Please recommend an AMP and DAC for Audioquest Nightowl
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ammthe

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm a new head-fi member my name is Aung and I'm from Myanmar where there are no showrooms where I can go try equipment, or buy and return equipment.
I recently purchased my first pair of full sized headphones, Audioquest Nightowl, when I visited Singapore.
I also got Dragonfly Black v1.5 for portable use.

Now, I want an amp-dac combo under $500 that I can put on my desk and hook up to my laptop to use with my NOs. I only got this chance to order it from US because a friend of mine is coming back at the end of 2018.

A little bit about me to help you with recommendations:
I've never owned any other pair of headphones.
I owned etymotic hf5 and klipsch s4 earphones and I didn't enjoy music with them.
I listen to everything. I use my headphones for movies and games as well.

Aug 20, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 9
I vote for either the JDS Labs The Element or Audio-GD NFB-11.28. Very well built for the price and hard to beat.

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Now, I want an amp-dac combo under $500 that I can put on my desk and hook up to my laptop to use with my NOs. I only got this chance to order it from US because a friend of mine is coming back at the end of 2018.

I own the NightOwls as well and have them paired with the Chord Mojo, a wonderful combination in my opinion!
The Chord Mojo is by many considered the best DAC/Amp below 1000 USD, and the AudioQuest NightHawk used to be Rob Watts' favorite headphones with the Mojo (He is the developer of the Chord DAC technology and the Mojo).
The Mojo is designed for portable use and should not be charged and used at the same time, but other than that I am using it exactly as you describe in my office, connected to the PC. On the go I use it paired with y HiBy R3 DAP.

The most prominent characteristics of the Mojo are a smooth, natural yet detailed sound and a very deep soundstage with very good separation. It also seems to extract more from standard CD files than other DACs and is not fatiguing at all. It just pulls me into the music and makes me want to listen more. With the NightOwls I love the deep soundstage, I can hear a whole concert hall with that pair, and enjoy music for hours!

Here's info on youtube:

That said, from what I read from Rhamnetin, he knows what he's talking about, so I am sure his recommendations are very solid.

Aug 20, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 9
I can also support a Chord Mojo recommendation. I think it's probably the best DAC below $1k although the amp lacks power and authority for headphones that demand it (if the headphones don't demand it then it's fine).

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 9
I can also support a Chord Mojo recommendation. I think it's probably the best DAC below $1k although the amp lacks power and authority for headphones that demand it (if the headphones don't demand it then it's fine).

I can afford the Element and Audio-GD more. I'll check out the Mojo as well just to see! Thanks for your advice!

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 9
I own the NightOwls as well and have them paired with the Chord Mojo, a wonderful combination in my opinion!
The Chord Mojo is by many considered the best DAC/Amp below 1000 USD, and the AudioQuest NightHawk used to be Rob Watts' favorite headphones with the Mojo (He is the developer of the Chord DAC technology and the Mojo).
The Mojo is designed for portable use and should not be charged and used at the same time, but other than that I am using it exactly as you describe in my office, connected to the PC. On the go I use it paired with y HiBy R3 DAP.

The most prominent characteristics of the Mojo are a smooth, natural yet detailed sound and a very deep soundstage with very good separation. It also seems to extract more from standard CD files than other DACs and is not fatiguing at all. It just pulls me into the music and makes me want to listen more. With the NightOwls I love the deep soundstage, I can hear a whole concert hall with that pair, and enjoy music for hours!

Here's info on youtube:

That said, from what I read from Rhamnetin, he knows what he's talking about, so I am sure his recommendations are very solid.

Thanks I'll check out the Mojo when I get the chance next time!

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Other than the mojo are there any other decent portable options?

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Other than the mojo are there any other decent portable options?

I had a FIIO Q1 MKII, $100, but was not blown away, had functional issues and I didn't like the sharp edges. Nice format for pairing with phone though.
The OPPO HA-2SE is supposed to be good, looks gorgeous and gets high marks in reviews
The iFi products are also well regarded, the micro is supposed to be close to the Mojo in terms of quality, the nano not that close
Hidizs brought out a very good looking DAC/Amp, the DH1000, also looking gorgeous and having good specs, but there are not that many reviews out yet.

I was looking at those but except of the FIIO I didn't listen to them, so please get opinions from people like @Rhamnetin who really know what's out there and give qualified recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back