Poll: Allesandro MS-2i vs Grado SR 325i
May 20, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Why? Because they don't agree with you?
rolleyes.gif

Obviously there are differences if not why Grado come out the different models..
rolleyes.gif
My non can crazy friend who listen to both cans spot the differences immediately too..

May 20, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
The SR325i is alittle too bright for me... i also reckon the MS2i has a wider soundstage as compare to 325

As a matter of interest (to me) ... is the RS-1 less bright than the 325i? Now you've got me counting my money!!

Ian

May 20, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Obviously there are differences if not why Grado come out the different models..
rolleyes.gif
My non can crazy friend who listen to both cans spot the differences immediately too..

I never said there weren't differences. I was merely pointing out that to label someone's ears as defective because they don't hear the same things you do is arrogant. Besides, I thought you were being quite hypocritical by criticizing others for perhaps not spending enough time with the headphones when you only gave the 325i two hours of YOUR time. And really, if you're not sitting down with two broken in pairs of cans listening to the same source, amp, and material, then this is all extremely subjective anyway.

May 20, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

The SR325i is alittle too bright for me... i also reckon the MS2i has a wider soundstage as compare to 325

You reckon the MS2i also has a wider soundstage? Brightness not only gives the impression of more detail, but more soundstage as well.

May 21, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #37 of 47
This has puzzled me too since they both use the same pads and are the same distance from the ears except that the MS2 driver has been 'relaxed' whatever that means.

It would be nice if Alessandro came clean about the drivers and the differences. It is such a secret that it makes me suspicious!!

Ian

May 21, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
As a matter of interest (to me) ... is the RS-1 less bright than the 325i? Now you've got me counting my money!!

Ian

yup... u are right.. infact after i change to a tube amp.. it tone down the RS-1 brightness..

May 21, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

I never said there weren't differences. I was merely pointing out that to label someone's ears as defective because they don't hear the same things you do is arrogant. Besides, I thought you were being quite hypocritical by criticizing others for perhaps not spending enough time with the headphones when you only gave the 325i two hours of YOUR time. And really, if you're not sitting down with two broken in pairs of cans listening to the same source, amp, and material, then this is all extremely subjective anyway.

i did listen to both fully burned pair..Do i need to show any pics??
rolleyes.gif
Few of my friends did tried them out and gives the same comments.. both sound differences is so obvious at the first time... Is is so easy to pick up even using a lousy source..

May 21, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I wonder if all 33 voters have actually listened to the SR325i and the MS2i...
rolleyes.gif

That's why I just selected to view the poll results. Hopefully that is what everyone else that has no experience with either did
icon10.gif

May 21, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900
That's why I just selected to view the poll results. Hopefully that is what everyone else that has no experience with either did
icon10.gif

Because it's just so darn much fun; I have read and re-read tons of stuff on all-things Grado and Alessandro.

One thing I "think" I've learned about the difference between the SR-325 and the MS2i is that folks either love or hate the sound of the SR-325. The MS2i on the other hand elisits a much more subdued responce. Most folks either like it a whole lot, or at least can tolerate its' shortcomings.

Seems as though the SR-325 is coveted by the few who are drawn to its' sonic characteristics, while the MS2i is suited to a larger listening audiance.

A simplistic view; perhaps.

May 21, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

i did listen to both fully burned pair..Do i need to show any pics??
rolleyes.gif
Few of my friends did tried them out and gives the same comments.. both sound differences is so obvious at the first time... Is is so easy to pick up even using a lousy source..

Whatever. Since you're either missing my points or ignoring what I'm trying to say there's no use in flogging a dead horse any further.

May 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #43 of 47
I haven't heard the MS2i, so I can't speak to it's sound, but as an owner of the 325i, I am puzzled by the consensus on this board that these cans have an overly bright sound. As has been noted by several others in various threads, characteristics such as brightness are often source and amp dependent, and should not be attributed solely to a set of cans. That said, my setup (Cambridge Audio 640c--->Audioquest Cobra--->Gilmore Lite--->SR-325i) sounds good to my ears. The highs are clear, but not overly present, the midrange is quite forward (which is great for jazz and rock), and the bass is tight and controlled. As compared to my DT 880s (old version), the 325i has considerably less soundstage, but is far and away my favorite for small ensemble jazz and any kind of rock. I think these cans get a bad rap on head-fi, but I'm okay with that, as it keeps their price down.

May 21, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Whatever. Since you're either missing my points or ignoring what I'm trying to say there's no use in flogging a dead horse any further.

There may be a basic tonal difference, but in soundstage (or lack of!) and presentation of detail, I think it gets a bit more complex than a quick listen.

Maybe I have a funny shaped set of ears or something, but the 325i goes deep and sounds rounded with a real sparkle at the top. If the sparkle was taken away, I'm not sure that I'd be as keen on them.

I tend to play at low volume so maybe this has a bearing on how these phones are perceived. If you turn music up loud, then it'll go through your head, but it's got to be very loud to do that.

It's one of the headphones that really produce a string tone imo.

Ian

May 21, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #45 of 47
I too got myself some SR325i's despite of the bad rep and find myself enjoying them very much.

I'm alternating between the HF-1 and 325i and I think the 325i are pointing out the shortcomings of the HF-1. Although the overall balance is definitely a bit on the treble side compared to HF-1, I think the sound is more coherent and liquid on the 325i.

HF-1 seems to have a very lightweight midrange, giving it a somewhat airy character, but it doesn't sound coherent with the rest of the spectrum. I noticed the same when I compared the HF-1 to RS-2, with the RS-2 being more coherent and balanced can.

The SR325i does sound a bit stringent on some bright recordings, but most of my cd's are just fine with them. I believe it would be possible to tame the cans a bit with a mellower source. Changing pads definitely takes some bite outta them, but even the 414-pads take away some of the magic, not to even mention flats.

Oh and Ian, it's nice to notice we are travelling a very similar path!
biggrin.gif
Would it surprise you if I told you that I'm toying with the idea of adding a wooden grado to my collection as a complimentary pair to the 325i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back