Please help me figure out which SS amp to get!
Aug 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

amoeba1126

100+ Head-Fier
I have narrowed my choices to the following and would like you guys feedback and input to further narrow down my choices.

- Yulong A18
- Vioelectric V200
- Burson Soloist SL

I currently have a pair of Audeze LCD-2's, JDS Labs ODAC, and Schiit Lyr. I love my Lyr but I really would like to get a nice SS amp as well. If it helps, I listen to a lot of female vocals, soul, classical rock, jazz, and classical music. More recently, I also been listening to a lot of EDM. My budget is around $900 or less.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 3
So according to Audeze in order for the headphones not to clip you would need to output at least 1W into 50ohms.  Because of that I would count out the Burson SL and just go for the soloist.  Also the I think the bottleneck in your chain is more your dac than your amp.  The Lyr surprisingly puts out more than enough power to make the LCD2's sing.  Is it ideal, no, but I think that you will hear a bigger difference if you upgrade the ODAC.  If you want my opinion on which amp out of those three to get though I would go for the Vioelectirc.  Also there is a LCD2 amp recommendations thread already which you might want to check out.  

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
So according to Audeze in order for the headphones not to clip you would need to output at least 1W into 50ohms.  Because of that I would count out the Burson SL and just go for the soloist.  Also the I think the bottleneck in your chain is more your dac than your amp.  The Lyr surprisingly puts out more than enough power to make the LCD2's sing.  Is it ideal, no, but I think that you will hear a bigger difference if you upgrade the ODAC.  If you want my opinion on which amp out of those three to get though I would go for the Vioelectirc.  Also there is a LCD2 amp recommendations thread already which you might want to check out.  

I plan on eventually upgrading from the ODAC to a Yulong D100 or D18 at some point in the near future after I sell my ODAC and quite possibly my Lyr. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back