Plussound Audio Thread
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,681 of 1,760
I remembered this: Twister6 describes hearing differences, including sound stage, between 8- and 4-wire versions of the same cable: https://twister6.com/2018/08/25/effect-audio-ares-ii-8-wire-cable/

But I like what a slightly thicker cable does for you, namely, stabilizing the monitors and making "the whole setup a bit sturdier." Function and feel as primary considerations. Leave the rest to EQ or PEQ and choice of music player app, no? Let the "no EQ" folks carry on the debate? :ksc75smile:
Oh cool I'll read that, thanks.

Funny that you mention no EQ. Not that I've ever debated it. :beyersmile: But I'm actually a no EQ guy, at least with my current player (Shanling M3X). I feel like when I use it at all, even a little, it just kills the sound in its entirety. Drops the volume, washes it out. Fortunately the setup sounds very good anyway, with no EQ... but am getting a new player (M6U) and looking forward to comparing.

Anyway, if you're considering the 4 wire, I'd say, go for it. I like it a lot and am going to continue using it as my primary instead of the 2 wire.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,683 of 1,760
Oh cool I'll read that, thanks.

Funny that you mention no EQ. Not that I've ever debated it. :beyersmile: But I'm actually a no EQ guy, at least with my current player (Shanling M3X). I feel like when I use it at all, even a little, it just kills the sound in its entirely. Drops the volume, washes it out. Fortunately the setup sounds very good anyway, with no EQ... but am getting a new player (M6U) and looking forward to comparing.

Anyway, if you're considering the 4 wire, I'd say, go for it. I like it a lot and am going to continue using it as my primary instead of the 2 wire.
A thicker cable than the X series is certainly easier to handle when out and about. I'll note, otherwise, that stabilizing the monitor in the ear is not so necessary with custom IEMs. Good luck with your new player; may the EQ give you better results, should you try that. I love Android on my iBasso players as it enables use of Neutron music player which has just an outstanding parametric equalizer. It took some time to learn to navigate around Neutron's clunky interface and to learn how to use PEQ but, wow, such sound. I daresay that use of the PEQ, compressor, and crossfeed makes, IMO, cable selection less of a consideration. At least, I'm telling myself that. For now. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #1,684 of 1,760
I remembered this: Twister6 describes hearing differences, including sound stage, between 8- and 4-wire versions of the same cable: https://twister6.com/2018/08/25/effect-audio-ares-ii-8-wire-cable/

But I like what a slightly thicker cable does for you, namely, stabilizing the monitors and making "the whole setup a bit sturdier." Function and feel as primary considerations. Leave the rest to EQ or PEQ and choice of music player app? Let the "no EQ" folks carry on the debate? But, man, it's hard to let go of the idea of it all. :ksc75smile:

A few additional thoughts.

The only thing for sure when going from 4wire to 8wire is the change in impedance going down as the cable gets thicker. Everything else will depend on pair up synergy with your source and its output impedance and the design of iems, including driver selection and crossover design. It is really hard to generalize the "sound" of the cable because the cable itself doesn't have a sound while your iem does. Then, cable will fine tune that sound based on all other variables in chain.

And that is the part which I look forward to when cable rolling since you don't know what to expect and sometimes can even get a better result from a thinner or a cheaper cable, all depending on pair up synergy.

Another thing to keep in mind is the ergonomics of the cable vs how you are planning to use it. When you are moving around, typically the listening is less critical and thinner cable is ideal with iems. For a more critical and less mobile listening, thicker cable shouldn't be a problem.

Jan 7, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,685 of 1,760
A few additional thoughts.

The only thing for sure when going from 4wire to 8wire is the change in impedance going down as the cable gets thicker. Everything else will depend on pair up synergy with your source and its output impedance and the design of iems, including driver selection and crossover design. It is really hard to generalize the "sound" of the cable because the cable itself doesn't have a sound while your iem does. Then, cable will fine tune that sound based on all other variables in chain.

And that is the part which I look forward to when cable rolling since you don't know what to expect and sometimes can even get a better result from a thinner or a cheaper cable, all depending on pair up synergy.

Another thing to keep in mind is the ergonomics of the cable vs how you are planning to use it. When you are moving around, typically the listening is less critical and thinner cable is ideal with iems. For a more critical and less mobile listening, thicker cable shouldn't be a problem.
All great points and caveats, @twister6. Explains the need to describe the effects with different IEMs (and equipment) as you did in your review. Definitely a YMMV situation, this cable rolling biz. :)

Jan 8, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,686 of 1,760
As I have three of the 2-wire X series cables (copper, SPC, GPC) I'm interested in your thinking of now opting for the 4-wire Exo. The X series are incredibly lightweight but do tangle easily.

I have to mention this. Maybe it's well known in the audiophile community and everyone does it... but I had no clue. After I watched this video I started winding my cables like this and no more tangles. It took a few days to really get the hang of it but finally it's a great method. Again maybe it's already well known, but in case it isn't:

Jan 8, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,687 of 1,760
I have to mention this. Maybe it's well known in the audiophile community and everyone does it... but I had no clue. After I watched this video I started winding my cables like this and no more tangles. It took a few days to really get the hang of it but finally it's a great method. Again maybe it's already well known, but in case it isn't:

I had no clue, either. I'm glad you didn't assume everyone else did. Nor did I know about using a hairdryer to shape ear hooks (as he mentions), simple as this seems. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,688 of 1,760
Any more feedback on the Allegro or the new TWS adapters?

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #1,689 of 1,760
Any more feedback on the Allegro or the new TWS adapters?

I have been crazy busy at work, still need a few days to finish my review. Btw, I will be bringing Allegro and TWS-C to CanJam NYC for anybody who is interested to hear it.

Jan 17, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,690 of 1,760
I have been crazy busy at work, still need a few days to finish my review. Btw, I will be bringing Allegro and TWS-C to CanJam NYC for anybody who is interested to hear it.

Great. I will be too 😉

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,691 of 1,760
And, here is the PS Allegro review, for those who are interested :)

ps-allegro-22.jpg
ps-allegro-15.jpg

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #1,692 of 1,760
Hey everyone!
I just got my X-Series SPC cable for me U12t today. I wanted a light and thin cable. I havn't had the chance to listen to it properly yet, but one thing that I observed is that the connectors and their housings are quite long. I knew that they are meant to work with both flush and recessed sockets, but having my U12t with the cable in my ear now the connectors seem quite long. I've seen the housing is locked with a screw, but also it seems glued right? There is no way of making that aluminium housing sitting flush on my U12t am I correct?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,693 of 1,760
PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Feb 1, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,694 of 1,760
Feb 1, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #1,695 of 1,760
4E349BA5-E782-46E6-B110-AD9A02CA1965.jpeg

Ever wanted to audition our products? Now is your chance! We are running our first ever North American and European product tours. Sign up today for a chance to try out our new Allegro IEM and some of our most high end cables. Space is very limited to 10 individuals per region.

To learn more, go to
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/join-plussound-on-a-na-and-eu-tour-to-experience-the-allegro-and-our-cables.966747/

Awesome! Hope you can increase your footprint in Asia, please allow a tour that includes Singapore :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back