Please, some suggestions about CD player
Apr 4, 2003 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first post.
I am a headphone fan in USA. I was using portable CD player before but I feel that it's a big hassel to always change the discs. And I know that portable player can't give me good sound. I used to wrote Jan to ask for a HA-1 Headphone amp. And I am still waiting for the upcoming HA-1 MKII.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still a poor student, so my budget is only 300-400 dollars. I know this is almost nothing for a HiFi CD player. But could you guys give me some suggestions about an entry level CD player? I am considering about Denon DCM-380, which is 300 bucks. But does it make a difference from some 100-dollar players, like SONY CDP-CE375? What's the brand and model you would recommend in 300-400 dollars budget range? What I want is the 5 CD exchanger with remote control. (it would be great if it comes with MP3 decoding) And I am gonna connect it with the headphone amp (probably Corda HA-1) and my HD600.
Thank you!

BTW: According to Jan, the HA-1 MKII is coming next week!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 32
Hi diablo9, welcome to Head-Fi.
Quote:

I am still a poor student, so my budget is only 300-400 dollars.

The NAD C541i is a great budget player, and can be had for $388.00 plus shipping at Yawa Audio. I have bought numerous things from them, their service is top notch (I am not affiliated with them).

You can also check out Audiogon, many times you can find some pretty good deals there. On a selfish note, if you can go a bit over your budget, there is an Arcam CD72T in the Gear For Sale forum.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 32
If you're in the US, your best bet is to buy a $150 pioneer DVD changer from Costco, then send it to SuperMods (Stan Warren) for modification. It will take 3 months to get it back, but probably the best solution if you have to have a changer. I've had one done and it sounds decent. I've never heard them, but people here have posted that their adcom changers are decent player/changers.

But your money will go a lot further if you give up the idea of getting a changer. JMT's Arcam is a great unit for and one that I would definitely recommend (I have no affiliation with JMT other than I enjoy his posts here on Head-fi). I personally think the CD72 is one of the best players out there for under $1000. If you really can't stretch another $100, then look into a used Rega Planet or a Marantz CD6000OSE- these will be softer and warmer sounding than the cd72, but very musical and enjoyable.

Good luck with your search!

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 32
Make sure to check out www.audiogon.com for some killer deals on used CD players. Look for something that is sold by a reputable seller and is relatively new (less than 5-6 years old). These players can be had for a steal compared to when they were new. Some of the players costing in the thousands of dollars a few years ago are now within your price range.

OBTW, JMT's Arcam up for sale would be one incredible CD player. Arcam's stuff sounds really good. (I own a CDP by them, so I'm baised.)

Apr 4, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 32
I would recommend the Music Hall MMF-CD25; there is one on Audiogon for $375, or at least it was there this morning. Definitely worth the money, I really like mine. However, it is not a changer.

As far as changers go, Sony makes the only ones worth looking at AFAIK. In your price range, I would try to find a Sony 222ES. I'm pretty sure www.oade.com sells them, though you have to call/e-mail for pricing. Probably not quite as good sounding as the Music Hall for redbook, but you will get changer/SACD capabilities.

At ~$400 you might also consider the Philips DVD963SA, which is a single disk player. It is a SACD and upsampling CD player, as well as a DVD-V player. I'm not sure exactly how the redbook compares to the Music Hall, but it would at least sound better than the 222ES, and I bet and some would prefer it to the Music Hall for redbook, plus you get SACD and a nice DVD-V (not DVD-A unfortunately) player.

I'd say that those are your three best options in the $300-$400 ranget. I had an Arcam CD72T for three weeks, and it is a nice sounding player, but certainly not worth ~$400 more than the Music Hall (new). I wasn't able to hear both players at the same time, but retrospectively I think I would keep my Music Hall even if someone offered me a straight trade for the Arcam because they are very close in sound and because I can have the Music Hall modded.

However, at $460, JMT's Arcam CD72T is a GREAT value; depending on your tastes, it might be worth ~$100 more than the Music Hall. Plus, JMT is a awesome guy to deal with and he is throwing in a power cord. I would be seriously tempted to go for it.

