Polk Audio Ultrafit 1000 Review/First Impressions
Oct 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theOmni

Head-Fier
Hello guys. First time posting. I bought these headphones for $70 from Newegg ($76 with tax and shipping), and just got them today. Here is my review for them:

Pros:

Very durable. Once it clips on, it will not let go of your ears. It doesn't act like a stethoscope when you are running, as in when the wires get whipped around, the sound doesn't travel through.

Cons:
I've heard $15 headphones that sound better than this. The sound is quite "hollow", as in there is a lot of white noise. It sounds as if the artist is standing 10 to 15 feet away from the mic. The instrumentals and voices are going through, however it doesn't seem to saturate the headphones. 

I thought it may have been the specific MP3 I was playing, so I used many other songs I had bought from iTunes and it again had the "hollow" sound. I thought it was my device, so I used a different kind, and no improvement to the sound. I even used a blu-ray disc from my laptop and the sound through these headphones gave it no justice.

These headphones are also horrible for a gym. My local gym is only moderately noisy and even then, I had a hard time listening to my music over the hum of nearby treadmills and thuds of the feet running on them. In fact,  I could hear the gym's music too. 

Conclusions:

These headphones are not worth $70. You can buy a pair of Phillips for $15 that will perform much better than this and at the same time, will clip on to your ear without falling. I don't understand where the $70 price tag came from. The 500 model is the same exact thing as this 1000, but the 1000 just has a mic. The mic costs an additional $20?
And I'm assuming in order to get a good music experience, one would have to buy the $100 model. 

I bought these from Polk Audio with high expectations. All my speakers in my home theater system are from Polk and I have nothing but praise for them in that area, however these headphones have been a disappointment. It consists of slightly modified technology, such as the ear clip, that adds no benefit, and is priced at $70. Those $10 clip-on headphones from sony will also stay on, while giving you a better music experience. 

Save your money and look elsewhere for headphones.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I realized I may have been a bit harsh with this review. I'm doing a burn in on the headphones so I will see if there is any change in 24 hours, and then again in 48 to 72 hours before returning them. 
One thing that bothers me is how low the volume is. Even when my phone is turned up to the max, I have a hard time hearing my music while at the gym. Will the burn in fix that too?

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Agreed, theOmni, the Philips headphones available online for 5-to-11 dollars are higher volume, deeper bass, greater presence. I in fact have the Polk 3000's, and have been perpetually disappointed with them compared to the tried-and-true over-the-ear behind-the-ear in-the-ear Philips.

Other comments elsewhere on the net are correct, with the different in-ear fittings the sound can be made better, particularly the bass improves, however the volume always seems too low, and again it is never up to the standard set by the humble Philips SHS3200.

Such sensitivity to in-ear position also means the slightest movement inside the ear renders the sound completely different, and plenty of outdoor and athletic motion is supposed to be the entire point of these headphones is it not. Physically pressing the sides of the headphones in the ear actually produces significantly more bass and presence, suggesting the bass depends upon contact and vibration against the inside of the ear itself.

Mine are still under a month old, however I have used them a lot, so if there is such a thing as burn-in for headphones (the debate rages on) it probably should have happened for these by now. To compare yet again, mainly because of being 1/15th the price, the SHS3200's get out of the box, in the ears, and are perfect from the first second of playing onward, quality lasting as long as a year (and even more) with extensive usage.

The one and only reason I might keep the Polk 3000's is because sometimes I use headphones for a long stretch, and the SHS3200's inside the ear are quite large, with the Polk's I can use the smaller attachments and even though the sound suffers, the comfort compensates somewhat.

Currently I am trying to figure out how to get the microphone to work with my laptop's single-input audio jack. That might raise the value of the new headphones as well, though the internal laptop mic is adequate.

At their absolute best, the $100 Polk's never sound as good as the $6 Philips. Bottom line.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 4
theOmni, have you tried the different ear fittings? The right size makes a big difference with sound isolation and sound quality. If I decide to keep mine, the molding ones should in fact be the way to go, the snuggest fit possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back