Plz help me choose the correct Q value for and EQ peak filter
Sep 26, 2023 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JUSTINDTH

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a pair of Hifiman HE4xx for which I want to try only EQing out the treble peak. I am familiar with Oratory1900 and AutoEQ settings that change the entire EQ curve to match that of Harman curve. I've tried that, and like it.

However, what I want to do is EQ out the blue peak you see here that starts at 6KHz and ends at 10KHz. I want to flatten it out so it follows the general downward trend. I love the way the 6XX handles the downward slope of treble (red). I'm trying to make it generally similar

It looks like I would need to set my center frequency to 8KHz and then somewhere between -7 to -9db for the amount to reduce it by. However, I don't know what to use for the width Q value. Or, is this a situation where I would use a High Frequency shelf? If so, what would be the frequency to put it at, the Q, and the -db amount? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Eq Curve.PNG

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 16
Sorry, I’d usually go fool around with Room EQ Wizard(free software mainly about measuring speakers), and get you something. But I’m away from home until Xmas. I don’t even have a computer here(for now).
does anybody remember the name of the app that turns lines of a graph into series of amplitudes? I’d usually start with that one and import them into REW to create the difference I want. Then the EQ for it.

Some people know how to deal with this for sure(probably in a smarter, easier way too), but will they read this post?... I wish you luck.

Beside your specific question, as it’s fairly unlikely for the headphone measured here to have the exact FR of your pair on your head, it is probably a good idea to fool around with the EQ and go with your guts. In that situation, subjectivity is unavoidable(for objective reasons).

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 16
Sorry, I’d usually go fool around with Room EQ Wizard(free software mainly about measuring speakers), and get you something. But I’m away from home until Xmas. I don’t even have a computer here(for now).
does anybody remember the name of the app that turns lines of a graph into series of amplitudes? I’d usually start with that one and import them into REW to create the difference I want. Then the EQ for it.

Some people know how to deal with this for sure(probably in a smarter, easier way too), but will they read this post?... I wish you luck.

Beside your specific question, as it’s fairly unlikely for the headphone measured here to have the exact FR of your pair on your head, it is probably a good idea to fool around with the EQ and go with your guts. In that situation, subjectivity is unavoidable(for objective reasons).
Thank you for your response. I will definitely play around with the EQ when I am home and with the headphones. I was just asking for a good place to start. Or, to at least get the general idea of how I should be trying to manipulate.

I understand your point that my headphones probably wont measure the same as this graph I found. However, all the HE4XX generally have a peak in treble somewhere around this point i would imagine - right?

Further looking at the graph I wonder if I need to do two thing...
1. Apply a peak filter to reduce the overall size of the hump. (It looks like the difference from the highest to lowest part of the 6-10k peak is about 9db for the blue one and only about 6db for the red. So, should I apply a -3db peak filter at 8KHz and also do the following:
2. Apply a High Shelf of about -5db starting at 5KHz to bring the whole blue treble section down to be closer to match the overall amount of the red line?

What I'm getting at is I find the treble of the 6XX, 600, 650 headphones to be perfectly fine (no longer own a pair of any Senns). Never offensive. The HE4XX sounds great as is on some types of music. But, when I want to listen to my punk rock and metalcore music it can be too hot. As, with those genres, the drummers play like hell on all the cymbals.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 16
That's a simple correction, and it's so high up and so consistent in its band, just ball parking it by ear would probably work fine. I wouldn't worry about what it looks like on the graph. Just get something that sounds good.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Hello,

I have a pair of Hifiman HE4xx for which I want to try only EQing out the treble peak. I am familiar with Oratory1900 and AutoEQ settings that change the entire EQ curve to match that of Harman curve. I've tried that, and like it.

However, what I want to do is EQ out the blue peak you see here that starts at 6KHz and ends at 10KHz. I want to flatten it out so it follows the general downward trend. I love the way the 6XX handles the downward slope of treble (red). I'm trying to make it generally similar

It looks like I would need to set my center frequency to 8KHz and then somewhere between -7 to -9db for the amount to reduce it by. However, I don't know what to use for the width Q value. Or, is this a situation where I would use a High Frequency shelf? If so, what would be the frequency to put it at, the Q, and the -db amount? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Eq Curve.PNG
The Q value is the center frequency f divided by the bandwidth ∆f:

Q = f/∆f.

So, if f = 8000 Hz and ∆f = 4000 Hz, we get Q = 8000 Hz/4000 Hz = 2.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Sep 28, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 16
In this case for the headphone EQ, you eyeball it. For a more idealistic bandpass filter, you could draw any imaginary horizontal line that crosses the filter's twice, look up the frequencies for the cross points, then take the "geometric mean" of them. In other words, you would multiply the two frequency numbers with each other and take the square root of that. Maybe I'm blanking on an even easier method.

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Try:
  • 6000Hz +3dB, Q4
  • 7000Hz +1dB Q4
  • 8000Hz -8dB, Q4
  • 9000Hz -1dB Q5
  • 10000Hz -3dB Q3
And then optionally also 12000Hz -3dB Q2 if you're bothered by the very upper treble registers.

Squig.link is your friend. You can select a measurement there or upload one, and then using the equalizer tab you can make adjustments to it and see how they affect the FR.

Here's a Squig.link graph showing the HD6XX and HE4XX (I grabbed the HE4XX measurements from a version oratory1990 uploaded). HE4XX is in blue.
FEiqKws.png

Here's the predicted curve with the EQ settings I listed. EQed HE4XX is in red:

zVopaQP.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back