Please recommend your favorite scary/disturbing fiction novels
Apr 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

subtle

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got done with The Ruins by Scott Smith. I picked it up before catching a flight over to Atlanta last week. The quote on the front from Stephen King reads "The Scariest Novel of the New Century" or something like that. It was a great read but certainly not what I would classify as "scary".

Just to clarify, when I say disturbing I'm talking about smart, intense, mental, playing with your head kind of disturbing. I am NOT talking about filthy garbage like American Psycho.

A friend recently suggested Salem's Lot by Stephen King. She said it was the scariest King novel that she had ever read. Anyone agree?

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend recently suggested Salem's Lot by Stephen King. She said it was the scariest King novel that she had ever read. Anyone agree?

I don't know that Salem's Lot was his scariest, but it's definitely good.

For the scariest book I've ever read, I'd have to go with "Pet Sematary". I remember finishing that one as a kid while I was on vacation with my dad. We were in a hotel, it was late, he was in the other bed, sound asleep. I finished the book, and just lay there, terrified. Just when I was almost starting to chill out, my dad suddenly started snoring. I almost crapped 'em. Creepy, creepy book.

You might also try some H.P. Lovecraft. Very, very different stuff. But definitely screws with your mind. He was really good at giving you just barely enough of a description to let you imagine something far more terrifying than he could describe himself. It's mostly short stories sold in compilations. I can't remember the names of all the good ones, but I'd recommend "Call of Cthulhu." And "The Dunwich Horror." (Don't let the moronic cover art they usually put on there throw you off. It has nothing to do with the stories.)

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 20
Get 'The best of H.P. Lovecraft'

Awesome stuff.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get 'The best of H.P. Lovecraft'

Awesome stuff.

51NMPRDQNZL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Kinda cheesy, but I liked the urban exploration aspect of this book. Makes me have my knife ready when I'm exploring abandoned buildings now, that's for sure.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 20
"The Painted Bird," by Jerzy Kosinski. But is it fiction?
wink.gif

One of the more disturbing books ever written, and I've been through the Cthulhu Mythos, as well.

For short stories, try "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," by Ambrose Bierce and any of the short story collections by T. Coraghessan Boyle. The adult stories by Roald Dahl are worth reading, too. Dahl was not just a children's author - his other books involve sex, violence and plenty of weird stuff.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Painted Bird," by Jerzy Kosinski. But is it fiction?
wink.gif

One of the more disturbing books ever written, and I've been through the Cthulhu Mythos, as well.

For short stories, try "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson, "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," by Ambrose Bierce and any of the short story collections by T. Coraghessan Boyle. The adult stories by Roald Dahl are worth reading, too. Dahl was not just a children's author - his other books involve sex, violence and plenty of weird stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations they have provided. Pet Semetary was a damn scary film so I'll have to pick that one up along with Salem's Lot. I'm also going to read up on The Painted Bird and research more of Lovecraft.

Uncle Erik, "The Lottery" is one of my favorites. That is exactly what I mean by disturbing. Have you read much of Flannery O'Connor's work? I absolutely love her style.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 20
By Reason Of Insanity by Shane Stevens. You classified American Psycho as "filthy garbage". AP was a cheap rip off of this book.

Also check out The Jade Unicorn by Jay Halpern. You can probably still find a copy of the 25th anniversary edition that was published a few years ago. I read it when I was back in high school, probably around 1981 or 1982 and I remember it freaking me out.

You might want to also check out some books by the late, great Michael McDowell, in particular Cold Moon Over Babylon and Toplin. These can probably be found on the used market. Note that he is not to be confused with another author, Michael Kube-McDowell.

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

...I'm talking about smart, intense, mental, playing with your head kind of disturbing.

Funny, that's exactly how I'd describe Brett Easton Ellis' American Psycho. I found Stephen King's novels frightening, but in a Dan Brown sort of way...
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 20
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I just find nothing smart at all about describing a power tool going through someone's teeth and/or sewing a starved rat up inside of someone. To me that's just outright filth and a kind of disturbing that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination. It doesn't "play with your head", but instead spells it all out in black and white for you. It's simply Shock Factor 101 and not at all what I'm looking for.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

To me that's just outright filth and a kind of disturbing that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination.

I believe they said the same thing about Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence...
eek.gif

Quote:

It's simply Shock Factor 101 and not at all what I'm looking for.

Totally respect that. Happy book hunting...

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by helperTcell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they said the same thing about Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence...
eek.gif

You are absolutely right. Point taken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by helperTcell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally respect that. Happy book hunting...

Cheers.

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 20
not sure if its what your after but..

i liked micheal crichtons books, theyre very sciency

Prey, was ace, its about artificial intelligence/evolution based on basic computer models of insects evolving, he also knows his stuff, it makes sense, and cause ive done molecular biology at uni i found it really quite disturbing, better than any film ive seen

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for that recommendation tjkurita. I've been meaning to read "No Country" to see how it differs from the film. I'll pick up "The Road" at the same time.

Al4x...thanks for the Crichton suggestion. I've read most of his books and thoroughly enjoy his work. "Congo" and "Rising Sun" were so much better than the films. Light years better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back