Please recommend headphone perfect for serious monitoring/mixing
Apr 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #121 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH AD2000 is another phone that measures flat and that is often said to be very colored and forward in the mids...
ath-ad2000_f.gif

Comparing ryumatsuba's graphs with each other and with HeadRoom's, the latter seem to be more reflective of real-life response, and the ATH-AD2000 does have more forward mids than the AH-D2000 on the graphs. (Funny how similar the model numbers are.)

Quote:

Even dummy heads are not completely reliable according to a study someone posted on the DT48 thread.

Nothing can be completely reliable, due to the natural variation in people's hearing. But link plz?

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #122 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by froasier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing ryumatsuba's graphs with each other and with HeadRoom's, the latter seem to be more reflective of real-life response, and the ATH-AD2000 does have more forward mids than the AH-D2000 on the graphs. (Funny how similar the model numbers are.)

Sure, still the graph of the AD2000 is very close from the HD800's for instance, which many people call neutral.

Quote:

Nothing can be completely reliable, due to the natural variation in people's hearing. But link plz?

There you go
AST : Vol. 25 (2004) , No. 4 pp.276-285
It's very interesting because it shows not only the flaws of dummy heads but also how measures differ from an headphone to another, depending on the sealing, the crosstalk, etc...

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #123 of 147
Quote:

There you go
AST : Vol. 25 (2004) , No. 4 pp.276-285
It's very interesting because it shows not only the flaws of dummy heads but also how measures differ from an headphone to another, depending on the sealing, the crosstalk, etc...

See the references at the end af the document... I read the titles af all these works about headphones and then remember about the spritzer mod which fixes engineers' mistakes in O2mk2. It must be based on even more literature and research.
Thanks for this link!!

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #124 of 147
Quote:

I'm guessing you might actually mean something adjective-less, like "a 5-dB resonance at 300 Hz," which is less ambiguous to a pro, but not meaningful at all to the average Joe.

No mix engineer worth his salt would choose such a colored headphone as you describe the Denon to actually do a mix. Mixing on a system with "bloaty midbass" and "peaky highs" will result in a mix that has recessed midbass and highs on any other system. Yes, colored headphones can be useful for checking certain things, but the "one headphone to do it all" is the neutral one and the one you will mainly use to do a mix. I know less about recording (I've only done it a few times vs. countless for mixing), but I'm pretty sure it's the same concept--most of the time you want a neutral representation of the sound, so that you know both how much it has changed between the instrument(s) and your headphones, and how it will sound in a (neutral) mixing/listening environment.

You're right, numbers are the best adjective to use for our purposes.
Recording engineers use other adjectives to describe more than just frequency response and the appropriate eq decision, although this really isn't relevant to our discussion.
Thanks for bringing this up tho so I could clarify my thoughts better.

Yeah recording headphones have the same criteria as mixing headphones. Tracking headphones don't have as high as a criteria only because someone will likely buy a few more less expensive headphones to serve this purpose (headphones for a group of people to listen to at the same time) also preferably closed headphones, so they could also then double as a vocal monitor/overdubber.
Often times I see people buy a few of the same headphone that are good for all three purposes, and their mixing is mostly done on monitors.
If they have a 'reference headphone' that they use they will always check the mixes on monitors anyways, no matter how good the reference headphone may be.

Quote:

The only way to have a measurement system take into account individual hearing response is to have each person measure their hearing (using a consistent system) and apply this curve to the headphone measurements. Otherwise all you can do is use average hearing curves. It's not so much a matter of invention as one of practicality.

Agreed, so this technology is in fact currently being used?

Quote:

(You also describe the 900ti as both "detailed" and "not the most resolving" ...kinda contradictory--What is there to resolve other than details?)

We can perceive something as detailed if there if there are a lot of high mids or treble.
I think you're right, being resolving is the best (truest) indication of detail but the kind of detail the 900ti present me I find useful as well.

I also agree with your point about reference headphones needing to be neutral but in practice all of the headphones pros use really are coloured in some way or another, we just pick whichever coloration we can forgive the easiest.
HD650's-a little more midbass than need be, internal detail can be distracting
DT880-not as subjectively engaging as HD650's, no mid scooping so mixes can sound 'hard' on monitors
MDR-7509 - too much emphasis on low midrange, internal details emphasised a little too strongly for replacing monitors

Any recording engineer worth their salt understands the colorations of their monitors/headphones by hearing their mixes on systems at different pricepoints, as well as summing their mixes to mono to check for phase cancellation. (for radio play)
Even the most neutral headphones/monitors will require effort from the engineer when it comes to understanding what they are mixing and how it relates to the 'real world'. (the systems that their music will likely be played on)

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #125 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Often times I see people buy a few of the same headphone that are good for all three purposes, and their mixing is mostly done on monitors.
If they have a 'reference headphone' that they use they will always check the mixes on monitors anyways, no matter how good the reference headphone may be.

Of course. I just meant among headphones.

Quote:

Agreed, so this technology is in fact currently being used?

No, not that I'm aware of.

Quote:

We can perceive something as detailed if there if there are a lot of high mids or treble.
I think you're right, being resolving is the best (truest) indication of detail but the kind of detail the 900ti present me I find useful as well.

