a very good experience by itself.
And I wouldn't trust what the filmmakers are saying about the movie. It is the result and how I perceive it that makes a movie either good or bad. Enough of it. I certainly understand what you're saying but it simply doesn't apply for me. .
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back