PLEASE Help With Hip Hop!! New Poster needs advice...
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 30
Their price fluctuates quite a bit on Amazon but they're usually around $250 on there(bad timing lol), sometimes less. Best Buy has them for $200 if you're lucky enough that they're in stock at your local store(can't get them online). Might try OneCall. As far as bass vs. the OG Turbines go(still have a pair kickin' around I completely forgot I had), the MDTs have more mid and sub-bass quantity, but not by a lot. Better quality bass of course.

Quote:
The Monster Miles Davis Tribute is well above his price range. OH NO!
eek.gif

You could try to find a good deal on Westone 3. Got mine for 279$ but you might find a better deal. They have lots of  bass and extended treble and are great for Hip Hop, and they arent bad for jazz either.

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
-Price Range: up to $250 (American dollars)

-Most important sound characteristics:  Obviously BASS, given my music preferences, and good replication of horns.  I am admittedly a bassoholic, and need bass with bottomless depth but also with thickness and texture.  I loved the different levels of bass that I heard from my Etymotics, but I obviously need WAY more depth and quantity.  I found the bass of my Turbines to be just ok (I thought I was going to like them far more than I do).  The Turbines seem to be focused too much on mid-bass.  I think I need SUB-bass, but I haven't gotten my hands (I mean ears!) on a pair of IEMs that can do sub-bass - yet.  Ideally I would like it to handle all of the bass frequencies well though

-I will be running these unamped from my Iphone 4 (and 5 one day).

-I don't mind if the sound of my IEMs is "colored", as long as it is enjoyable.  In other words, I don't need monitor-like transparency unless you think a certain pair is transparent AND would suit my needs.

-Lastly, I need good build quality and durability.  I live in the concrete jungle and I spend a ton of time walking with my IEMs in.

First off, l thank you for the kind words, my friend. Both ClieOS and |joker| are in another league altogether, and MUCH more knowledgeable & experienced than I am. Hopefully they can chime in as well at some point. Our friend -y0- happens to listen to many of the same artists as you, so I certainly wouldn't take his suggestions lightly either. 
smile.gif

That said, based on your criteria (as I've highlighted above in red), my recommendations are as follows. For starters, if you're concerned with build quality, while I'm quite fond of their sound, I'd have to rule out the Monster line-up, for reasons far too obvious. It's a shame that the FX700 is well outside of your budget (unless purchased second hand of course), as it is the very first one that comes to mind given your criteria. If ever you do consider extending your budget, simply put, you need not look past the FX700. Meanwhile, at $250 and below, I'd heavily consider the following: IE8, Atrio M5 (mg7), DDM2 (aka Radius TWF21), FXT90, and ClarityOne. I've covered the ClarityOne in my review, where I've also compared it to the FXT90 (see second post). As per the former 3 recommendations, I'd pay |joker|'s thread a much closer look, and see which one(s) you find most appealing. I still do stand behind the FX700, above all else, as they're just what you're after, my friend. If they're at all a possibility, they'll surely be worth the extra premium. All the best! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

First off, l thank you for the kind words, my friend. Both ClieOS and |joker| are in another league altogether, and MUCH more knowledgeable & experienced than I am. Hopefully they can chime in as well at some point. Our friend -y0- happens to listen to many of the same artists as you, so I certainly wouldn't take his suggestions lightly either. 
smile.gif

That said, based on your criteria (as I've highlighted above in red), my recommendations are as follows. For starters, if you're concerned with build quality, while I'm quite fond of their sound, I'd have to rule out the Monster line-up, for reasons far too obvious. It's a shame that the FX700 is well outside of your budget (unless purchased second hand of course), as it is the very first one that comes to mind given your criteria. If ever you do consider extending your budget, simply put, you need not look past the FX700. Meanwhile, at $250 and below, I'd heavily consider the following: IE8, Atrio M5 (mg7), DDM2 (aka Radius TWF21), FXT90, and ClarityOne. I've covered the ClarityOne in my review, where I've also compared it to the FXT90 (see second post). As per the former 3 recommendations, I'd pay |joker|'s thread a much closer look, and see which one(s) you find most appealing. I still do stand behind the FX700, above all else, as they're just what you're after, my friend. If they're at all a possibility, they'll surely be worth the extra premium. All the best! 
biggrin.gif

I totally agree, if you can go a little higher to get the FX700, do it. The short cable turned away from it for a long time but I finally got it recently and haven't looked back. All music sounds amazing on it, especially hip-hop. Eric B. & Rakim never sounded better.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #19 of 30
I really want to try the FX700s sometime but wouldn't recessed mids not be ideal for hip-hop? As a sometimes hip-hop listener I like the lyricist to be as much a star of the show as the bass.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
I really want to try the FX700s sometime but wouldn't recessed mids not be ideal for hip-hop? As a sometimes hip-hop listener I like the lyricist to be as much a star of the show as the bass.

The mids aren't recessed, they're simply neutral. Not to mention, the aggressive, albeit extremely textured high and low end may give off that impression, but my current set is over a year and a half old, and I experience no midrange recession whatsoever. The pair -y0- has were just recently newly purchased, so there may be a perceivable difference, but I've spent hours on end listening to vocal trance with my FX700's, and never once did I feel the midrange was recessed. 
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

The mids aren't recessed, they're simply neutral. Not to mention, the aggressive, albeit extremely textured high and low end may give off that impression, but my current set is over a year and a half old, and I experience no midrange recession whatsoever. The pair -y0- has were just recently newly purchased, so there may be a perceivable difference, but I've spent hours on end listening to vocal trance with my FX700's, and never once did I feel the midrange was recessed. 
smile.gif

I don't find them recessed either. Maybe it sounds that way to some because of the sparkly treble and powerful bass?

