Plussound Audio Thread
May 7, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #1,351 of 1,758
And what's a Mac user supposed to do?

Luckily my son has a pc.

For the time being, the software works on Windows. Links are found at the bottom of our BT page. If you are having trouble getting to our page, try this link: https://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/bluetooth.html

just updated and can confirm the volume is much better. Used with Aptx on my mac book pro and ldac from my samsung s10 with ue 4 pros
However the noise floor is still there, a little white noise. At least thanks to the volume improvements i can bump up the volume of my content without it getting too loud.
Overall great update, looking forward to more in the future.

Pleased to hear! It is our very first update, so there is room for improvements plus we plan to add new features over time, so check back periodically for more updates. Thanks!

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 8, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,352 of 1,758
A brief feedback on the new firmware for the Bluetooth dongle:
Install process was fine on a Win 10 PC.
Unfortunately, the background hiss/noise is no different (and awful). It does not matter what codec you use and I'm now concerned it's a hardware/design issue.
I'm going back to wired and will wait yet again for a fix. My 10 dollar Apple USB C DAC is orders of magnitude better.
So far I'm not impressed with the product nor the companies ability to fix it.
Remember - this was supposed to be a high end audio component.

May 8, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,353 of 1,758
A brief feedback on the new firmware for the Bluetooth dongle:
Install process was fine on a Win 10 PC.
Unfortunately, the background hiss/noise is no different (and awful). It does not matter what codec you use and I'm now concerned it's a hardware/design issue.
I'm going back to wired and will wait yet again for a fix. My 10 dollar Apple USB C DAC is orders of magnitude better.
So far I'm not impressed with the product nor the companies ability to fix it.
Remember - this was supposed to be a high end audio component.

Appreciate your feedback. May we ask what IEMs you are using? Several have reported noticeable reduction on hiss, along with the adjustments to volume steps. Please email us your info so we can look into it. We are not done with updates, so stay tuned for more info later.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 8, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #1,354 of 1,758
Appreciate your feedback. May we ask what IEMs you are using? Several have reported noticeable reduction on hiss, along with the adjustments to volume steps. Please email us your info so we can look into it. We are not done with updates, so stay tuned for more info later.

I'm using a Fearless Roland.
It has no background hiss with any of my Dacs including ibasso dc02, Apple and dragonfly red or Cobalt.

What is the output impedance?
Could that be the problem?

May 8, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,355 of 1,758
I'm using a Fearless Roland.
It has no background hiss with any of my Dacs including ibasso dc02, Apple and dragonfly red or Cobalt.

What is the output impedance?
Could that be the problem?

Thanks for the reply.

Sensitive IEMs are commonly prone to this via BT but your IEM has electrostatic tweeters for the highs, which may explain why it is more present. We’ll look further into it when working on the next update. If you don't see further improvements then, please email us immediately so we can help resolve it.

May 9, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,356 of 1,758
Hmm, I thought I'm in a wrong thread, with all this talk about dongles and BT adapters :p

So, I just had the opportunity to test and to compare PS PPH (palladium plated hybrid) 4wire vs 8wire cable. I have reviewed 4wire version here, and will update the review with this comparison as well.

Though, in theory going from 4wire to 8wire of the same cable should only give you reduction in cable impedance, in practice it could affect sound performance since you are changing one of the variables between your source with its fixed output impedance and your monitors with their singe-driver/multi-driver design and complex crossover (if part of the design). But regardless of the cable science and if/what one believes in or hears with their own ears, I just spent a few hours playing with Tia Fourte, U18t, and handful of other IEMs to make sure the changes I'm hearing are consistent. Literally, got lost in music, playing my favorite test tracks and then also listening to some new releases on Qobuz. Again, for a detailed review of PPH cable please refer to the link above, while these are just my notes on what I'm hearing going from 4wire to 8wire version, using LPGT and N6ii w/E02 as my sources for audio playback and streaming (N6ii), volume matched in every comparison.

The first thing I noticed was soundstage expansion which became even more holographic. In every pair up I tried, the 4wire PPH cable improves the soundstage, giving you more width and depth, one of the big pluses of this cable. Here, sounds like the space is even more 3D holographic in comparison to 4wire version, spreading a little bit wider left/right. Of course, various IEMs should respond differently to impedance changes, but this observation was consistent. In terms of tonality, the most noticeable difference I'm hearing is a change in presentation of mids/vocals. 8wire version, in comparison to 4wire, brings the mids more forward, opens them up, adds more air and transparency, makes them a little more revealing, squeezing out more micro-details.

Again, as I always mention in my reviews, cable is NOT the EQ, and if you are expecting a drastic change because you are not happy with the original signature of your IEMs, cable alone not gonna help you. What cable could do is to fine tune the sound to some degree. So, please, have realistic expectations.

