Policy on closing threads
Mar 31, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #46 of 89
"Sucks being held accountable for your actions huh?"

MichaelFranks hits a bull’s eye!

PF’s attitude and statements spoke volumes. Blaming it on being drunk is another childish excuse. Now it seems he’s trying to obfuscate the issue? Maybe the smart thing to do is be quiet and let things die down and go away? The more you post the deeper the hole you dig for yourself.

Mitch

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #47 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
It's ok Fiddler I read it before you had the opportunity to edit it and you are very misinformed indeed and you even suggest what I was "thinking"

Ah.... the power of the edit button :)

I don't care to continue this here, YGPM.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #48 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
If you said it someones face in real life you could not go back and hit the "edit' button

it is said and can not be taken back

did i ever regret saying something ?

was i ever over the top

Have i ever hurt someones feelings ?

Damn right i have !

And a good feeling it is not

especially when the offense is there for the "world" to see and upon reflection iu make my also "worldwide" public apology

i never sugar coat and when i use poor judgement i stand by the act it being my transgression and no one elses

i make my apologies which were either accepted or not but the original statement stands it having been made

people make mistakes ,it happens

but standing up and taking the heat is part of life man

I never try to justify a willing mistake but take my beatin' and move on

I am sure during some of my "outbursts' i lose the respect of some members

Fine

that mewans i work all the harder to regain it

respect is not something that can be purchased but must be earned

Rickcr42 MEMBER (not moderator)

You get me wrong Rick. I agree with everything you are saying but if I tell you to p*ss off in real life it's between you and I and it's up to me to either leave it at that or apologise after I've cooled down.

With head-fi it's a different ball game. If I tell you to p*ss off here then the bandwagon brigade enter and "side" with who they want even though it's got nothing to do with them whatsoever. I received many PM's with messages of support...... I don't want "support" I'd just rather people butt out of things that have got nothing to do with them and let the 2 parties sort things out themselves.

It's the pack mentality of this place that sometimes infuriates me and if you read some of the comments you'll see that some of the people don't even know what the thread is about, they just jump in taking sides.

That type of thing can't be moderated as it's human nature on these forums but it annoys me when people comment on something just to be "seen" to be on the "right" side.. like a clan all sticking together. It does no good whatsoever.

I don't know what all this stuff is about your disappearing post rick so I won't even attempt to comment on it as I know nothing about it.

Pinkie.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #49 of 89
Like any board, there are extremely competent moderators who are a joy to observe in action, and there are also those who I think have no business being a moderator. Since they are appointed it's something you live with. Sometimes it annoys me but it's only a board after all. I'm sure that if something they do really starts to get well beyond what's acceptable, Jude (or maybe the other moderators... although maybe not) will step in. Otherwise I don't really see a huge problem and I don't really see a huge point in arguing about it.

Having said that I believe that there are certain lines that you shouldn't cross as a moderator, even if on Head-Fi the moderator-member lines are fairly blurred and things are all the better for it. There will probably always be plenty of other regular members to state what you (as a moderator) wanted to say.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #51 of 89
I once posted in a thread that got deleted as I was posting in it. That was wierd. I saw my post, and I read it and the ones above it, went to the forum and the thread was gone
confused.gif

I haven't had any issues with mods closing threads.

I've been forced to live with a bad post, not by closing the thread, but by being quoted in it. I got very upset at the time, and it was a hard lesson to learn. But, I know now to be more careful about what I post.

In fact, this is the third time I've started a post in this thread, and the only time I will actually hit the submit button.

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #52 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
Isn't it possible when someone wrote something he/she wants to edit but the thread is locked to ask if a mod edits it for you?

Depends if the moderator is on your "side" is the simple answer to that one Lisa. I asked and was told "no"

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #53 of 89
Quote:

There will probably always be plenty of other regular members to state what you (as a moderator) wanted to say.

so i being a moderator at times but a member all the time should let others talk for me ?

Not in this lifetime !

'i guess there is one vote for see ya later rick"

Pink ,i have no issues with you man as you know.

we have talked a couple of times and never have we had issues.

and any statements here on this topic are not specically directed at any individual but some of the things being said can not be allowed to stand without the counter.

Questions are asked and can not be "out there" without the converstion going in circles.

