[poll] 2010 - 2011 UEFA Champions League!
May 25, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #46 of 89
I hope they do start with Park

May 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #47 of 89
That's one of the very few decent games he has played in the past 3 years. He was bemused himself- he didn't know how to celebrate when he scored, as it'd been so long since he had!

I've seen united play way way too much for 10 years. All my family are avid fans, and yea, you mention park. Probably instead of scholes he'll start. But barca's team is the standard one- don't need to change much.

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #48 of 89
I didn't watch that many unted matches this year, so I can't really get to Ferguson head with his line-ups. I mean he keeps playing giggs in the middle, what about fletcher?? I hated fletcher when he started as right midfielder but then he started doing good in the middle... now It's carrick-giggs-anderson... Against barça giggs is a zero in the middle.

Quote:
That's one of the very few decent games he has played in the past 3 years. He was bemused himself- he didn't know how to celebrate when he scored, as it'd been so long since he had!

I've seen united play way way too much for 10 years. All my family are avid fans, and yea, you mention park. Probably instead of scholes he'll start. But barca's team is the standard one- don't need to change much.

May 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #49 of 89
Fletcher's been injured quite a bit this season, so carrick has had more chances than he deserved.

And I expected the media row over giggs to be bigger than what it is, so he seems unaffected. He'll play. Nani and park are likely to make up the other two slots. It's just that fergies tactic seems to be to go with experience.

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #50 of 89
The line with Fletcher is he's had a virus, but no more details than that and its kept him out half the season. Odd. He doesn't look fit which is a shame for United as I'm sure Fergie would love to have his energy in the middle of the pitch.

Carrick has looked awful for ages, but he'll probably start.

I guess United will go with VDS, Fabio, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Giggs, Park, Valenica, Rooney, Hernandez. 

Fabio could be Rafeal (I still can't work out which is the better one) Valenica could be over looked for Nani but I think that would be a mistake. Valencia can be relied on to put in good crosses for Hernandez or Rooney all day, Nani might be more of a goal threat and more unpredictable but he's frustratingly wasteful.

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #51 of 89
Yea, I think it was glandular fever. It happens to tennis players sometimes, and they miss normally around 2/3 months. I remember roger federer had this around the australian open 2008. He blamed it for him being knocked out in the semi's!

I still think nani will start, just as he has a bit more experience. Definately more wasteful- goes for glory.

But united will try to not let messi be seen in a normal TV camera shot. i.e. completely surrounded by 3 united players.

May 25, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #52 of 89
You're probably right that he'll go with Nani as he can always pull a blinding bit of skill or great shot from nowhere. Problem is he'll spend the rest of the game making wild speculative long range shots when there are much better options, going on pointless mazy runs into dead ends, missing the opportunity to place a perfect pass or cross and losing possession. I think they'd have more luck using Valencia with a simple brief to put in crosses for Hernandez all day long, then bring on Nani as an impact sub if its needed later on.

Think they'll use a sort of 4, 2, 3, 1 when in possession merging into a 4,5,1 with Rooney dropping back into midfield when Barce have possession (let's face it - that'll likely be most of the game).

May 25, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #53 of 89
You have such a prudent view on the game. Nani loses lots of balls, tries impossible shots and runs, but the thing is overal he has better number than valencia.
I would go with Nani at any time, because you need someone to make that impossible shot and score sometimes, plus Nani also help the team defend too.
I think Man utd won't try with hernandez and rooney at the same time. it will be only one man upfront, or else rooney would have to run a lot in the midfield, which I am aware rooney can do it, as he is unique. I mean he can be man utd pepe, but still being freat forward.

Quote:
You're probably right that he'll go with Nani as he can always pull a blinding bit of skill or great shot from nowhere. Problem is he'll spend the rest of the game making wild speculative long range shots when there are much better options, going on pointless mazy runs into dead ends, missing the opportunity to place a perfect pass or cross and losing possession. I think they'd have more luck using Valencia with a simple brief to put in crosses for Hernandez all day long, then bring on Nani as an impact sub if its needed later on.

Think they'll use a sort of 4, 2, 3, 1 when in possession merging into a 4,5,1 with Rooney dropping back into midfield when Barce have possession (let's face it - that'll likely be most of the game).

May 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #54 of 89
I see the logic in playing Nani, as you say, he can always pop up and do something that changes the game. Just the number of time you see him dribble on by completely oblivious to perfect opportunities to place a through ball and turn an opportunity into a waste frustrates me.

