Poll: Allesandro MS-2i vs Grado SR 325i
May 19, 2006 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

dnl

New Head-Fier
I was interested in trying some nicer Grado's after spending more time listening to the SR 60's. Most will describe the MS-2i or SR 325i as a good middle point in the Grado line giving a good performance/price ratio that should quell upgraditus for awhile.

After reading the post it appears there is some difference of opinion as to which is best. I'd like to see a poll of those who have listened to both.

Feel free to add descriptions but don't forget to vote!

dnl

May 19, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnl
... that should quell upgraditus for awhile.

dnl

You have already lost. Upgraditis has already won.

May 19, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
You have already lost. Upgraditis has already won.

I fear it is terminal

Looks like the MS-2i is winning. From what I've read the i was added as it uses the same tooling as the SR 325i. Why should they sound different if the resulting enclosures are the same? Are the drivers different?

dnl

May 19, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnl
I fear it is terminal

Looks like the MS-2i is winning. From what I've read the i was added as it uses the same tooling as the SR 325i. Why should they sound different if the resulting enclosures are the same? Are the drivers different?

dnl

Yup; the drivers are different from Grado to Alessandro.

The change from classic to "i" came about when some folks were complaining that there was not enough improvement from the SR-225 to the SR-325 to warant an upgrade; so the Grado model went through some changes to make it better. The MS-2 to MS-2i was onlydue to the change in the housing configuration. In the good ol' days, the "i" model Alessandro was sometimes called the "Fatboy" due to the new look.

May 19, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 47
The MS2 i has a black coating on the driver.. susposely to tamed down the brightness... They are more neutral sounding as compare to 325i which sound very bright to me.

May 19, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 47
How would you describe the differences in the mids/lows between the two.

Those who prefer 325i:
Do you like brighter sounding phones?
Why do you think they're better?

dnl

May 19, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 47
I wouldn't have thought that there are that many people that want to buy both, so we are unable to compare.

I have the 325i and love its sound. One thing though, if the 325i is too bright for some, it can be tamed with Senn 414 (with/without mod), Comfies (with/without mod) Todd flats, bowls. Personally, I don't find it as bright as suggested in these forums.

There is a choice of sound available if the sound is brighter in the first place. Maybe not so with the MS2i if it is already tamed and tuned to bowls, which some people don't like.

Ian

May 19, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 47
I voted for the MS2i, I used to own one. Thought it was the best Grado value for the dollar spent, and still do. That said, this last weekend I spent some time with the 325i / RA1 combo. It sounded great! There was no hint of the 325i's being too bright, or harsh. I think the 325i may be a much better headphone than it is given credit for. Probably most people don't use an amp that has the right senergy for this headphone, and thus it gets a bad rap.

- augustwest

May 19, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 47
well i can't speak for the 325i, but i upgraded from an SR125 to an MS-2i. what i can say is that the MS-2i is still nice and sparkly at the top, but not insanely so like the 125 (w/o the tape mod). After sometime, the 125 highs feel like knives stabbing at your ears. the tape mod greatly helped attenuate them and brought out the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back