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #22 of 30
Ah, I guess "recessed" and "not forward like the treble and bass" aren't necessarily the same thing. I've just seen that mentioned a lot on here about the FX700s. I still think forward mids + big bass suit hip-hop the best, but that's just my personal preference for the genre. How's the bass on those new JVC dual-drivers? In lurking that thread I saw a few people mention that the mids were forward.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:
Ah, I guess "recessed" and "not forward like the treble and bass" aren't necessarily the same thing. I've just seen that mentioned a lot on here about the FX700s. I still think forward mids + big bass suit hip-hop the best, but that's just my personal preference for the genre. How's the bass on those new JVC dual-drivers? In lurking that thread I saw a few people mention that the mids were forward.

I personally consider them much closer to balanced, than forward. If asked to name a few in-ears with a forward midrange, the FXT90 would certainly not cross my mind. The FXT90 has a weighty low end, no doubt about it. But it's more specifically channeled towards sub-bass emphasis, than mid-bass emphasis, and more often than not, I tend to prefer it that way. Though there are always exceptions (ClarityOne). 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #24 of 30
I dont know about the IE8's (never had the pleasure to have them - will have next month though :p ) but I prefer my IE7's to my Miles Davis Trumpets for hip hop. That is because the bass quantity to my ears is more.
Consider the Fischer Eterna's. They have very good ammounts of bass. clarity is super. I loved mine till one side broke, but whilst I had them they were my most used IEM. Their fit is better than the Sennheiser's also.
(On the IE VS MDTrumpet: Lil Wayne's John on the MD's using a cowon ->Fiio e7 is WOW and doesent even distort at all.)

A question is: What source are you using? iPod -> headphones or iPod -> LOD -> amp -> earphone? I only ask because I find that even though the S9 is a nice player adding a Fiio E7 gave my bass better definition and texture. Separation was much improved on the IE7's and bass doesent distort the rest of the spectrum if I want to listen to my music a bit louder.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #25 of 30
Hey man!

Well i see your looking for bass, but also like listening to jazz etc.

I would suggest the TFTA 1V's (not the ones you have there)
You have the TFTA1XB's - don't get me wrong I'm listening to my TFTA 1XB's (the ones you listed) as we speak listening to some snoop dogg - signs, but if you want it to cover your whole music range, maybe the 1V's will better suit you.

Bass wise though, the 1XB's (the ones you listed destroy anything I've ever heard brother!)

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 30
Well There's no Doubt I2 is the King of the Dance floor, I'd send him a couple hundred PM's. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 30
Just one more thing, aint nothing bad in getting 2 :p I stick my head out and say go with some Fischer Eterna's that give you a cracking wet sound at a reasonable price.

Also with HipHop soundstage is not as important as different genres, due to the way its going and being over-engineered especially commercial rap/Hip Hop.
The roots are freaking amazing, I have an album called : Late Night With The Roots (Which is the Late night with jimmy fallon parts where artists on the show do a performance but instruments by the roots) - WOW, have a look at that. for music like that I prefer the Senn IE7's as they're quite neutral for a bass heavy IEM yet sound great but for pure fun sound and a good thump of bass, good soundstage and an awesome liquid smooth mid range freq - Fischer Eternas. Yes they are about half the price of the Senns and maybe even a 1/3 of everything on your list but out of everything I've heard they are the most enjoyable. 

If horns are that important I'd suggest the Miles Davis Trumpets, as they have a hornier look than the IE7's hahaha! (Gotta throw in a joke somewhere). Imho the MD's have slightly better bass representation and bass clarity that the IE7's but marginally. IE7's have more bass, a fuller sound, versatile so are the MD Trumpets but both of those are only overall marginally better than the Eterna's! IMHO The eterna's are the best value IEMs then the IE7's. I'd suggest them esp on a budget. Have a look around for some of the reviews. 

Oh and the Trumpets have a crap cable! - Reason why I dont want mine any more. Nozzle size is massive too, whilst being fairly comfortable I think they are not as comfy as the Senns. IE7/8s have the best cable... of any IEM possibly? What I will say is you will not be disappointed from any of your list but there isnt any harm in getting 2 :p The Eterna's now and another pair later. Maybe i'm just a deluded lover of the Eterna's but I sure as hell aint the only one who thinks theyre the best reasonably prices IEM that can get in the ring with the top ones. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #29 of 30
Just got my IE7's and please don't get them if you want bass...
Nice soundstage, nice mids, but bass feels somewhat lost behind.
I feel like the punch on the IE7's is = or just a tad better than my old Sony EX500's
(fit is a real issue with the IE7's, when i hold them on my ears, bass is deeper/longer, as it should be....but honestly with fittings like this, I'm gonna need tripple flangue tips to get any sort of bass - due to their over the ear design)

I bought my IE7's for £38 from play.com (used with no tips etc), so they are genuine, but definitely not worth the £100 price tag - £60 max is what I would pay for the Ie7's
That's in my opinion :)

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #30 of 30
Did you ever decide on anything? Noticed this in your OP: "I live in the concrete jungle and I spend a ton of time walking with my IEMs in." So you'd probably want something with more isolation than what the FX700 provides to drown out the sounds of the city, based on how lacking people on here say it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back