Police Scanner Fi?
Feb 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

malldian

Headphoneus Supremus
So I am interested in trying to find out what is exactly going on in the local police departments in my area. I did some reading and found that you can access the police broadcasting but I am unsure how to go about it. Any ideas? I am up for some DIY and would like to go on a budget.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 19
Years ago you could do that. (my parents had such radio. It was amusing at the times to hear what cops were doing and reporting, they were funny especially when drunkards were involved) But I think nowadays, at least in some places where the radio system is upgraded, you cant. Or you can possibly, but they see who is listening and where, and can close of transmission to unknown 3rd parties remotely AFAIK. This is how it is in Finland if I understood correctly.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 19
you can do it online (search google) there are streaming websites where you can pick the area/locale, i listen in every night to american pd's, airports etc, and i am in the UK

i use my archos 7 which has an inbuilt preset of dozens of police scanner channels, i am connected within a few seconds, its like youtube for live scanner feeds!! heaven.

i am such a voyeur!!! heh.

i cant listen into the uks services anymore, as they went digital encrypted
frown.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can do it online (search google) there are streaming websites where you can pick the area/locale, i listen in every night to american pd's, airports etc, and i am in the UK

i use my archos 7 which has an inbuilt preset of dozens of police scanner channels, i am connected within a few seconds, its like youtube for live scanner feeds!! heaven.

i am such a voyeur!!! heh.

i cant listen into the uks services anymore, as they went digital encrypted
frown.gif

Nice. I will give that a shot.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Visit a local Radio Shack, (Flemington or Clinton?) they'll have the gear and know what frequencies local law enforcement uses.

I know what frequencies they use (found online) but am hoping that there is a cheaper option than the $500 I have been finding. Currently I am in Gettysburg and I seriously doubt the Radioshack people around here would be of any help. I will look into the streaming option right now... is there the possibility that you can listen to certain frequencies via computer?

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 19
First thing you need to find out is whether your Police use digital or not, if not you're able to go the cheaper route. Best place to find out is RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and use their database or hit the forums and find your local section to find the info you need.

The database will provide the frequencies you need to input into the scanner to receive transmissions. If your area is digital, it's more complicated and is different depending on the scanner you chose.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 19
Yes, it depends if your police force uses digital or analog. You can pick up either, but you have to have the right gear. If you have an amateur radio club nearby, ask them. They will absolutely know and will be able to stwleer you towards the right gear.

Unfortunately, DIY isn't much of an option here. If you want to fool with radio, however, I strongly encourage you to find an old "boatanchor" to work on. Those are tubed communications receivers made from the late 1930s through the early 1960s. Parts and tubes are much cheaper than hi-fi stuff, they have superb build quality, and you'll be able to tune in shortwave, amateur broadcasts and much else. With all the tubes, they sure sound good, too. Look at units from Hallicrafters, National, Hammarlund, Drake, and Collins.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 19
The sheriff dept here in my Parish (what you would call a 'County'.. I live in Louisiana) uses a digital encryption system. However, the local PD and the state police are still on analog systems. I scan pretty frequently. I used to have a few high end radio, but I recently sold them all. My favorite was my Icom R-8000. Just sold it for about $3k on ebay a few months ago.

If anyone is interested, I still own what is considered one of the best handheld scanners ever produced, the AOR AR-8000. I'd be willing to let it go for the right price.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 19
Another option if you want to listen to digital trunked systems is you get a commercial radio (ie : Motorola XTS3000 or Astro Saber) that supports P25 Digital and have it programed for your desired frequencies (transmit inhibited, of course). Not a cheap solution but the hardware is more robust that Radio Shack stuff and the sound quality MUCH better. However getting the required software to program the radio and having the required features on the radio enabled is NOT cheap so the usual recommendation is to buy a scanner made for the purpose. Any of the digital Uniden models will work. Unless your local PD using encryption, that is.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 19
I think I just found a new hobby
biggrin.gif

This isn't going to be cheap...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back