Please help me plan my upgrade path
Aug 22, 2011 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nkdi2211

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to headphone, head-fi, or any thing with the head-thing, squeaky new. LOL

I just bought an ATH - M50 and a Sansa Fuze 8GB ( they haven't not arrived yet), plan to find Flac songs to replace my 128 Kbps music.

I plan to buy Fiio E7 And E9 combo and the Sennheiser HD 650 in the future but I don't know in which order should i buy them.
Should I buy and E7 for my M50 first or e7+e9 at same time , or just wait to buy the HD 650 first. 

Oh and would you recommended any other headphone or amps as the alternatives for those. I am currently listening to Kpop (Mr.Taxi -SNSD , Roly Poly - T-ara .etc...) and Korean Ballad  ( Remember- Gavy NJ .etc...). I chose those gadgets because Head-fiers seem to love these the most.  Any thought???

Well, This come from a guy who thought that he would never buy a headphone cost more than 100 buck 5 months ago, use ROSS's earphones with 2 weeks average lifespan and 128 kbps songs till about a months ago.
Then I first buy Koss Portapro and use it with Fiio E3 it's was like What. After that, with your forum, it make me curious to listen to even more better stuffs, end up with hd650 in the plan What did you do to me, head-fi. GAWD DAMMIT. I will be broke till who know when. Tck-tck.

Well , Jokes aside , pls help me tho,  i sincerely appreciate your time.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 10
It may be good to spend some time with your ATH-M50 and the Fuze before buying anything. Find out if the M50 sound is your thing. There really isn't a need to 'plan' an upgrade path per se, it will reveal itself to you when you start listening to a wider variety of cans. You'll find out what 'sound' you like and then do more research on those types of cans. Hold off on the E7 because it's not gonna make that much of a difference vis-a-vis the Fuze. 

Take your time, and enjoy the way there.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Yup, wise words ^

If you feel like the M50's are not enough for you...sell and upgrade. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 10
The M-50 are very bass emphisased headphones, so they will work great with electronica, metal, pop, jazz. Mostly electronica though as I believe they are DJ headphones. None the less I would have gotten an ipod as it would greatly benefit from an LOD, though I believe iBassio makes good quality ones with Sansa Fuse ends on it (and cheap). As for the E7, its great if you are going to use it for your computer as well because of the built in DAC, which makes it quite a versatile device, especially if you are going buy the E9. But if you are not going to not use the DAC function and you want to to use it for strictly portable use, I would recomment the the Digizoid ZO as its way better for bassy music. I believe Digizoid will be releasing v2 of the ZO soon with more improvements. But it will cost around $120 I believe.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 10
OP: you have a unique opportunity to let the headphones grow on you, and decide for yourself how they sound. Rinse and repeat this for the rest of your headphones. It will become a certain kind of madness if, one day, you change your opinion on a headphone you've already heard based on what people say they sound like.

krod3003: No disrespect to you for trying to describe the M50's sound.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 10
I also started with a M50 .. then put in a E7/E9 which I'm really happy with. Then went through looking for a better headphone for a while which had better vocals/mids and ended up with the Shure SHR-940. I have since sold everything except my 940 and the E7/E9. I think the pairing is fantastic and I think I will be happy for quite a while.

I also love ballads and things with lots of female vocals like cantopop and Jpop .. and also taylor swift and avril lavigne. The 940 is just so so good with these.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
OP: you have a unique opportunity to let the headphones grow on you, and decide for yourself how they sound. Rinse and repeat this for the rest of your headphones. It will become a certain kind of madness if, one day, you change your opinion on a headphone you've already heard based on what people say they sound like.

krod3003: No disrespect to you for trying to describe the M50's sound.

None taken sir
biggrin.gif
 and it is true, you really can't discribe how something sounds, you literally have to hear it. Even if i'd try to explain it using Audiophille terms it wouldn't be much help unless you heard it or heard something similar. And you also have to decide what genre of music you listen to most and the perpose behind your choice.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the help. 
I will look into the Srh 940 as my alternative for the M50 then. 
You tell me exactly what i want to know, As I want to know a mid/vocal headphone. 
Oh and,why ppl say that it's "female vocal" as a more detailed description for the mid/vocal. As I recall, there isn't that many "male vocal" , just "vocal" . Is it discriminating, :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back