Here are some glamour side-by-side shots of PPH 8wire vs 4wire. Beautiful workmanship, and despite looking thicker, it feels as comfortable to wear as 4wire:

ps-palladium-hybrid-22.jpg ps-palladium-hybrid-23.jpgps-palladium-hybrid-24.jpg ps-palladium-hybrid-25.jpg

And this is currently my favorite pair up, Tia Fourte + PPH 8wire:

ps-palladium-hybrid-27.jpg

@Vitaly2017 : per your request, I also tested Fourte Noir with PWA 1960 4wire (8conductors) vs PS PPH 8wire. And to my surprise, the sound difference I'm hearing going from 1960 4wire to PPH 8wire is like PPH 4wire to 8wire. Again, specific to Fourte Noir edition and using LPGT as a source (my reference source), I do hear mids/vocals open up, sound more revealing, and have improvement in retrieval of details. Not a drastic change, but noticeable. Fourte Noir, relative to Fourte, has more body in lower mids, which can make vocals a little thicker and more organic. Here, switching to PPH 8wire gives mids more transparency which also improves some layering and separation of sounds.

May 10, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #1,357 of 1,758
Hmm, I thought I'm in a wrong thread, with all this talk about dongles and BT adapters :p

So, I just had the opportunity to test and to compare PS PPH (palladium plated hybrid) 4wire vs 8wire cable. I have reviewed 4wire version here, and will update the review with this comparison as well.

Though, in theory going from 4wire to 8wire of the same cable should only give you reduction in cable impedance, in practice it could affect sound performance since you are changing one of the variables between your source with its fixed output impedance and your monitors with their singe-driver/multi-driver design and complex crossover (if part of the design). But regardless of the cable science and if/what one believes in or hears with their own ears, I just spent a few hours playing with Tia Fourte, U18t, and handful of other IEMs to make sure the changes I'm hearing are consistent. Literally, got lost in music, playing my favorite test tracks and then also listening to some new releases on Qobuz. Again, for a detailed review of PPH cable please refer to the link above, while these are just my notes on what I'm hearing going from 4wire to 8wire version, using LPGT and N6ii w/E02 as my sources for audio playback and streaming (N6ii), volume matched in every comparison.

The first thing I noticed was soundstage expansion which became even more holographic. In every pair up I tried, the 4wire PPH cable improves the soundstage, giving you more width and depth, one of the big pluses of this cable. Here, sounds like the space is even more 3D holographic in comparison to 4wire version, spreading a little bit wider left/right. Of course, various IEMs should respond differently to impedance changes, but this observation was consistent. In terms of tonality, the most noticeable difference I'm hearing is a change in presentation of mids/vocals. 8wire version, in comparison to 4wire, brings the mids more forward, opens them up, adds more air and transparency, makes them a little more revealing, squeezing out more micro-details.

Again, as I always mention in my reviews, cable is NOT the EQ, and if you are expecting a drastic change because you are not happy with the original signature of your IEMs, cable alone not gonna help you. What cable could do is to fine tune the sound to some degree. So, please, have realistic expectations.

Here are some glamour side-by-side shots of PPH 8wire vs 4wire. Beautiful workmanship, and despite looking thicker, it feels as comfortable to wear as 4wire:

@Vitaly2017 : per your request, I also tested Fourte Noir with PWA 1960 4wire (8conductors) vs PS PPH 8wire. And to my surprise, the sound difference I'm hearing going from 1960 4wire to PPH 8wire is like PPH 4wire to 8wire. Again, specific to Fourte Noir edition and using LPGT as a source (my reference source), I do hear mids/vocals open up, sound more revealing, and have improvement in retrieval of details. Not a drastic change, but noticeable. Fourte Noir, relative to Fourte, has more body in lower mids, which can make vocals a little thicker and more organic. Here, switching to PPH 8wire gives mids more transparency which also improves some layering and separation of sounds.

No wayyy that means I have to get my self the new PPH 🤑🤑🤑

What you described about PPH vs Pw1960 has intrigued me as I consider pw1960 to be one of the best cables I ever heard and owned hehe.

It has amazing resolution and such charming seductive sound. Very musical to.

I think what I also perceived from your review is that the new PPH will improve my bass control by making it less wide and big with more naturalism.

But the part about the PHH bringing more details and vocals forward is very surprising! I very tempted to do the experiment my self now !!!

Thank you twister6! You rock man !
🤠😎

May 10, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,358 of 1,758
No wayyy that means I have to get my self the new PPH 🤑🤑🤑

What you described about PPH vs Pw1960 has intrigued me as I consider pw1960 to be one of the best cables I ever heard and owned hehe.

