Please recommend headphone perfect for serious monitoring/mixing
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

Lunatique

1000+ Head-Fier
I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to get something really high-end--something that can match the sonic accuracy and resolution of my Klein+Hummel O300D's. I'm only familiar with mid-level cans, and so far my favorites are HD650 and ATH-M50. I love the smoothness and detail of the HD650, but its sub-bass is not as prominent as a pair of monitor speakers (which is normal for headphones). The M50's sub-bass is very good, and more substantial than the HD650--overall punchier bass than the HD650.

I've been considering maybe the Denon D7000, since it's probably one of the very few headphones that actually has sub-bass that's prominent enough, and I've been told it's as prominent as the M50 or even more so.

So, is Denon D7000 the one for me? Are there other high-end cans that has adequate sub-bass reproduction (adequate as in able to match a pair of full-range monitor speakers + sub), non-fatiguing in the 3KHz~6KHz range ( I can't stand really bright cans that hurts my ears), nice and airy (16KHz range is reproduced well), with lush and articulate mids, punchy bass, great soundstage, and so on?

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 147
For monitoring, the denons are way to colored plus the bass is exaggerated, unless you really like this...
I think you have one choice for ULTRA high end monitoring, they go as low as the recording and sources permit, but naturally low, nothing exaggerated, mids are simply amazing and for voice they stand alone:

STAX 4070 Monitors
o2smile.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 147
Some say the DT48 is one of the best headphones on the planet with a sound that's flatter than flat. That's all I know...

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if youre THAT serious about mixing, you really ought to forgo headphones for monitors

Well, I sometimes work late into the night, and I can't monitor with my K+H O300D's that late. That's why I want a pair of headphones that come close to the quality of my K+H's, so I can keep working late at night without much compromise.

Also, I recently purchased Isone Pro, and all the crap that people always say about working on headphones are now history. I was completely blown away by Isone Pro's ability to make headphones sound exactly like speakers in a room. It's miles ahead of any crossfeed DSP plugin I have ever heard--from Redline Monitor to all the plugins ever made for apps like foobar, winamp...etc. And it's only $27!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For monitoring, the denons are way to colored plus the bass is exaggerated, unless you really like this...
I think you have one choice for ULTRA high end monitoring, they go as low as the recording and sources permit, but naturally low, nothing exaggerated, mids are simply amazing and for voice they stand alone:

STAX 4070 Monitors
o2smile.gif

I have seen more than one audio professional raving about how flat and extended the Denons are, including running spectrum analyzers on them to prove their point.

I think most people don't realize just how much bass is present when reproduced by accurate and neutral setup. Most people don't know that sub-bass energy when faithfully reproduces is actually very visceral and full of impact. When they aren't used to working with full-range speakers that can reproduce accurately down to 30Hz or more with authority and accuracy, they think any kind of sub-bass presence in headphones is exaggerated.

Currently, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 comes very close to reproducing sub-bass energy to satisfaction--it's like having subwoofers in your headphones. Many people who have never heard a full-range reference monitor that goes as low as 30Hz find the M50's bass too exaggerated, but to me, it's just about right (when I A/B the M50 against my K_H O300D's).

The Stax headphones may be too rich for my blood. I'd like to keep my spending to maybe $2000 total, including if the headphone requires a matching amp.

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some say the DT48 is one of the best headphones on the planet with a sound that's flatter than flat. That's all I know...

I just read a review that says it barely has any bass. That's not flat.

I think many people mistaken flat response as limp and lifeless bass. As I mentioned in the post above, flat and neutral actually contains very substantial sub-bass energies that many speakers and headphones can't reproduce with any authority.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 147
Maybe your problem is your source / pre-amp /headphone amp unit ?

The "SAMSON C CONTROL" is pretty cheap with gear you are using have you tried more high-end pro units like "Benchmark - DAC-1 PRE", "LavryBlack DA11" or "Grace m902B" ?

just a idea.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 147
Isone Pro? 27 dollars, U.S.? My Pioneer Monitor 10r already has very speaker like sound qualities to my ears. I've just become curious...

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe your problem is your source / pre-amp /headphone amp unit ?

The "SAMSON C CONTROL" is pretty cheap with gear you are using have you tried more high-end pro units like "Benchmark - DAC-1 PRE", "LavryBlack DA11" or "Grace m902B" ?

just a idea.

I also use my TC Electronic konnekt, which has pretty high quality DA converter and headphone amp. In face TC Electronic's got a good reputation in that department.

In general I'm very skeptical about those super expensive headphone amps and DA converters, since many times in double blind tests, people cannot tell them apart from regular budget gear. Gearslutz.com have lots of shootouts like that and it's downright comical how many people end up feeling quite foolish after failing double blind tests like those. My Samson C-Control sounds just fine--no distortion, plenty of power, and no noise. I've compared it to an all digital signal path (going directly to the digital inputs of my K+H O300D's, and I couldn't tell any difference).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isone Pro? 27 dollars, U.S.? My Pioneer Monitor 10r already has very speaker like sound qualities to my ears. I've just become curious...

Definitely try the trial version and see for yourself. I have heard examples from the SPL Phonitor and I think Isone Pro sounds very similar, and for only a tiny fraction of the price of Phonitor.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is Denon D7000 the one for me?

Nope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there other high-end cans that has adequate sub-bass reproduction (adequate as in able to match a pair of full-range monitor speakers + sub), non-fatiguing in the 3KHz~6KHz range ( I can't stand really bright cans that hurts my ears), nice and airy (16KHz range is reproduced well), with lush and articulate mids, punchy bass, great soundstage, and so on?

Not if that's what you're looking for.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique
I think most people don't realize just how much bass is present when reproduced by accurate and neutral setup. Most people don't know that sub-bass energy when faithfully reproduces is actually very visceral and full of impact. When they aren't used to working with full-range speakers that can reproduce accurately down to 30Hz or more with authority and accuracy, they think any kind of sub-bass presence in headphones is exaggerated.

I think you just like exaggerated bass.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #15 of 147
Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm? or 600 ohm?
it is a little harsh on the treble sometimes but good for mixing.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use them at work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back