Please help me with my survey (about storage)
Jun 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #76 of 255
I've lost track, I have about 4TB of storage, but most of it dedicated to professional photography with redundancy, which also includes my music.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #77 of 255
You tried it? SSD sounds better to my ears. External drives are a close second with internal HDD sounding well.. bad. Some say flash drives are better yet. Doesn't need to be pricy so long as you're willing to take 5 seconds to copy music off a HDD onto the SSD before starting playback. You can do the whole SS playback thing with a 1GB USB stick if you've still got one around.

I can assure you there is zero benefit. Regardless of your storage media, every track you play is buffered into system memory first. If you really think SSDs sound different, try using a RAMdisk. Unless you have a mechanical disk in an undamped metal tray three inches from your ear, I promise you that you're being sold snake oil. That being said, SSDs are great for everything else -- I've used them since Samsung released a 16GB model a number of years back.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #78 of 255
about a couple hundred past 500gb here on a NAS, but that includes concert dvds and a few memorable movies/tv shows. copied a hundred gigs or less into the internal hard drive for quick play/critical listening. using a WDTV and iPad apps to stream media to TV/bedside speaker

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #80 of 255
  I feel like quite a few members here would be at high risk using a single disk for storage -- RAID5 or RAID10 NAS (or a SAN if you're incredibly wealthy) setups should be more common, as they can be assembled fairly cheaply nowadays. I do nightly backups onto an 8-disk HP Proliant, which I scored from work for free (ask your IT friends about old servers -- we usually scrap them or give them away!), and having the redundancy available is paramount to making sure I'm not caught lamenting an entire music collection getting flushed down the toilet. Hard disks die (often), and having redundant backups is the easiest way to protect your data.

Not many people even know what a RAID configuration is, and if they do, it's RAID 0(you can  get desktops and laptops configured with this so I guess that's the only reason they would know it). Also, you need at least 3 disks for a RAID 5 conifig iirc, and that can be expensive. I agree though, Redundancy is extremely important when it comes to computing, whether it's processors, RAM, raphics cards and especially storage. I, personally, have 2 portable 1TB drives that are 1 to 1 copies of each other (got them for $70 bucks each which is pretty cheap here).

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #81 of 255
I use a 160 GB hard drive salvaged from an old computer and stored in a case. I have not really transfered all my physical collection due to a lack of time (and a PC back home: I AM IN DIRE STRAITS), but all my downloads, specially the HD ones go there. If I ever get a TB card I'll transfer them there, or even an iPod Classic. Oh, and most of all I have FLAC files, like two albums in WAV and some 320kbps MP3 files. I also have some low quality MP3s, surviving from the times of mp3.com.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #83 of 255
My Collection of flac-files takes about 5TB of storage.
Nowadays  I'm mostly intertested i highres 24-bit flac files.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #84 of 255
You tried it? SSD sounds better to my ears. External drives are a close second with internal HDD sounding well.. bad. Some say flash drives are better yet. Doesn't need to be pricy so long as you're willing to take 5 seconds to copy music off a HDD onto the SSD before starting playback. You can do the whole SS playback thing with a 1GB USB stick if you've still got one around.

I generally don't comment on the length that people will go to try to make themselves think they are improving on their SQ, this is obviously a very personal hobby. But, this? For there to be a difference the data would have to be changed in some way to change the SQ. Do you have an explanation for the difference or is it just something that you hear?

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #85 of 255

Sorry if this surprises you, but this is complete and utter nonsense.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #86 of 255
I can assure you there is zero benefit. Regardless of your storage media, every track you play is buffered into system memory first. If you really think SSDs sound different, try using a RAMdisk. Unless you have a mechanical disk in an undamped metal tray three inches from your ear, I promise you that you're being sold snake oil. That being said, SSDs are great for everything else -- I've used them since Samsung released a 16GB model a number of years back.

I generally don't comment on the length that people will go to try to make themselves think they are improving on their SQ, this is obviously a very personal hobby. But, this? For there to be a difference the data would have to be changed in some way to change the SQ. Do you have an explanation for the difference or is it just something that you hear?

Sorry if this surprises you, but this is complete and utter nonsense.

I think your sarcasm detector failed you, I'm surprised any1 would even think people would be that stupid to actually believe that.... jeeeeeeeeze

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #87 of 255
I think your sarcasm detector failed you, I'm surprised any1 would even think people would be that stupid to actually believe that.... jeeeeeeeeze

Everything wrong can be called sarcasm/parody/trolling in hindsight.

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #88 of 255
I've been using a 500gb external drive for about 5 years now. Its full up, but instead of buying more space, I'll delete anything that hasn't been listened to again. This way I'm not just constantly collecting music without appreciating it (well, most of it anyhow).  

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #90 of 255
Hi,

The media folder on my NAS currently weighs in at 1442GB - 437GB are flac rips of my CDs, the remainder is DVD and blu-ray rips.

When at home, I prefer to bring out the actual media when listening to an album or watching a movie - but I do a fair bit of traveling at work, and having a couple of dozen movies and a hundred or so albums in a folder on my laptop makes for excellent entertainment after the working day is over. Plus, a backup is always a nice thing to have.

Yes, I do have backups; with storage effectively being free these days*, I mirror my home NAS onto a couple of extra tapes in the tape robot at work weekly. In addition to my music and movies, the array also holds 10 years of digital photos and scans of my negatives/positives from before going digital + various odds and ends.

*)That obviously is an exaggeration, but an album backed up so that I am pretty confident nothing short of a full-scale nuclear war will make me have to rip it again sets me back approx. USD 0.45 - well worth it, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back