Please recommend me in earbuds with most extended highs...
Dec 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HFAUDIOPHILE

IP Address matches ZARIM.
Hi iam new on this forum and looking for my next purchase in earbuds with most extended sliky smooth highs from my iPod classic no ampilfiers. I listen mostely classcal, instrumetal pop, country, indie rock and rock on my ipod. My budget is around $300 to $400 and iam considering these in earbuds Etymotic HF5, CK10.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 12
IE8/IE80 are well known to have a bass focus, and a bit boomy/flabby at that.

OP, the Etymotic ER4S ($299) and HiFiMan RE0 ($59) are a great place to start specifically for treble that goes on forever without being harsh.

Quote:
Have you looked at the IE80's, to my ears they're one of the best all rounders in IEM's with adjustable bass and sound excellent straight from my iPhone or iTouch.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

OP, the Etymotic ER4S ($299) and HiFiMan RE0 ($59) are a great place to start specifically for treble that goes on forever without being harsh.

The comments above suggest that this poster hasn't heard the Sennheisers and possibly not the ER4s or REOs either. This is one of the problems with this forum, where posters give out 'second hand' information that may or may not be correct. This makes it very hard for noobs to the scene who are trying to sort out what will be best for them. What I am saying is that if you haven't experienced them, then please don't comment.

I use the IE80s for a lot of classical music and the bass focus is excellent for this and any other acoustic medium. It's reproduction of vocals is excellent and you can hear very cleat and well extended highs with it as well. Bass extensionis is very deep but doesn't stray into midrange territory. This was a partial fault with the IE8s and to my Sennheiser corrected with with the IE80. One caveat - this iem will expose any faults in the recordings you are listening to whether it be that via the studio or  a low bitrate. You can easily distinguish between 160 and 320 kbps with these earphones.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 12
+1 on the Etymotic HF5 or ER4 -- HF5 if you want 90% of the ER4 at half the price.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 12
Strange how you attempt to discredit my advice and insult me, while you actually agree with me that they're bass-centric all in the hopes of defending your expensive purchase and limited listening experience.

Quote:
The comments above suggest that this poster hasn't heard the Sennheisers and possibly not the ER4s or REOs either. This is one of the problems with this forum, where posters give out 'second hand' information that may or may not be correct. This makes it very hard for noobs to the scene who are trying to sort out what will be best for them. What I am saying is that if you haven't experienced them, then please don't comment.

I use the IE80s for a lot of classical music and the bass focus is excellent for this and any other acoustic medium. It's reproduction of vocals is excellent and you can hear very cleat and well extended highs with it as well. Bass extensionis is very deep but doesn't stray into midrange territory. This was a partial fault with the IE8s and to my Sennheiser corrected with with the IE80. One caveat - this iem will expose any faults in the recordings you are listening to whether it be that via the studio or  a low bitrate. You can easily distinguish between 160 and 320 kbps with these earphones.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Strange how you attempt to discredit my advice and insult me, while you actually agree with me that they're bass-centric all in the hopes of defending your expensive purchase and limited listening experience.

No, you said the bass was flabby and bloated which you can't back up as you haven't heard them. I have and there is a depth and extension to the bass which works for all genres. To my ears they are not flabby or bloated. I also talked about the great mids and highs but you seem to have conveniently ignored that.

Why should anyone take advice from someone who has never heard these iems and for this reason I definitely do question your opinion. To me this is the forum version of malicious gossip where a negative (or positive) opinion is continuously reiterated with no actual basis in fact.

Here is how it stands - I've heard these, as well as the IE8s, have you? Now that you've mentioned it, what is your listening experience? How many years does it add up to and in what circumstances?

Please see that I am asking you what experience you've had before I make any  judgement statements on your ability to determine what does and doesn't sound good. Regardless, I would accept your opinion if you'd heard the phones because you are entitled to that opinion. However, without knowing anything about my background you've indicated that I am a noob to the audiophile scene and this affects my credibility. This is an arrogant approach ( an "I know more than you" attitude) and tends to support my supposition that you make comments without checking your facts.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

The treble on the ER4S does not go on forever in my opinion (even allowing for the hyperbole). It is actually quite bandwidth limited to the point where it falls considerably short with violins, for example, where accurate portrayal of upper harmonic content is paramount to accuracy. Even a fairly basic supra-aural model such as the Sennheiser PXC300 has a much more resolving and extended top end than the ER4S. I do agree though, that what treble there is with the ER4S is never harsh, except to the extent that the lack of air due to the lack of bandwidth can make it sound too dry.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 12
You sound like you have some real serious anger and self-esteem issues for a headphone forum. I'll leave you to yourself.

Quote:
No, you said the bass was flabby and bloated which you can't back up as you haven't heard them. I have and there is a depth and extension to the bass which works for all genres. To my ears they are not flabby or bloated. I also talked about the great mids and highs but you seem to have conveniently ignored that.

Why should anyone take advice from someone who has never heard these iems and for this reason I definitely do question your opinion. To me this is the forum version of malicious gossip where a negative (or positive) opinion is continuously reiterated with no actual basis in fact.

Here is how it stands - I've heard these, as well as the IE8s, have you? Now that you've mentioned it, what is your listening experience? How many years does it add up to and in what circumstances?

Please see that I am asking you what experience you've had before I make any  judgement statements on your ability to determine what does and doesn't sound good. Regardless, I would accept your opinion if you'd heard the phones because you are entitled to that opinion. However, without knowing anything about my background you've indicated that I am a noob to the audiophile scene and this affects my credibility. This is an arrogant approach ( an "I know more than you" attitude) and tends to support my supposition that you make comments without checking your facts.

...But who says I haven't?

Quote:
No, you said the bass was flabby and bloated which you can't back up as you haven't heard them

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 12
The CK10 are a good choice and so is the PFE232, I don't really know how a question about iem's with extended highs became an argument over the IE8/80 tbh because they're not worth mentioning in this context.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Good earbuds are Yuin PK1/OK1 or Sennheiser MX980/MX985.

Have you heard the CX985 or CX300? Surprisingly, despite the low price, the CX300 has the most extended highs I have heard in an IEM to the point where it sounds like ordinary speakers, so was wondering if the top end CX / MX models retain this character (which surprisingly I did not hear in the much more expensive IE7 which had very poor, dry sounding highs with no air or sparkle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back