Poll: Allesandro MS-2i vs Grado SR 325i
May 19, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I think the 325i may be a much better headphone than it is given credit for. Probably most people don't use an amp that has the right senergy for this headphone, and thus it gets a bad rap.

- augustwest

Exactly how I feel. The 325i reacts more strongly to pads too. I have MS1, sr60, and 225 and of all of them, the 325i seems to have been 'tuned' to the bowls better than the others.

Recently, I've resorted to Senn 414 pads and quite honestly, they are brilliant. Mellow and punchy. They are extremely comfortable and I wear them more often than the Senn 650's.

I go via a Graham Slee Solo and they just don't sound harsh to me. Beautifully open. Volume levels seem to have a lot to do with it and creeping it up gets to a point where they focus and sound so realistic (especially with spoken voice), it can be scary!!

I get the feeling that with MS2i, I would have to keep the bowls on.

Ian

May 19, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #17 of 47
I used to have a pair of SR325i (sold off now) and I didn't find them that bright at all. Yes, they were brighter than both my K701, HD650 and Etymotics, but for certain genres such as rock/electric guitar (eg Dire Straits), the brightness was extremely desirable. The bass was also rock solid. Midrange was detailed and lively. Only for certain genres (eg some J-pop and various classical recordings) did they sound too bright. I haven't heard the MS-2i, so I'll refrain from voting.

May 19, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Exactly how I feel. The 325i reacts more strongly to pads too. I have MS1, sr60, and 225 and of all of them, the 325i seems to have been 'tuned' to the bowls better than the others.

I completely agree with this statement. Bowls sounded the best: tight resonant bass, effortless highs, lively mids. The TTVJ flats made them sound too bassy and the overall listening experience was quite bad. I've also tried the HD414 (yellow) pads, but I still preferred the bowls.

May 19, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #19 of 47
You need to vote to see the results
frown.gif

I'm one of those who don't find the SR overly bright.

May 19, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
You need to vote to see the results
frown.gif

I'm one of those who don't find the SR overly bright.

There should be a View Poll Results at the lower right side of poll

Right now its

Alessandro MS-2i 20 60.61%
Grado SR 325i 9 27.27%
Equal - choose on aesthetics 4 12.12%
Voters: 33.

May 19, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I wonder if all 33 voters have actually listened to the SR325i and the MS2i...
rolleyes.gif

I always wonder that when I see these polls. Perhaps the poller should stipulate that you should actually have heard both to vote, if that's indeed what is wanted.

edit: duh, and there it is: "I'd like to see a poll of those who have listened to both."

May 19, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
I always wonder that when I see these polls. Perhaps the poller should stipulate that you should actually have heard both to vote, if that's indeed what is wanted.

edit: duh, and there it is: "I'd like to see a poll of those who have listened to both."

Is there anyway we can make this poll "open/public"? That way, we can grill each an every voter
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

May 19, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

I think the 325i may be a much better headphone than it is given credit for. Probably most people don't use an amp that has the right senergy for this headphone, and thus it gets a bad rap.

- augustwest

Exactly how I feel.

they should have called it 425 or 525. Dissociated it from 325, cuz i feel the same way as above (and i've heard 225, 325, 325i, ms-2, ms-2i at home for at least a week each)

May 19, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 47
The problem with this vote is the most likely scenario is people voting based on what they READ.

This happens too often on Headfi and rumours and quips become reality in peoples' minds.

Everyone rattles off the best this and the best that, without having heard this and that.

That's why Headfi costs everyone so much money .........

Once it is decided that the MS2i is the better headphone and it is more mellow (based on what people have read), then that will be the reality as far as this site goes.

Pifff .... there goes a gasket.

Ian

May 20, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

The problem with this vote is the most likely scenario is people voting based on what they READ.

This happens too often on Headfi and rumours and quips become reality in peoples' minds.

Everyone rattles off the best this and the best that, without having heard this and that.

That's why Headfi costs everyone so much money .........

Once it is decided that the MS2i is the better headphone and it is more mellow (based on what people have read), then that will be the reality as far as this site goes.

Pifff .... there goes a gasket.

Ian

Agreed: this is a real problem.

The problem gets even more acute when something like the the MS-2 is involved.

Other than buying a set, there's really no way to audition them.

About the only thing in this situation a person can do is read.......

read......

read.

Thankfully we have the forum search function to fall back on. It's not a foolproof situation, but it helps!

And yup; it's hard to read a thread and not respond with an opinion based on what has been read, rather than what has been heard!

EDIT: Nope, I didn't vote!

May 20, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #27 of 47
I have the MS2i and i heard the SR325i for 2 hrs.. IMHO MS2i is the better lot..

Those that vote they are the same confirmed they didn't listen to any of the phone or it is too brief or something is wrong with their pair of ears.
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
I have the MS2i and i heard the SR325i for 2 hrs.. IMHO MS2i is the better lot..

Those that vote they are the same confirmed they didn't listen to any of the phone or it is too brief or something is wrong with their pair of ears.
rolleyes.gif

2 hours is not a lot of time. We're talking 2 or 3 CDs here .....

If it's better by a lot, can you say exactly what it is that's better? You could be costing me money here .......
tongue.gif

Ian

May 20, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
rolleyes.gif

Why? Because they don't agree with you?
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

2 hours is not a lot of time. We're talking 2 or 3 CDs here .....

If it's better by a lot, can you say exactly what it is that's better? You could be costing me money here .......
tongue.gif

Ian

The SR325i is alittle too bright for me... i also reckon the MS2i has a wider soundstage as compare to 325

Users who are viewing this thread

Back