In that case, "bright" or "crisp" would be more accurate.

Quote:

I also agree with your point about reference headphones needing to be neutral but in practice all of the headphones pros use really are coloured in some way or another, we just pick whichever coloration we can forgive the easiest.
HD650's-a little more midbass than need be, internal detail can be distracting
DT880-not as subjectively engaging as HD650's, no mid scooping so mixes can sound 'hard' on monitors
MDR-7509 - too much emphasis on low midrange, internal details emphasised a little too strongly for replacing monitors

This is because the perfect headphones do not exist, and we must compromise for many factors and do the best we can with what we have.
What on earth do you mean by "mid scooping"?

Quote:

Any recording engineer worth their salt understands the colorations of their monitors/headphones by hearing their mixes on systems at different pricepoints, as well as summing their mixes to mono to check for phase cancellation. (for radio play)
Even the most neutral headphones/monitors will require effort from the engineer when it comes to understanding what they are mixing and how it relates to the 'real world'. (the systems that their music will likely be played on)

Of course, but the more neutral the headphones (or monitors), the less effort it should take. And I don't know what relevance summing to mono has to this discussion.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #126 of 147
Forgive me I'm just speaking freely, ranting if you will.
-Checking mixes on other monitors - summing to mono, both are a stage of mastering, which is why I lumped them together.
-Mid Scooping is the same thing as V-shaped frequency curve.
But now we're just getting into semantics.

I want to see more feedback from people with 4070's...

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #127 of 147
Quote:

I want to see more feedback from people with 4070's...

Sadly not all to many own a pair.
I passed on my 4070 to another Head-Fier in January last year. Top notch 'phone indeed, but between my other 'phones it got too little listening time.

May 7, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #128 of 147
OK, I just posted my review of the D7000 (comparing with the HD650 and M50) here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/490664/my-denon-ah-d7000-review-comparison-with-hd650-and-m50#post_6621994

Now, in the context of serious audio work (mixing, mastering...etc), how doe the D7000 fare? Would I use the D7000 for that purpose? As you probably guessed from my review, the answer is probably no. It's more of a "fun" pair of headphones, although its bass frequencies are very good--accurate enough to mix with, I can't exactly use a pair of headphones just of one frequency range. The treble is a bit too sharp and the mids are a bit recessed, so it's not as balanced as I would need for critical work. In comparison, I'd say the M50 and the HD650 are both more balanced overall. But at the same time, if I used it for audio work, I could end up with a warmer sounding mix that has great mid-range clarity and very balanced bass--maybe that's not so bad after all.
o2smile.gif

May 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #129 of 147
I've been using modded 225s with wood cups which works well with small ensemble classical works which I record on the weekends.

You do get some comb filtering with the more open Grados but they get the string timbre just right.

May 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #130 of 147
The DT48s are the best monitoring headphones you could buy south of the K1000's (those being the best). They're a headphone version of NS10's. They're made for monitoring. Id also consider trying to find a pair of K240 AKGS. I own the DFs and love them. They image much better than my DT48s but when it comes to the sound itself, they arent as honest. Dont bother with ultrasones. Denons aren't monitoring headphones and are highly overrated in my opinion. Id also look into Sony's which are common amongst proaudio people. That being said DT48s are the ones.

May 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #132 of 147
I tested the Stax 007MKII today, and I was incredibly impressed. This is the closest thing to a pair of headphones I'd do serious audio work with--it's so amazingly natural sounding--nothing like dynamic headphones, which now just sounds artificial and forced in comparison--even the extremely high-end ones. You can read a more detailed review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/490696/looking-for-next-pair-of-cans-after-the-d7000-hd650-m50/15#post_6658589

I'm now trying to find a pair of 4070 I can listen to, to see if its 30Hz region is less-rolled off than the 007MKII.

You guys were right about Stax. F-cking A. Unbelievable.

May 22, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #133 of 147

Quote:
I tested the Stax 007MKII today, and I was incredibly impressed. This is the closest thing to a pair of headphones I'd do serious audio work with--it's so amazingly natural sounding--nothing like dynamic headphones, which now just sounds artificial and forced in comparison--even the extremely high-end ones. You can read a more detailed review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/490696/looking-for-next-pair-of-cans-after-the-d7000-hd650-m50/15#post_6658589

I'm now trying to find a pair of 4070 I can listen to, to see if its 30Hz region is less-rolled off than the 007MKII.

You guys were right about Stax. F-cking A. Unbelievable.

You owe it to yourself to listen to the Audez'e LCD-2s.  I predict you will be amazed.

May 23, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #134 of 147

Quote:
You owe it to yourself to listen to the Audez'e LCD-2s.  I predict you will be amazed.

I plan to. Its frequency chart alone made my mouth water--I've never seen such flat bass extension before in my life--not even in high-end reference monitor speakers (unless they are aided by a sub-woofer with excellent crossover design).

May 23, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #135 of 147

Quote:
I plan to. Its frequency chart alone made my mouth water--I've never seen such flat bass extension before in my life--not even in high-end reference monitor speakers (unless they are aided by a sub-woofer with excellent crossover design).

Rob,
I hope you'll be as pleased as I was and am with the LCD-2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back