Please recommend a portable headphone for me
Aug 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tight_budget

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a set of headphones that can be folded into a case for easy transportation. My musical tastes leans towards a lush, smooth and warm sound. I like bass, but am not a bass head. Don't like sibilance or harsh treble at all. And I will likely be pairing it with the JDS Labs cMOYBB. I mostly listen to jazz, classical, pop oldies from the 60s and 70s, and occasionally rock songs.

I currently own a pair of the Audio Technica ANC7 noise canceling phones. I'm looking for something that would be an upgrade over this set, not necessarily noise canceling. Budget $100 to $200 USD.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Hey,
I'm not exactly sure if this is considered a portable headphone yet are quite small, but I think you might like the Grado GR60 or Grado GR80. But it might be a problem for traveling since the Grados are open... 

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion. Although I may be using them on the plane/trains, I will prefer something that can be folded up and put in a case. Isolation is not that important because I will likely be using them more in hotel rooms at night. I haven't tried Grados before but I have a big head and I'm afraid they may not be comfortable.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 13
Don't get me wrong Grados are very comfortable no matter head size, But its really your choice. Another choice is the Shure SRH-840, they are a closed pair so should be better for your requirements. But you need to buy an amp to power them. Audio-Technica ATH-M50S, same a closed pair of headphones and may require an amp. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
And I will likely be pairing it with the JDS Labs cMOYBB.

He already has an amp...

From the deals thread... @ $219 they are a little more...
http://www.shorelinemusic.com/closeouts/closeout-beyerdynamic-dt1350/

beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 13
The Focal Siprit ONE are very solid built and sound amazing for the price with great isolation but V-Moda M80 are supperior in term of soundquality and bass impact(very good value). Klipsch Image ONE are warm rich sounding headphones with good punchy bass and fairly wide soundstage(they are not very detailed as M80).

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 13
I enjoy the Sennheiser PX-100-II as a folding 'phone.
They sound quite good and are VERY portable.
They are open back (which is probably why they sound so good at the price/size) but don't leak nearly as much as Grados.
These paired well with my JDS cMoy.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 13
esw9........and Bowers P5...if u are looking for lush, smooth mellow sound.

klipsch image one or reference is out.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
esw9........and Bowers P5...if u are looking for lush, smooth mellow sound.

klipsch image one or reference is out.

+1 on the ESW9. Sounds exactly like what you're describing. Great for jazz and female vocals. Lots of people describe it as permanently having a tube amp on it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 13
check out YOUTUBE on how to identify a fake from a genuine esw9 ok....:p
amazon warehouse should be safe i think.
110bucks...wow crazydeal u gotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back