Pls help recommend a noise isolating/cancelling headphones for home use (not IEM)
Jan 1, 2013 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yukidoh

New Head-Fier
I'll be using this headphone for my study, blocking out household noises and aid my concentration.

my requirements are
1. comfort (hav to wear them for hours)
2. noise isolating or cancelling

indeed sound quality is of less importance to me 

i've been looking into the following ATH-M50s, QC15, V-moda M-100s, Sennheiser HD 380 PRO.

(I don't like IEMs..)

Can anyone recommend one for me? 

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 7
I'll second the QC15, and also add the AE2 - about the same passive isolation, lack of ANC is noticable but if its just at home they're still usually enough. They sound different - less bass impact and top end (both impact and extension), very smooth and non fatguing.

I would say demo both if you can - I like the QC15 more overall, but if you don't need the ANC explcitly and can get into the AE2 sound, they're half the price and more comfortable.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 7
I suggest you try the QC15's before you consider buying as I find mine overheat my ears after about 30 mins and I need to remove for five mins before starting again.

This could be quite distracting for studying. I tend to use my Momentum's more now as I can keep them on longer and find they isolate fairly well without noise cancellation and they sound better to boot in my office where there are 30 people around me, answering phones, yapping away, etc.

Bear in mind that noise cancellation technology is designed to remove constant background hum such as plane engines, air con, etc and not sharp sudden noises that vary in pitch & intensity, so worth looking at in a bit more detail. Not saying that QC15's are the wrong choice for you, just that it shouldn't be your only option.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 7
I'd say:
Bose QC15 - unrivaled isolation (at least there's no headphone with active noise canceling as good as these).

Logitech UE6000 - really good sound quality, nice balance, sturdy construction and pretty good passive noise isolation. With ANC on you'll get a little more isolation at the expense of sound quality (muddier, bloated bass and recessed mids).

Make your choice! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back