PMB 85 Double Action
Feb 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 20
It's hard to say - I think I've only seen one other set mentioned on head-fi, and I don't know what was paid for it.

A regular QP-85 in good working condition is probably around $100. But it's not rare like the double action.

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 20
difficult to say, as they are quite rare, and i dont know of any other owners besides myself; but i got mine for around $60.

i think they would be equal to something like a jecklin float model 2, so anywhere below $100 would be fine i guess... unless you are a collector, and really need them in your collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 20
Are you selling them or trying to buy them and looking for an estimate? If the former, can I buy them for $100? Pretty please?

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #5 of 20
Thank you, all!
I bought the PM85DA for under $100 and directly sent them off to GermanMaestro for a check/repair/whatever!
Looking forward to getting them back and using them with my Rotel RX1203.
Sorry Ishcabible; not for sale!
cheers

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sas0662 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, all!
I bought the PM85DA for under $100 and directly sent them off to GermanMaestro for a check/repair/whatever!
Looking forward to getting them back and using them with my Rotel RX1203.
cheers

beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 20
Aww.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 20
congratulations on getting hold of a very rare headphone; next up is finding bigfoot and some hens teeth
wink.gif

i tried out my pair the other day, and found out that my old listening impressions were completely wrong, so don´t listen to anything i have previously written about them
redface.gif

to keep it short: they sounded pretty bassy and dark, but the soundstage was huge and speaker like.
quite enjoyable, but maybe a bit to boomy.

looking forward to reading your impressions... because you do have to write some!
devil_face.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to keep it short: they sounded pretty bassy and dark, but the soundstage was huge and speaker like.
quite enjoyable, but maybe a bit to boomy.

looking forward to reading your impressions... because you do have to write some!
devil_face.gif

Cool, that means I don't have to lust after yet another headphone made of unobtainium. I love my electrostatic Floats a lot, minus the extreme extreme sound leakage.

Please do post impressions, even if they change my mind about wanting a pair.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 20
the float electrostats are way better, so no reason to lust for the 85DA... except for the fact that they are floats.
the only areas where the PMB wins, are soundstage and instrument separation.

you should start lusting after the PMB500 and 1000 though
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 20
Well guys, I have to share this!!!

Just 3 days ago I sent my PMB85 DA to GermanMaestro - the company that was MB Quart before.
Having no accoustical or technical expertise I wanted to make sure that my cans were functioning as they should and possibly be renovated/updated if necessary.
Much to my surprise, today, I received a package in the mail from GermanMaestro and when I opened it inside I found my cans and the following note:

"Dear Sir,
I felt free to repair your headphone PMB85 free of charge, because this model is more than 20 years old and I've heard about about this headphone but never saw one.
I replaced following components to bring it back to a good condition and performance:
- all foam parts
- all headphone systems
- ear-cushions
- cable (changed to a newer cable with screwable multi-jack 3.5/6.35)
It was interesting to me to see the design and configuration of this headphone and I hope you still can enjoy the fine performance of this "Oldtimer" for a long time.
With best regards from Obrigheim"

All I can say is " W O W ! ! ! "

Listening impressions and photos to follow....

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 20
Wow, GREAT service!!!!

And whats this about double action? Does it freshen your breath and protect you from cavaties at the same time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back