please help me decide on new amp (and maybe dac) for my new LCD3's
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stingers96

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a pair of Audez'e LCD3 phones, and wow, they are really that good. I need to upgrade my hardware to let these phones give me their full potential.  Right now I am considering the following equipment, but am open to suggestions from those with experience with their suggestion and the LCD3's.  I also welcome any comments on the pairing of the below equipment and the LCD3's.  I have read a lot, and have a lot more to read, I really want to pair them with well matched hardware to fully enjoy them.I would like to keep the cost under $3,000

Choices so far:

Cary Audio HH-1 headphone amp AND Cary Audio Xciter DAC 
Bryston BHA-1 Balanced Headphone amp possibly with Bryston BDA-2 (a little over budget)
April Music Eximus DP1 DAC (can be used as headphone amp, preamp and DAC)

I have as Musical Fidelity M1 Dac and a KingRex UD384, either of which I could use with this setup if I only purchase an amp. You can view my other equipment in my profile.

I have read great things about gear from Woo and Audio-GD but haven't narrowed them down to a specific piece yet.  Of my choices above I am leaning towards the Bryston amp and saving for a little and buying a DAC in a short while.  I like the fact that it is a balanced amp, which can only improve the sound quality.  

Thanks in advance for you time and opinions.  If you can point me to a thread that's already dealt with the same situation, please fell free to do so.  Any input is appreciated.

Ryan 

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 7
There are good amps that will drive the LCD-3's properly, it depends on the kind of sound you like. 

Bryston and the Burson Soloist (to mention a couple) are well known amps, take a look at their threads on the forum. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 7
wound up buying the Bryston BHA-1 and the Bryston BDA-1 dac.  using silver dragon from moon audio balanced xlr headphone cables, moon audio silver dragon usb and power cables also.  it sounds as good as i expected

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 7
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/718082/current-equipment/

link to my gallery on head-fi

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/718082/current-equipment/

link to my gallery on head-fi

Your set up looks like SERIOUS fun. Those two black Bryston pieces with
the silver mac on top is a nice looking trio.  At first I thought the wires looked
a little "unruly" but then I noticed that the brands and realized that those cables
DEFINITELY needed to be displayed - Congrats stingers96!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back