PLEASE Help With Hip Hop!! New Poster needs advice...
Nov 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Gorktastick

Head-Fier
Good evening head-fiers.

I have been an avid reader of all of the IEM posts, and this is my first attempt at a post.  Here goes...

I am looking for an IEM, and in an effort to be best assisted, here are all of my desired characteristics:

-First and foremost, if you were to listen to my heartbeat using a stethescope, it wouldn't sound like the typical "thump thump, thump thump".  Instead, you would hear "BOOM-BAP, BOOM BOOM BOOM-BAP".  That's my way of saying that my heart beats Hip Hop.  I am a true Hip Hop head, and my new IEM's strongest genre must be Hip Hop!!  My top artists in that category are: A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, KRS-ONE, Slick Rick, Busta Rhymes, Outkast, Wu-Tang, MF DOOM, Madlib...  While that is what I listen to the majority of the time, my IEM but also be able to handle: JAZZ: (Grant Green, Blue Mitchell, Wes Montgomery, Sonny Rollins)  FUNK (the Meters, James Brown, Syl Johnson, Sly and the Family Stone) and AFROBEAT: (Fela, the Budos Band)   If I had to sum up all of my musical tastes into one band, however, it would be The Roots. ...sick horns, deep, funky basslines, keys, guitar, vocals, and the illest drummer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live!  

-Price Range: up to $250 (American dollars)

-Previous IEMs :  Monster Turbine Pearl (basically the OG Turbine.  I like them, but there is a lot of room for improvement), Shure SE215 (These guys are decent, but strike me as rather one-dimensional), Klipsch S4i, Etymotic HF3 (love the clarity and definition but, even with EQing, found they lacked the low end I desire), Shure SL3

-Other headphones:  Sennheiser HD-25 mkII

-Most important sound characteristics:  Obviously BASS, given my music preferences, and good replication of horns.  I am admittedly a bassoholic, and need bass with bottomless depth but also with thickness and texture.  I loved the different levels of bass that I heard from my Etymotics, but I obviously need WAY more depth and quantity.  I found the bass of my Turbines to be just ok (I thought I was going to like them far more than I do).  The Turbines seem to be focused too much on mid-bass.  I think I need SUB-bass, but I haven't gotten my hands (I mean ears!) on a pair of IEMs that can do sub-bass - yet.  Ideally I would like it to handle all of the bass frequencies well though. 

-I will be running these unamped from my Iphone 4 (and 5 one day).

-I don't mind if the sound of my IEMs is "colored", as long as it is enjoyable.  In other words, I don't need monitor-like transparency unless you think a certain pair is transparent AND would suit my needs.

-Lastly, I need good build quality and durability.  I live in the concrete jungle and I spend a ton of time walking with my IEMs in.

IEM's I am eyeing (thanks to all of you guys and girls):

-Future Sonics Atrio MG7 (my first choice at the moment)

-Sennheiser ie8 (just saw them for around $250 and really dig removable cables)

-JVC FTX-90

-ClarityOne

-Ortofon EQ-5

-Westone UM2 RC

-Vsonic GR-07

-TFTA 3V2V

-ACS T15

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!!  I would especially like to thank i2ehan, ClieOS, and ljoker for all of your wonderful and hyper informative posts and reviews.  While I value anyone's ideas and opinions, if either of you three would be able to offer your advice, I would be extremely honored and grateful!

Sincerely,
    Gorktastick

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 30
The Monster Miles Davis Tribute would be another to add to your list. It's a jazz-tuned bassmonster, basically. It's my first choice for hip-hop due to the huge bass(both mid and sub) and forward midrange.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 30
I too am a basshead. How'd I know? When I stopped listening to my e-Q7's (as great as they are) and basically always reached for the DDM2's. The Radius are my favorite IEM's I've heard, but they don't meet your "durable" criteria. They are more for indoors use. I've already had one pair break on me.

For those times when I too am navigating the concrete jungle, I have Pro Turbine Coppers. Much more rugged and still have the bass for my face, but not quite the overall luscious sound I love of the DDM's. 

I have never heard the IE8 nor the FX700, however. But those two are out of your price range anyway unless you find a deal.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
The Monster Miles Davis Tribute would be another to add to your list. It's a jazz-tuned bassmonster, basically. It's my first choice for hip-hop due to the huge bass(both mid and sub) and forward midrange.

The Monster Miles Davis Tribute is well above his price range. OH NO!
eek.gif

You could try to find a good deal on Westone 3. Got mine for 279$ but you might find a better deal. They have lots of  bass and extended treble and are great for Hip Hop, and they arent bad for jazz either.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 30
I'd say the IE8 due to the sound, comfort, and build. Hip Hop sounds great on it with unreal soundstage and it's built like a tank while being one of the most comfortable earphones available today.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 30
Thanks for the quick reply as well!  I somehow forgot to add the Radius to my list, as I am considering it too.  If you have heard both, how much better are the DDM2s than the original DDM in terms of bass.  Also, if you have heard the Atrios, how do they compare?

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 30
I haven't listen to the OG Turbines but against the MG7, IE8 has less subbass and more midbass. MG7 has the superior subbass but I still preferred the IE8s sound overall.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 30
You open to earphones nobody knows nothing about that cost almost nothing?

These Monoprice 8320.  You can get anything these guys suggest and then you should also get one of these at monoprice.com.  They cost $7.11. Ya you read right. This is not a joke. These will throw you for a loop. These don't sound anything like cheapo buds. NOTHING like it. They sound more like a fully dynamic $200-$300 headphone.. Don't believe me. Just try one anyway for kicks and see for yourself.. You can tell me I am full of poo if I am wrong.. I listen to my hip hop collection on these. Unreal.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 30
As a fan of hip-hop and EDM as well I'm in the bass head category.  My Monster Turbine Pro Gold IEMs are really ideal.  The Coppers are usually more recommended overall, with a more balanced sound, but the Golds have a nice amount of extra bass to them.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the Miles Davis Tributes and I hear they're great as well, but the Gold Turbines are bass monsters with... well I'll just say they're ideal for my chosen music and I'd think they would do you just as well.  That's my opinion after having owned them for about a year or so now.  The only fault I can give them is that of the million tips they offer in the package, not one fit my ear even slightly.  The Sony hybrids, or even better Comply or Shure Olives, are perfect, for me.  Many people find the Monster tip selection just fine but I'm one of the few with fitment issues on their tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back