You can wonder about the what and why but not know

Well i am taking it upon myself to "enlighten" ye

no i will not stand on the sidelines and let someone else make a point i think needs making

i am a big boy and will speak for myself , even if it is not the most brilliant move

And again

if the majority , hell even more than a couple of members think i overstep then speak up now !

I will be a moderator no more by this afternoon if that is the wish of the members here

that is MY WORD an I WILLl stand by it

but once the gloves are off and i have the same "rights" as a common member of head-fi........................
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #54 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
"Sucks being held accountable for your actions huh?"

MichaelFranks hits a bull’s eye!

PF’s attitude and statements spoke volumes. Blaming it on being drunk is another childish excuse. Now it seems he’s trying to obfuscate the issue? Maybe the smart thing to do is be quiet and let things die down and go away? The more you post the deeper the hole you dig for yourself.

Mitch

I'm not in a hole Mitch. I apologised in private to the person I insulted and it was accepted in the same genuine way it was given.

I have no intention of being quiet and am about to post something in the amplifier section that's to do with Music.

As I said to someone else.... if my swearwords and references to Germans offended you then it's your perogative to think of me as you will...... that's your call. It's not your position to advise me how, when or where I post however. Thanks for your advice but I make my own decisions in life even though sometimes they are bad decisions.

Pinkie.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #55 of 89
Quote:

Depends if the moderator is on your "side" is the simple answer to that one Lisa

c'mon pinkster

it is not about "sides" and you know it

If the mods ever play favorites with the membership then they don't deserve the priveledge of being a moderator

and i can tell you it flat out does not happen

The fact that they maybe cut me some slack on occasion is only because i am a fellow moderator and they don't quite know what to do with me yet
biggrin.gif

****edit******

forgot to add

MEMBER RICKMEISTER , NOT THE OTHER GUY

Rickmonsterator

wink.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #56 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
c'mon pinkster

it is not about "sides" and you know it

If the mods ever play favorites with the membership then they don't deserve the priveledge of being a moderator

and i can tell you it flat out does not happen

The fact that they maybe cut me some slack on occasion is only because i am a fellow moderator and they don't quite know what to do with me yet
biggrin.gif

Rick, you and I get on very well and I haven't got an issue with you or "any" of the moderators. I'll PM you my request to a moderator who hasn't replied in 3 days ok? This same moderator was firmly with the wagon if you catch my drift
wink.gif

Please don't mention it but I'll prove I asked.

Pinkie.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #57 of 89
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Depends if the moderator is on your "side" is the simple answer to that one Lisa. I asked and was told "no"

I think that is not right. A mod should stay neutral about things when it comes to mod functions IMO. He could always edit your post and tell that this is done on your request.
I'd like to think every user would have this right. God knows what stupid things I am gonna say in future.

Just read rick's respons.
Are you saying that when a thread is closed and a user wants a post edited for whatever reason that the mods won't do that? EVER? I would think a request like that is pretty normal and, unless there is a very good reason, should be granted.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #58 of 89
Just a quick word of support for the mods here
biggrin.gif
They may have their flaws, but they are miles ahead of any other mods I've seen in other forums. For volunteers running what is theoretically a dictatorship they are doing amazingly well. You should have seen the admin of stardestroyer.net, who basically permanent-banned me for disagreeing with his make-believe theory of the operating principles of Star Wars turbolasers.
blink.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
It was entirely within his right as dictator of the board too.
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #59 of 89
Quote:

Are you saying that when a thread is closed and a user wants a post edited for whatever reason that the mods won't do that? EVER? I would think a request like that is pretty normal and, unless there is a very good reason, should be granted.

no misinformation ,bad links ,honest mistakes

these things can and are taken into consideration-discussed-and when a consensus is reached the party in question notified

But just saying something dumb is usually not something that can be edited if it becomes a point of discussion over many posts.

What kind of sense would a response to a post make if the post itself were to go away ?

someone stumbling in here for the first time would look at the thread and be totally baffled as to what he/she had just read-it making no sense to have people get worked up over nothing

when it comes to offcolor language the mods will usually take care of the editing but we know where that went the last time !

We can not please all so we attempt to do what we think is fair to everyone

In the process some are bound to feel slighted

Might even be a good thing to know who can and can not be pushed into a war of words .

who should not be pressed

who is easy going and who is wound up (GUILTY !)

we only have our post history to judge each other on and as imperfect as it is it is the best guage available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back