Apr 4, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 32
Doug makes a good point about checking audiogon, but I'd make sure you buy something of very recent vintage (no older than 5yrs). DACs have come a long way in recent times.

The other decision you need to make is whether or not you care about the new formats (SACD and DVD-A), and whether that will be a criteria in your player choice.

If you are unfamiliar with the new formats, here's a place to start: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=cd+is+dead

Mark

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 32
I would second the Musichall 25 or JMT's Arcam, based solely on what I have READ, not heard. the NAD 541i at yawa is also supposed to be a great CDP at a great price

I was looking for a redbook player as well, and am still stuck. I am VERY very tempted by the music hall, yet the Philips 963sa has my eye. i would like to replace my DVD player (since it lacks prog scan), and replace my cdp changer (lacks upsampling, and nowhere near the quality of any of these aforementioned players). the Philips will allow me to do both.

I just wonder if i could hear any difference btwn say, the Music Hall and the Philips. perhaps the extra abilities of SACD, DVD, and CD outweigh the other players' potential greater sound capabilities?

gluck making a decision, and enjoy whatever you get!!!!'

btw, JMT said welcome to headfi, but ill say "SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET!"
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 32
Thank you so much for your nice reply!
HeadFi is really a nice place! may not be so nice to my wallet though.
frown.gif

After reading these replies, I feel that JMT's Arcam is always on the top-of-the-list choices. I think I would consider it seriously.

BTW: JMT please check the PM, thanks.

Apr 5, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Doug makes a good point about checking audiogon, but I'd make sure you buy something of very recent vintage (no older than 5yrs). DACs have come a long way in recent times.

You're not kidding!

Having picked up the CDP-XE570 today, and seeing that it is worth £200 less than I paid for my Marantz CD63SE in 1995 I can't believe how decent it sounds...

Sure, it won't set your world on fire if you have a high end player, but it is a lot cleaner, and more neutral sounding, and with a much better controlled bass-line than the elderly Marantz that has just retired to the big trashcan in the sky
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 32
Another vote for the 963SA.

I have had a chance to compare it with a $1500 Marantz DV8300 and an Ayre CX-7 @$3000 and it gives them a run for their money. For just redbook you can hear more detail with the Ayre. I did not think that it was as musical as the 963 as faults in every recoring were so easy to hear.

Apr 5, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 32
Oh, I am sure that hearing the difference between CD players is not difficult at all. But my problem is: I don't have a golden ear like somebody here.
wink.gif

Another question is: if I use Arcam's CD72T, connect it with Jan's Corda HA-1, then with HD600 (I didn't replace the cable) do you guys recommend a replacement of the interconnect? How much at least should I pay for the interconnect to remove the "bottleneck" on the overall performance? I don't mean those huge cables for thousands of dollars, I am talking about the propriate cable for this system.

Thank

Apr 5, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 32
You really do not need a golden ear to hear the differences between players. My wife is as skeptical as they come and she said that she hears the differences I am talking about. A good interconnect will help. Do a search for interconnects

Apr 5, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 32
diablo9, the Arcam does not come with interconnects like many CDPs do. To me, that in itself is a statement to the relative importance of a quality cable. There are many budget choices that you can go with, the Outlaws have gotten some great reviews, the lower end AudioQuests, Kimbers, StraightWires, etc. Like john_jcb said, you can do a search and get many opinions and options.

Apr 5, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #14 of 32
I used Outlaws with the Arcam and I thought they worked well; however, not so well with the Music Hall, so I moved on to my PSS Quartet which I like a lot better. I'm not sure that I would want silver with the Arcam though, there would probably be a tendency towards harshness; copper seems like a better choice. Though I never heard the Arcam with anything except the Outlaws, so my opinion is really just speculation.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by diablo9
Another question is: if I use Arcam's CD72T, connect it with Jan's Corda HA-1, then with HD600 (I didn't replace the cable) do you guys recommend a replacement of the interconnect? How much at least should I pay for the interconnect to remove the "bottleneck" on the overall performance? I don't mean those huge cables for thousands of dollars, I am talking about the propriate cable for this system.

Thank

Get a hold of a Cardas Golden Reference IC from www.Audiogon.com or elsewhere. They can be had for about $250 or so. Great sounding IC for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back