It has amazing resolution and such charming seductive sound. Very musical to.

I think what I also perceived from your review is that the new PPH will improve my bass control by making it less wide and big with more naturalism.

But the part about the PHH bringing more details and vocals forward is very surprising! I very tempted to do the experiment my self now !!!

Thank you twister6! You rock man !
🤠😎

You asked me about a specific pair up, so keep that in mind :wink: At the flagship kilobuck level of diminishing returns :p there are no good or bad cables. It's about finding the right pair up synergy with your kilobuck TOTL iem to squeeze the last 5-10% of fine tuning improvement. And then on top of that, you should also consider ergonomics of the design. Like I mentioned above, I was pleasantly surprised how comfortably PPH8 feels. Some 8wire cables are no-go for iems, but this works quite well, soft, pliable, relatively light. And also, absolutely love the looks of new connectors and plug design.

May 10, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,359 of 1,758
You asked me about a specific pair up, so keep that in mind :wink: At the flagship kilobuck level of diminishing returns :p there are no good or bad cables. It's about finding the right pair up synergy with your kilobuck TOTL iem to squeeze the last 5-10% of fine tuning improvement. And then on top of that, you should also consider ergonomics of the design. Like I mentioned above, I was pleasantly surprised how comfortably PPH8 feels. Some 8wire cables are no-go for iems, but this works quite well, soft, pliable, relatively light. And also, absolutely love the looks of new connectors and plug design.

Oh yes I did haha ) I am very thankful for your feedbacks 😊

I agree new Plussound connectors design and overall craftsmanship is amazing! Very soft and durable! Beautiful look very premium with luxurious approach.
I admire Plussound products.

Personally I dont believe in diminishing returns as some people dont believe in burn in period to make a gear to sound better. 😄

For me that 5% gain in sq scales up in amplitude so high with time that it becomes literally a game changer !
Yes I feel I am becoming more and more demanding for that pure desire of ultimate ability in feeling and hearing.

If there is room for improvement I will not hesitate ! My current setup allows me to achieve some incredible sound quality aspects.

I have a very particular path in audio journey, what I am after is very special!

May I ask 1 favor please.
How does PHH + Noir + T01 sounds like?
Vs Pw1960?

🐾🐯🌿

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,360 of 1,758
May I ask 1 favor please.
How does PHH + Noir + T01 sounds like?
Vs Pw1960?

🐾🐯🌿

My impressions above still applicable to your setup :)

May 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #1,361 of 1,758
My impressions above still applicable to your setup :)

You said impedance can vary from 4wires to 8wires.... but how would that affect a lets say 8wires from 1.2m to 1.5m long ?

Or its really not of a big concern? As I like my cables to be a little longer and 1.5 is more freedom 😇

May 14, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,362 of 1,758
Also installed the new firmware on BT dongle and am still getting the whitenoise/hiss w/ Massdrop Plus and Audeze LCDi3. I notice a minor improvement, but it's still quite noticeable with music with rests or breaks.

The volume steps and notification volume are definitely a welcome improvement and I can at least listen comfortably now. If the whitenoise/hiss can be eliminated that would finally make these usable for stationary listening for me. Otherwise, I can only really see these being used while I'm out and about.

Also, is there any way to "switch" between the multiple paired devices from the dongle? Right now any time I want to switch between phone and my computer I need to disable bluetooth on the device to force the switch. The manual doesn't seem to indicate any way to do this.

May 15, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #1,363 of 1,758
Also installed the new firmware on BT dongle and am still getting the whitenoise/hiss w/ Massdrop Plus and Audeze LCDi3. I notice a minor improvement, but it's still quite noticeable with music with rests or breaks.

The volume steps and notification volume are definitely a welcome improvement and I can at least listen comfortably now. If the whitenoise/hiss can be eliminated that would finally make these usable for stationary listening for me. Otherwise, I can only really see these being used while I'm out and about.

Also, is there any way to "switch" between the multiple paired devices from the dongle? Right now any time I want to switch between phone and my computer I need to disable bluetooth on the device to force the switch. The manual doesn't seem to indicate any way to do this.

Thanks for the feedback. If you are connected to two devices, simply pause audio from one device and play from the other and give it a moment to switch.

May 15, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,364 of 1,758

ps-palladium-hybrid-22.jpg ps-palladium-hybrid-23.jpgps-palladium-hybrid-24.jpg ps-palladium-hybrid-25.jpg

ps-palladium-hybrid-27.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing!

May 16, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #1,365 of 1,758
I'd recommend anyone looking at PS Bluetooth module to stay far far away from it. Even with firmware update, hiss/white noise is still noticeable. This is looking more like a hardware issue than a software one. I'm surprised PS released this when the hiss is so apparent considering this is their V2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back