Nani has a better number of what than Valencia? Goals of course but successful crosses? I doubt it. When you have a poacher like Hernandez in the box, surely the No.1 plan of action is to feed him great balls at every opportunity and let him finish them? No ones going to argue that Hernandez is a bigger goal threat than Nani so Uniteds best chance will be built around making sure he has the chances he needs.

But playing Nani would not be a disaster - he could always pull of the bit of idividual skill that wins it, so I get the logic behind persevering with him.

Rooney has come back into his best in a playmaker role behind Hernandez, and he will always come back into mid feild (and sometimes ends up in his own box) to defend when the other team have possession whatever the formation. I don't see that game plan changing for the final.

Hernandez will be up front and Rooney behind him as the centre player in the three of a 4,2,3,1 which converts to a 4,5,1 to defend.

May 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #56 of 89
I can see rooney doing that role just like you say and he has the balls and skills to do it.
Let's see if ferguson will have the balls to do so. (is it right to use this term in a forum?).
Another point to how this can be perfectly done is the way Park works hard and can perfectly help also in the middle. Nani also works so United has plenty of man to avoid the sleepy tique-taca.
I think park will definetly play to stop daniel alves, as he is the best man for the job. On the right United will have to Risk with Nani, though Valencia is not bad.
For me the weekest point for MAN UTD is the holding midfielder position. The most defensive one. I don't see carrick powerful enough to be running against Messi or Iniesta.

Quote:
I see the logic in playing Nani, as you say, he can always pop up and do something that changes the game. Just the number of time you see him dribble on by completely oblivious to perfect opportunities to place a through ball and turn an opportunity into a waste frustrates me.

Nani has a better number of what than Valencia? Goals of course but successful crosses? I doubt it. When you have a poacher like Hernandez in the box, surely the No.1 plan of action is to feed him great balls at every opportunity and let him finish them? No ones going to argue that Hernandez is a bigger goal threat than Nani so Uniteds best chance will be built around making sure he has the chances he needs.

But playing Nani would not be a disaster - he could always pull of the bit of idividual skill that wins it, so I get the logic behind persevering with him.

Rooney has come back into his best in a playmaker role behind Hernandez, and he will always come back into mid feild (and sometimes ends up in his own box) to defend when the other team have possession whatever the formation. I don't see that game plan changing for the final.

Hernandez will be up front and Rooney behind him as the centre player in the three of a 4,2,3,1 which converts to a 4,5,1 to defend.

May 26, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #57 of 89
You're right. I think Carrick has steadily got worse and is in no way a holding midfielder. He just casually drifts around waiting to be pased the ball and try and make an impressive pass, at least he used to pull them off, these days he mostly messes it up and concedes possession.

Fletcher would be the man for the job, but isn't fit, although actually Park can do this as well.

While Park is pretty handy going forward, it might be best to use him in the centre to hassle Xavi and Iniesta and break their game up, this would then allow both Nani and Valencia to play, and offer more creative freedom to Giggs and Rooney. Valencia on the right for his crossing and Nani would be on the left then, so would have Alves to deal with. Yes, Park would do a better job of dealing with Alves, but Park would not cause Alves as many problems in attack as Nani could...

So a possible good set up could be:

Hernandez
Nani Rooney Valencia
Giggs Park
Evra Vidic Ferdinand DaSilva
Van der Sar

May 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #58 of 89

Quote:
OMG its tomorrow!

what are you talking about the game is 50 hours from now 
biggrin.gif
 Oh! the excitement

May 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #59 of 89
Depending on your time zone I think it could be tomorrow by the calendar at this point I think?

I'm getting hyped for it already. Not sure whether to

a) set up projector at my place and watch with house mates and local mates
b) go over to my girlfriends part of town (you can see new wembly from her window) find a pub with her housemates nearby and soak up the atmosphere
c) visit some old friends in Wales and watch it with them.

Which ever way, some beer is going to be involved!

May 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #60 of 89
well the largest time difference would be 24 hours and that is we are next to the line on opposite sides, Im guessing he's in Asia and 16 hours ahead of me(?) but this is not geography class, this is war!

I really hope rooney doesnt pull out another hooligan on saturday, he's quite a terrorist in the field. back when he was younger it was usual for him to get a red card in the most intense matches

chose wisely Eddie! my only option is out with 5 friends (all barca supporters...) or alone he!

- Jorge, 26/may/2011; 10:00 am 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back